PC Crafting Materials Survey

Willem Rivet

Artisan
Hello!
I'm JT, and I play a merchant-minded Artisan up in Chicago. The local Merchant Guild was talking about the wider economy of Crafting Materials and how we value them vs. other chapters and I was wondering if I could poll each chapter and see directly from them how the implementation is going there. So here I am!

In Chicago, we value single Crafting Materials as a silver coin. There has been some grumbling about it from non-Artisan folk, and it definitely gets purchased for coin by the Merchants Guild when Town Auction happens so the split is primarily coin (unless the person would rather CM than coin.)

So my questions are:
How are Crafting Materials valued in your chapter? Does everyone agree on this assessment, or is there debate?
Does everyone engage with it, or is it ignored by some groups?
Thank you for taking time to reply. At the very least discuss this amongst yourselves if consensus hasn't been reached.

My DMs are open if you want to reply privately, but I think the public discussion is helpful.

Thanks again!
-JT

The current mindset (last I checked) in VA was treating 1 CM = 1 Silver.
I haven't heard much, if any, debate on it so far down here. I know some of our thoughts is since the Profession skill gives you 1 Silver OR 1 CM, that it's a reasonable leap of logic.

Let me speak as someone who has been collecting CM and does crafting in the VA chapter, its 1 cm = 5 cp. I also know what how its been being done in most of if not all of the treasure splits.

As profession is not the only way to obtain CM, linking it to soley the profession exchange rate is faulty logic. Remember you recycle a rank 8 item, you get 8cm. the standard has always been twice the cost in crafting materials is the cost of the item. so whatever you sell an rank 8 item at, which last time I tried to buy one is still 8 silver, that would put the cost of a CM at 5 cp. Now mind you this doesnt take in account local supply and demand.

Let me speak as someone who has been collecting CM and does crafting in the VA chapter, its 1 cm = 5 cp. I also know what how its been being done in most of if not all of the treasure splits.

As profession is not the only way to obtain CM, linking it to soley the profession exchange rate is faulty logic. Remember you recycle a rank 8 item, you get 8cm. the standard has always been twice the cost in crafting materials is the cost of the item. so whatever you sell an rank 8 item at, which last time I tried to buy one is still 8 silver, that would put the cost of a CM at 5 cp. Now mind you this doesnt take in account local supply and demand.
While the majority of chapters seems to use the CM=1 Silver mindset, people in VA aren't alone in doing the 5 copper method. So far in this survey I've seen two chapters use that method. And it isn't an invalid look at the "cost of time/buy for 2x" mindset. The way the Chicago Merchant Guild handles that is on making Production more expensive to keep CM intact at 1 Silver, but in my mind it's all the same thing.

-JT

You also need to realize that the Virginia chapter also has LCO resource cards; although they can not be used for craft materials they tend to be qite valuable and push down the floor on the value of CM.

You also need to realize that the Virginia chapter also has LCO resource cards; although they can not be used for craft materials they tend to be qite valuable and push down the floor on the value of CM.
We used some for LCO ritual casting. I think we are about to use some for Tinkering crafting, but have to wait till the next event to confirm that. Regardless CM are just about given away in VA! Especially since Necromancy in all forms is illegal, and you can't even carry it to recycle with out a writ.

Back