Plastic armor

Elandril

Hey everyone!
I make plastic armor out of 1/4 inch thick plastic. I use a heat gun to bend and mold the plastic to the wanted shape and glue and rivets to hold it together with foam as a cushion on the inside. It looks very professional when finished and I was wondering if people would buy this OOG? Not selling anything yet, but looking to in the future.

I actually haven't run it by marshals for what category, but I'm almost 100% sure it'll be heavy non metalic

From what I recall, Armor must be made of appropriate material, so for instance a suit of representation plate armor MUST be metal. You might be able to get by with it for medium grades, or as reinforced leather, but rules are pretty big on not wanting to let people wear lightweight cheap plastic plate armor and have it count as Plate, not even for plot controlled NPC's

Non Marshall input...you would most likely not get armor points for it unless it is backed with leather.

Plastic plate armor will give you armor points as Heavy Non Metallic Armor (2 points) per the rule book as it is plate mail that is not metallic.

Sadly, tieran is correct. We actually have a guy who plays out here who has some seriously swank and totally functional plate... but because it's plastic, he only gets the 2 per location instead of the 3.

1174963_10151765999055772_1642442150_n.jpg

that guy is awesome

The best part about our armor rules is that a dryad wearing plastic armor that looks like metal is totally fine, because it's, uh, ironwood.

Draven - that would be kind of against the spirit of the rules in my opinion. Now if you made that plastic armor look like wood it would be another story.

That said, alternative construction materials would be approved on a case by case basis by each chapter owner or management. You should run plastic armor by the chapter(s) you want to wear it at before purchasing or building.

David - AGB AGM

As a marshal and speaking from experience:

My very first game I played, I made "chainmail" out of truck bed lining (plastic looking black fence material), which did get me 1 pt per location. Plastic armor is something that willl get you armor points, but I think the maximum you would get as stated above would most likely be 2pts per location (still pretty good). Also consider you do get extra bonus armor points for master crafted and in period, which can add up quite a bit.

Draven - that would be kind of against the spirit of the rules in my opinion. Now if you made that plastic armor look like wood it would be another story.

Oh, I wouldn't deny it's at all cheesy. But the spirit of the rules is that for real armor, you have to wear real materials. Ergo, as plastic armor isn't metal, it can't be metal IG, otherwise, it would obviously be more durable and handle more damage (have a 3 pt rating per location). Buuuut since it's not metal OOG, it can't be metal IG, so per the spirit of the rules....I disagree with you. :)

But no, I'm not really encouraging any dryads to wear plastic plate. I'm merely pointing out that, as is, I can't see a dryad to be breaking the rules for wearing plastic armor, no matter what it looks like.

*coughs*
Please check with your local marshals before making any armor creation decisions, especially on cases that may be considered borderline or in contention. For any decisions that may be borderline concerning your race also check with your local plot team.

It does seem silly that our armor rules are the only rules that try and focus on realism...

So... If a new player makes armor out of copper, can I lift it and merchant it for its weight in copper? Since oog its made of the stuff?

:D

*Flat look* No.

Worth a shot. Now what am I supposed to do with all this copper I've stockpiled?

Merchant the armor tag, return the physrep per the stealing rules.

Obviously. I'd only borrow the phys rep long enough to weigh it. :p

To offer a deeper statement. Regardless of the real world material used in the creation of the armor, the IG value is in accordance with its armor tag. Now if you wanted to have alchemically treated gold plate mail (real steel 3pt armor with a gold coating/paintjob), you could take your armor suit to plot and ask to make the armor itself into a merchantable tagged item by paying them the coin to do so.

Back