Persuasive

Selo

(i couldn't figure which was the most appropriate form for this, if this is the wrong one can someone please move it)

i would like all opinions on the following questions

1. what are the physical benefits of being involved in LARPing

2. what are the social benefits of being involved in LARPing

3. what are the psychological benefits of being involved in LARPing

1. what are the physical benefits of being involved in LARPing -for me, it forces me to keep active so I am not blowing up (gasses, overly tired) during an event as an NPC.

2. what are the social benefits of being involved in LARPing -gets my tail out of the house more and meeting some pretty nice people (except JP, he is just too weird).

3. what are the psychological benefits of being involved in LARPing -I work from home & being cooped up for 9 hours/5 days then having to do the family thing immediately afterward is a mental thing. I am active, but not enough (imo)...not to mention Oregon winters tend towards gray sky and rain.

After a weekend of running the paths, I feel pretty good getting home. Muscles ache, brain is relieved of work stress...now if I could just get LARP ideas to shut off when bedtime comes.

1. Walking almost nonstop, and sometimes running in the fresh forest air has to be good for something.

2. You dont have to feel weird around fellow larpers we all have the same interest in dressing up and boffer fights, we dont look at each other in that wow what a weirdo way. That roleplay also has a way of building your confidence in conversations with people, even when you arent larping

3. Seeing something you have created work out even better than you planned it, talking with people who are totally awsome and having something to look forward to every month goes a long way in keeping you happy (at least for me).

Selo said:
(i couldn't figure which was the most appropriate form for this, if this is the wrong one can someone please move it)

3 is a very complicated question because the benefits can vary so wildly. It can be anywhere from enjoyment of a pass-time and thus relaxation, to more extreme cases. In my case, I fall on one of the more extreme sides. LARPing actually, by virtue of allowing me to pretend in social situations that don't actually affect my real life, helped me get past my more severe Asperger's issues.

Inaryn said:
3 is a very complicated question because the benefits can vary so wildly. It can be anywhere from enjoyment of a pass-time and thus relaxation, to more extreme cases. In my case, I fall on one of the more extreme sides. LARPing actually, by virtue of allowing me to pretend in social situations that don't actually affect my real life, helped me get past my more severe Asperger's issues.

Now I wonder if we could get a government grant to study LARPing as a form of therapy...hmm.

SkollWolfrun said:
Now I wonder if we could get a government grant to study LARPing as a form of therapy...hmm.

Doubtful, though LARPing certainly does merit more in depth investigations into the psychological aspects, in my opinion.

Selo said:

Not only does the LARPing activity provide exercise through walking and running with weights (armor) and the fast paced combat at the events, it also encourages me to get more fit outside of events. Getting fit outside of events helps for when I need to run away, chase things, or survive an endurance battle at the event.

Most of the physical benefits of LARPing consist of building cardio and endurance as opposed to muscle building.

Selo said:
LARPing has given me many friends and some solid experience in working with people from all walks of life. It helps one generate communication skills (and the courage) to speak to, and work with, people that range from Highschool Punk Kid to Old Biker Dude to Hot Shot Corporate Employee.

Another benefit is that when someone plays a character this is outside of their comfort zone (i.e. a quiet introvert playing a loud or socially obnoxious gypsy) it helps that person to grow and learn in a much safer environment (as opposed to many bad Highschool / College experiences).

Selo said:
I can think of a few ...

1. Generates creativity. LARPing provides a particular creative outlet for adults that is normally considered to be socially unacceptable. This allows the adults to escape from the stress of their normal work week and stimulates creative growth to potentially think of new and better solutions that are outside the box. This also has the side benefit of making it easier for an adult to relate to and play with their children.

2. Anger management. Beating people with plumbing supplies (in a safe and controlled manner) helps a lot of people get their frustrations out. (Personally, I prefer SCA combat for my Anger Management)

3. Mental exercise. With Alliance, memorizing all of the rules, remembering all of the rules during combat, being aware of the environment, and maintaining a level head (DON'T PANIC!) during combat provides stimulation of a player's perception (noticing details) and critical thinking (using a system under stress). Some people normally do better than others in both perception and critical thinking, but by providing an environment that allows for exercising them in a fun way it allows for growth which the player can then apply outside of the LARPing hobby.

