perosnal hearldry

dudebro

Does anyone do heraldry on their costumes? I wanted to put something cool on the front of my knight outfit but not sure what i can use that would be neat. I found an old flannel blanket i can use for a back drop but not sure what to put on it. ] i was thinking of making it kinda look like that pic. Tips and ideas appreciated...Thanks
238767_thumb.jpg

Personal heraldry is an awesome costume touch, and a great way to both stand out in game and out of game as well as really make your character's history and back story shine. Never mind if other people do it - if YOU have a cool idea for what your character's escutcheon should be, by all means, stitch or iron it onto a tabard or surcoat, or apply it to your shield, and rock it out.

The SCA uses historical heraldry to great effect, and you could absolutely do the same - the only caveat would be to steer clear of obvious religious iconography (crosses, stars of David - there's a whole post on that stuff elsewhere).

http://www.heraldryandcrests.com/heraldic_symbols.htm This is a great site for accurate heraldry, even if it's a little Geocities-esque. Talk to your plot team about your character's history and what already has meaning at your local chapter, and then go nuts!

Yay for heraldry!

If you have a shield covered in Duct Tape, how you get your heraldry on it? Do you use markers? Acrylic paint? I'm tossing a guild icon on my shield but I'm not sure what to use for getting something that looks good over duct tape.

Cutting a template and spray painting can look great. If you're really feeling adventurous, cutting it out and bonding it on (epoxy, liquid nail, et cetera) can make it really pop.

So it turns out that Krylon spray paint is hit or miss.

I bought a can of black Krylon and it sticks to duct tape just fine. The problem I had was getting a tight seal between the stencil I used and my shield. Some of the spraypaint I used actually seeped underneath the edges of my stencil.

The icon came out good, but far less than perfect. It might need to learn some better spraying techniques.

If you have a shield covered in Duct Tape, how you get your heraldry on it? Do you use markers? Acrylic paint? I'm tossing a guild icon on my shield but I'm not sure what to use for getting something that looks good over duct tape.

I did mine all out of duct tape. They sell duct tape in 8.5x11 sheets now.

Inaryn, is that to say that you acquired a duct tape sheet and cut your heraldry out of it?

If I can find a sheet of black duct tape that I could cut, that would work even better.

Oh yeah, Sorin, that's way better. There's a Hobby Lobby in my town.

Back