Paste of Stickiness, Poison Cache, and Poison Trigger

Surion Maedhros

Marshal
Paste of Stickiness, when applied to a weapon, allows you to Resist a "Disarm" effect for 10 minutes. It also prevents you from letting go of the weapon, even if it's shattered. Though it isn't explicit, I'm assuming the intended rule is that these are the only effects that apply when applied to a weapon (i.e. no grabbing bodies with your polearm, no grabbing weapons with your hand to stick to them, etc.). Imagining otherwise gets unsafe quickly.

1) Can you put a Paste of Stickiness in a Poison Cache? If so, can you have a weapon stuck to you while it has an Enfeeble Poison on it, or are weapons un-coatable while they're stuck to you? If not, does applying a Paste of Stickiness mean you can't use the Poison Cache ritual at all?

2) Can you put a Paste of Stickiness in a Poison Trigger? If so, can you "choose" when it's active, allowing you to Resist Disarm while still being able to let go of the weapon? If not, does applying a Paste of Stickiness mean you can't use the Poison Trigger ritual at all?

3) Can you do both, allowing you to fill a Cache slot with a "Resist Disarm" with no ill effects?

The text of Poison Cache and Poison Trigger say they work with "Contact Poisons", but I don't think they mean only Contact Gels that add a Poison qualifier, as that would mean that Vorpal Coatings would cause the same hiccups.

So, it finally happened. The Question Was Asked.

Here's my interpretation:

1) Most Contact Poisons have an effect when they are delivered via a weapon attack and damage is impressed onto the body.

2) Paste of Stickiness (and its opposite) have an effect when applied, not when delivered.

3) Once applied, the effect begins. At that point, the Paste of Stickness, as a contact poison, ceases to exist, and the effect remains.

4) Because of this, a Paste of Stickiness cannot be stored, because when you try to apply it, the effect begins, and the Paste ceases to exist.

5) Thus, no, a Paste of Stickiness cannot be used as a weapon coating, but only because the nature of applying it is what actually activates it.

Upvote 0
That makes sense. To clarify, I think your answer to all three examples would be "No, but you can use/trigger other Poisons as normal while the weapon's stuck to you."

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm not sure if it should work. But if it does:

I think poison cache is worded in such a way it should work. I think poison trigger is worded in such a way it should work. HOWEVER, I'm not sure we have a way to activate the paste. Maybe "Activate Poison Paste of Stickiness" would fit the pattern of how calls work, but activatable poison isn't really mentioned anywhere as an option.

But if it did, I think this is how it would work when applied to a weapon with a poison trigger. The paste is inert until you activate it with the "Poison Trigger". At that point in time, anyone who holds the weapon for more than 3 seconds will get stuck to it for the next 10 minutes. If you activated multiple pastes at once held in a "poison cache"s it would NOT give you multiple resist-disarms, it'd just reset the 10 minute duration. You could conceivable activate a paste, wait 3 seconds, use it to resist a disarm within 10 minutes, activate a paste, wait 3 seconds, and use the new paste to resist a second disarm within 10 minutes. If you activated the paste and the dropped it before you held the weapon for 3 seconds, the next person to pick up the weapon and hold it for 3 seconds should become stuck to it.

This would mean if you were hit by a disarm, and had not triggered the paste in advance or 10 minutes had passed since you activated the paste, you would be disarmed.

What I'm not clear on is if you can activate it.

Upvote 0
I misread wording, disregard.

Upvote 0
That makes sense. To clarify, I think your answer to all three examples would be "No, but you can use/trigger other Poisons as normal while the weapon's stuck to you."

I would absolutely agree, assuming that you're using the weapon legally.

Upvote 0
A momentous day indeed. I 100% with no quibbles agree with @Draven . ;)

Upvote 0
Back