Pickax

Mendacity

I´m thinking about making a pickax to donate. I think it would be a useful prop. However, I don´t know if it would violate the anti-hooking rules for weapons. Is there any way that you guys can think of that would not violate them and still look like a pickax? Basically it would be a doublebladed axe, but with longer blades (tines?). Also, would they rip off in the first bit of combat? How would I make them flexible enough not to do that?

-Tim

Basically if they are flexible enough to not rip off in combat they will be flexible enough to not trap weapons.

But from the one or two I tried to build a few years ago, its rough trying to find the point where it is big enough to not violate the safety stuff but doesn't just look like a giant goofy metal T...

Open cell foam tends to be very giving so they shouldn't rip off. My question would be how will you not be violating the 2" diameter rule with the tines.

Cloth cover is your friend. If its all open cell and well anchored a cloth covered pick axe will give enough not to trap weapons and is very unlikely to tear off. this assumes you are carefull not to trap weapons with it intentionally, I mean even a standard sword can trap if you do it right.

As for the diameter issue I have really given up on "real" looking weapons in alliance the restrictions are just to tight to do it reliably. Instead I embrace the cartoony nature of our weapons and go a little oversize. To avoid a giant metal T look just add some curve to the tines and start at 4-5" diameter and narrow down to 2" at the end.

Most of all give it a try, the fix what doesn't work.

Back