Pictures wanted for the Rule Book!

I'm looking for lots of pictures for the new Rule Book.

It has suddenly occurred to me that even though we cannot afford to do a full color print version, there is no reason why the online PDF can't be in color.

So I need lots of new pictures, because many of the ones I have in the current book I only have available in black and white.

Here's advice on how to take pictures that will be used:

1. They must be high quality. 300 dpi at least.

2. No anachronisms! I won't use pictures that look great in which there is a car in the background, or someone is wearing a digital watch or tennis shoes, and so on.

3. The less "posed" the better. People standing around and smiling for the camera isn't as good as people actually playing the game -- fighting, arguing, performing in the tavern, and so on...

4. Redo picture in the current book. New racial close up pictures would be good (and actually, despite my previous comment, these should be posed). Go through the rules and take pictures to illustrate the rules. (Have someone picking a lock, repairing armor, performing first aid, and so on). Look at each chapter and think "What would be a good picture for this chapter?"

5. Try not to use the same people over and over again. I don't want the book to look like there are only 20 players, I want a good variety.

6. Show off your cool props, make up, and costumes. People still talk about that great pantherghast costume that was made in 1993 or so, since it was in the book...

Email them to michael.ventrella@gmail.com or send me a disc (like at least one campaign has already done!)

What about pictures of a hold, we have one where a hiker is walking through...

Fynwei said:
What about pictures of a hold, we have one where a hiker is walking through...

No, please. Seriously, we don't really want people to see us playing in a public park where mundanes walk through.

For that matter, you will note that the Rule Book doesn't even have pictures of us doing OOG stuff like logistics in it.

I want people who don't play our game to pick up the book and just go "Wow, does this look cool!" and so I want every picture to have that feeling.

that Hiker had some sharp pointy teeth :mrgreen: I had to laugh when he warned us he didn't have any "magic items"

Are you still looking for pictures? I've got several folders worth at this point and I didn't see this thread until now.

Mike, you ever think about changing the format of the pictures on the site as well, perhaps to something like coppermine or a different layout.. maybe do folders so if your looking for dark elf pictures or celestial caster pictures you can hop to that folder for inspiration.

Jorundr said:
Mike, you ever think about changing the format of the pictures on the site as well, perhaps to something like coppermine or a different layout.. maybe do folders so if your looking for dark elf pictures or celestial caster pictures you can hop to that folder for inspiration.

Well, I use the main webpage mostly as a way to say to potential players "Hey, here's what we are like" -- it's not really meant for our own players...

However, I will soon be setting up an Ashbury web page separate from the main web page where we will do just that.

Back