PC-Run Tavern/Inn

Dr_Chill

Fighter
I was wondering if anyone out there has had any experience with a PC-Run IG tavern/Inn. If so, I would like to hear about it. What did you find worked well, what didn't work. Did you charge in-game coin for services, if so how much? I am considering going this route with a new character concept and was looking for some input as I don't want to set myself up for failure either.

Thanks!

-Ryan

Check with your local game first and foremost. If they've got tavern plans, especially in games with a small playerbase, they may not want competition or be willing to just have you run the 'official' tavern. I've helped run one in Kzoo for a weekend that the usual keeper couldn't show, but the whole 'no games closer than several hours drive' makes it impractical to do again.

Some things to consider :

Do any of your players have food allergies that will be a concern?
Can you afford taking a loss on the costs of food and drink if players don't buy, or you only accept in-game money?
Can you provide products and services cheaply and in a timely enough manner to be attractive to players over bringing their own food or running offsite?
What kitchen resources does your site have that you can use? What can you bring with? This will determine the absolute limits to what you can offer.

And lastly but most importantly :
Are you comfortable with not doing much of anything but run the tavern and clean at game?

Assuming running the tavern is not an issue, as well as the cost, etc. What types of in-game experiences have ppl had with a PC-run tavern either playing the PC Innkeeper or playing with the PC innkeeper. Also, what are typical IG coin rates that are charged?

In Ohio we have two PC towns and both Taverns (one in each) are run by PC's- My PC Quinn owns the Amber Oak in Zarden (Summer) and Sarah's PC Lilliana runs the Warm Mug Inn in Ironton (Winter). Feel free to post on the Ohio boards for reviews of the Taverns/meals/etc. from our players...

Basically Ohio collects real-world money from all players for food (part of registration) and PC tavern owners get paid IG coin (a salary per weekend) by the NPCs who run the town for operating the tavern services. Since the Game usually pays for most food coin collected from PCs for meals (usually only 2 silver) or NPCs goes back to NPC camp though if a tavern owner pays real money to bring something extra to sell any coin they collect for that is theirs. For instance I usually bring baked goods and Sarah makes soup for some extra coin -- "luxury" items that aren't part of the regular meal but that people may want after running around all day.

Since the way we run our Taverns are for full home-cooked meals (like roast pork loins, baked turkeys, omelets/pancakes and french toast for breakfast, etc) both Sarah and I find that the Tavern takes up a LOT of time and I know we've both missed chunks of plot, battles and even entire game days cooking, cleaning and so forth...and that can put a dent in the treasure/coin you pull in but, really, the tips and extra coin from luxury items can really make up for it if you have appreciative PCs (both IG and OOG for all the work you're doing). I think I see more coin on a weekend as a PC than most other PCs in Ohio but I definitely miss out on magic items, ritual scrolls and reagents (and, as a Ritualist, thats annoying-- thank goodness for the team stockpiling)

Ohio also gives our PC Tavern keeps the chance to pull a reward as if they NPC'd due to the sheer amount of work and cleaning it takes.

My suggestion: after several events of going it alone I eventually began hiring other PCs to handle some of the day to day tasks- pay someone a few coins to do dishes, someone else a few more to do some prep work for me and then split tips with someone willing to help me serve at meal times. This not only involved a lot of other PCs in the tavern but its more fun for me, for them (I hope) and it gives me a little more free time away from the stove/sink to work on plot with everyone else. As time has gone on I've gotten a few regular employees who are willing to devote an hour or two of their game time to helping in the tavern for some coin (and ritual casting/spellcrafting as needed). In extreme circumstances I've even had random NPCs come into town looking for work as the plot team realized I needed help (or I asked them for help-- I'm not proud... much). When i started the tavern I went an entire weekend without stepping outside but after a summer season of events this year I was able to spend more than half my time out of the tavern with, I hope, no loss of quality (or quantity!) of food thanks to the support of the rest of Staff and all of the other Players.