Just off the top of my head...

I'd say also that it promotes teamwork in ways other than just the kind of teamwork one gets in sports. People need to make friends and work together to solve puzzles, form alliances, and get things accomplished.

Plus the team dynamics in larp are always changing, and can be made up of diffrent roles than a sports team which has roles that are typically the same every game.

Edit to add: which helps even more with the whole social aspect of the game and how it builds better ability to cope with social situations and diffrent people.

Might I also suggest you check out the video entitled "Cheap Therap" on the AllianceNJ website?

Seriously, LARP has been good for me on so many levels. It's a creative outlet no matter what your particular craft - writing, acting, singing, sewing, weapon building, set design/construction, cooking, dancing....

Most of my friends nowdays are people I met through the game. It's a place to find like-minded people to spend time with, both in and out of game that you might otherwise never meet. Perfect example, when I met Dennis it was at game in PA... only to find out that he literally lived a half mile from me back in NY. Had I passed him on the street at some point? Probably. But in NYC people don't generally strike up conversations and forge friendships from random encounters on the sidewalk. And while a lot of people compare LARP to MMO's, you simply can't put the two on the same level when it comes to social interaction. In one i"m sitting behind a keyboard, and the most you'll ever hear is my voice if you use Ventrillo or Teamspeak or if the game has a built-in voice communication system. But SO much of human communication an interaction depends on body language and facial expression, that something is definitely lost in the virtual world.

In addition I think that because many of us have found ourselves kind of on the outskirts of social circles in other arenas (school, work, etc) LARPers as a whole tend to be more open and accepting of people from all walks of life. It creates an environment where people feel more free to be themselves and for those who may be struggling a bit, helps them develop social skills that help them function better in the real world.

I'd got somewhat the other way, on the whole. Alliance hasn't been theraputic, like any hobby it has its own frustrations and irritations.

Fun way to pass a weekend, though!

Greetings,

I know that I, for one, would love to see this paper upon completion. This is an interecting topic and I would be quite happy to read the finished product.

Stephen Duetzmann
Chair
National Alliance Publicity Committee

1. what are the physical benefits of being involved in LARPing -- Well my nutritionist who has vowed to be with me for the long haul haha, says that I can count it instead of my daily exercise. You are walking a lot, and running and moving. According to her, movement is essential. Things don't have to be as specific exercise to be effective.

2. what are the social benefits of being involved in LARPing -- I started LARPing in my Sophmore year of HS. That was 10-11 years ago. At first I was quiet and shy about it but I learned that talking to an NPC isn't as simple in this game as clicking them or clicking what I want to say (as in a video game). If I wanted this to be fun I had to talk to people. Ity also helped me present in public, which I do all the time now in my job (corporate trainer, like I teach corporate people computer skills....it's weird). When I stand in front of a group of suits they're not intimidating because I can think of all the times I talked in public at a LARP before, and trust me LARPers are a much tougher audience :funny:.

3. what are the psychological benefits of being involved in LARPing I kind of answered this above, but it definately calmed me down and made me less anxious...sure I still have my moments, but no more then anybody else now a days. LARPing really took me out of my shell.

Selo said:

Quite simply, for this kind of LARPing it's an increase in physical activity. People having fun are generally more willing to burn calories running around doing so, and that helps keep you in shape.

Increased interaction. Aside from LARPing getting you out of the house, it also plunks you down in the middle of a large peer group and gives you a lot of common ground to play in/hang out together afterwards.

Being able to "not be yourself" Is often a viable method of working through issues you weren't able to otherwise. When I started LARPing, I had serious stage fright. After a weekend of accidentally being assassin bait, apprenticing the hard way, and being terrified by a horde of undead, the idea of performing suddenly wasn't scary, it was fun. Playing the heroic type can build self-confidence elsewhere. Being in "someone else's shoes" is often insightful towards things you couldn't get a grip on otherwise, leading to empathy.

SkollWolfrun said:

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised that if you went sniffing around Swedish education sites that you'd find someone already has.

Back