And also: Enjoy the role as "Congregation Place". In Ohio everyone hangs out at the taverns- waiting for meals or for NPCs and having a Tavern Keep (or employee) around is useful for spreading information and plot hooks out to people who might not otherwise hear about them. In the Tavern I hear pretty much EVERYTHING so even if I can't get out to interact myself I never feel behind on what is happening in plot. Once again this has a lot to do with other players caring enough about the OOG work you're doing to remember to come tell you lol. As the Tavern Keeps a lot of NPCs react well to me and Sarah simply because we're town fixtures- people eat at our taverns between events and NPCs come there for food so we can be among the first to be approached by the local authorities or NPCs needing help or info because we're familiar to them and usually easy to locate.

On another note, as a Marshal, being in the Tavern is a convenient place for people to find me if they need to snag someone for a Rogue marshaling or a Ritual if all of the other NPCs/Marshals are busy or ... distracting... the rest of town lol.

In Ohio we're fortunate enough to have (usually) full kitchens to work with at the sites we pick for events. If we didn't we'd certainly have to adjust our menu's but I can't imagine an Ohio game without a Tavern of some kind- and I don't think we ever will. The Tavern in Zarden was run by PCs before I ever took over for it (Amanda/Charles then Brad Classic I believe) and while I may entertain selling it to another PC IG who really wants the RP and rewards (as its not really something my PC ever wanted to do and eventually wants to pass one to someone who really wants it) I wouldn't want it to become an NPC establishment.

I've run the Crooked Cup Tavern in the San Francisco chapter. I started it because the NPC establishment, the Stumble Inn, didn't have any real drinks for a few of our first events. I didn't bother to serve any food but went to a Longs or Walgreens before an event and picked up a half dozen 12 packs of soda. I sold each drink for 6 coppers a piece or 2 for one silver (our chapter is a poor one). Most places (including the Stumble Inn) sell a drink for 1 silver a piece so it was decided that I just sell rotgut.

My experiences haven't been that much from other players during the game. When we finally had a place I could put up a shop via hanging a bunch of canvas, I would get a couple of players from time to time asking if they could 'borrow' my tavern for private meetings either with each other or NPC's. I required that I was part of it because it was my establishment so I got to overhear some stuff but nothing major. There was also one time when the town needed to bribe some local tribe with ale so I brought out seven cases of soda for them to take with them (I got it right back from plot).

I don't charge any out of game money for the drinks and plot gives me some gobbies for the soda as if I paid money for props. I had begun to think about expanding things a bit more, with real tankards making an actual 'bar' and so on, but I am weighing the cost/reward balance. You have to remember that tavern keepers usually just kept people wet and fed and simply nodded adventurers to the plothooks but rarely took part in it themselves.

In Traverse City, there is a PC run tavern with the PC Gwen Sudicar as the tavernkeep. She charges IG coin and I think food is served on a donation basis.

While my character does not own/run a tavern, he is a wine and alcohol merchant. I sell my drinks for IG money only, but I ask for the bottles back at the end of the event so I can wash them and re-use them at a later event. There is attrition of bottles, but in the two years of selling wine I have lost about 40% of my bottles. I basically expect to loose about 5% of my bottles an event.

Alavatar said:
While my character does not own/run a tavern, he is a wine and alcohol merchant. I sell my drinks for IG money only, but I ask for the bottles back at the end of the event so I can wash them and re-use them at a later event. There is attrition of bottles, but in the two years of selling wine I have lost about 40% of my bottles. I basically expect to loose about 5% of my bottles an event.

How much do you normally sell your bottles for (IG)? Are they considered "intoxicants"? Also, I assume do you not fill the bottles with actual wine but something else, what do you fill it with(e.g. grape juice)?

In the seattle chapter there has been a group of characters known as the "Fuzzy Mugs" comprised of a dwarven cook, 2 ferret scavs as waitress/bar maids and a Sarr as a dishwasher/bouncer. The setup seems to work really well, and the adventurers have shown a significant degree of appreciation toward the service provided.

The Fuzzy Mugs not only serve drinks, but also serve food several times an event. The food offered is not modern "microwave" fare, but is actually cooked food like stew, pumpkin soup, eggs and bacon... that kind of thing.

My only advice for people starting up their own tavern is to think about phys-reps, wall adornments, mugs, plates... that kind of thing. The more "in game" you can make your tavern feel, the more people are going to want to be there.

I also highly recommend trying out your menu on a few people before the event to make sure that it is well liked and reasonably easy to make in large quantities.

If you have more questions about this, just contact me privately and I'll share what I can.

Dr_Chill said:
Alavatar said:

How much do you normally sell your bottles for (IG)? Are they considered "intoxicants"? Also, I assume do you not fill the bottles with actual wine but something else, what do you fill it with(e.g. grape juice)?

Here is my sale list on the Seattle boards:

Alavatar said:
The Red Wizard Wine and Liquor

All prices were based upon a taste test and survey.
Prices are per bottle.
Prices may increase if purchased from stock. Orders in advance encouraged.

1. Elven Spiced Hard Cider - 1 gold 5 silver
(1000mL)

2. Syos Red Ice Wine - 1 gold
(750mL)

3. Tyq Ice Wine - 1 gold
(750mL)

4. Elven Orange Wine - 1 gold (Down) DISCONTINUED
(750mL)

5. High Hills Royal Dew - 5 silver
(750mL)

6. Inland Serenity - 1 gold
(750mL)

7. High Hills Frozen Mist - 5 silver
(750mL)

8. Drae Tuanther - 5 silver
(750mL)

9. Barbaric Blended Port - 5 silver
(750mL)

10. Blueberry Sparkling Wine - 1 gold
(750mL)

11. East Isle Sweet Wine - 1 gold 5 silver
(750mL)

12. Andarian Pale Ale - 5 silver (NEW)
(750mL)

13. Elven Rosa Wine - 1 gold (NEW)
(750mL)

Contact Alavatar Peece for orders.

Selection of wine and liquor will increase as more recipes are acquired. Check back often.

Prices have been adjusted due to supply and demand.

No, they do not function as "Intoxicants". More along the lines of "RP getting drunk if you want, but you don't have to" unless someone happens to slip something into the bottle. No, it's not actual wine. ;) It's just various juices/drinks that have been given an RP name to them.

In fact, there is a player that will be selling my character's wine fairly soon in the Midwest. Look for Alavatar's Wine and Alcohol, coming to a Kingdom near you! :D

(Edit: I should add that when I started I did a "taste test". I asked people to try my drinks and tell me how much they thought it was worth. I also sold my drinks for what they thought it was worth, which was from as low as 2 silver to as high as 4 gold for a bottle. I then set my prices according to the survey and everyone that has ordered has been relatively happy ever since.)

The Fuzzy Mugs in Seattle have been a great addition. They generally charged $10 (I think) for food for the weekend and handed out wooden tokens to the people that paid. That way, they could tell that they were feeding people that paid and it added to the in game atmosphere in that we had to give a token to them for our food.

> The Fuzzy Mugs in Seattle have been a great addition. They generally charged $10 (I think) for food for the weekend and handed out wooden tokens to the people that paid. That way, they could tell that they were feeding people that paid and it added to the in game atmosphere in that we had to give a token to them for our food.

Heh. I am forcibly reminded of the Emperor of San Francisco (Google it if you want to know who I'm talking about) who had his own money "printed". Many of the establishments in S.F. would accept the currency in exchange for goods or services, even though they couldn't then spend it elsewhere.

My hat's off to the Fuzzy Mugs!

:)
ChrisO

Yep... Alavatar's Own Red Wizard Wine and Spirits... Alliance LARP's first franchise business. :) Coming to Wayside, Prath Moor, and Valdanis soon...

chriso said:
Heh. I am forcibly reminded of the Emperor of San Francisco (Google it if you want to know who I'm talking about) who had his own money "printed". Many of the establishments in S.F. would accept the currency in exchange for goods or services, even though they couldn't then spend it elsewhere.

My hat's off to the Fuzzy Mugs!

:)
ChrisO

Of course, now one of Emperor Norton's bills is worth $500. Then again, one of the wooden coins might be worth something too. When I printed my own tokens for my LARP, I got a half dozen requests from token collectors for a set of my brass, nickel and copper. Charged them a buck a coin.

Back