Playing to Exsaustion

I kind of curious what people think about this thing because I believe there is a fair range of opinions and ways that people play. But my big question is; are people encouraged/expected to play Alliance to exsaustion on regular weekends?

The reason I feel promped to ask this question is that at both of the last two events I have been to I have missed out on things I really would have liked to be a part of because I am not willing to stay up past 3am in the morning on Saturday nights. Should I start to re-adjust my game and sleep cycle so that I can plan on not sleeping at all at events? Because I usually don't get up late (around 9am or so) and I seem to still find that I miss things in the early morning. Now its my problem that because of playing a DE I need to spend at least 45 minutes after sleeping to touch up my makeup so that it looks good, but its disapointing to miss these things.

And lastly this is not coming from an un-energetic player. I have a lot of energy and I'm always running around and generally don't sleep more than 6 hours a night. But it still seems that I miss things I would love to do. Is it common for mods to go out around 4am in the morning on Sunday? Or for major wave battles that are the climax of an event to be run at 3am? I could just have experienced two unusual situations in a row but the question has arrisen in my mind and I thought I would open it up for discusion.

I'm certainly not bitter or anything and I still have a blast at all the recent events I've attended! :D But I wondered what others thoughts on this matter are.

At HQ at least, the late night mods are usually targetted to specific people that are more night owls (FOIG why and who). That's not to say the PCs won't create their own things going on at that hour (that happens a LOT).

Sometimes we also add things or change things around in because proactive players decide to try new things - for example, the last wave battle at the HQ event that just passed was supposed to go differently, but three players decided not to wait for the trouble to come to them and went to scout it out... so plot rolled with it. Sometimes PCs come to us with solutions to stories we hadn't thought of.

The reality is that the game never really stops until we leave on Sunday, so whether you sleep late, go to bed early or nap in the middle of the day, chances are there will be something going on that you're missing. And that's not done to encourage people to stay up all hours of the day, but rather to accommodate people with different play styles. The major plot points will usually be within reasonable hours though (generally between 10am and midnight).

Unfortunately unless you want to drink your weight in 5 hour energy shots, at some point you have to realize that you can not be involved in everything that happens every weekend. Often times the game runs late not only due to night owls, but for people who have been patiently waiting their turn to handle a mod they've been looking forward too.

Personally I like when I wake up and someone says "ok so $#!7 hit the fan last night..." because it makes the world just seem that more real. I like to think things are going on whether I'm there or not-- it would seem too artificial if everything shut down at hour X and restarted at hour Y... and then you get the Roleplaying of having your friends and teammates try to bring you up to speed. Nothing quite so... special... as being woken from a sound sleep after more than 30 hours of continuously being awake and playing to resurrect someone who decided to go find some adventure.

I often find that the very late night events are the ones that are the most interesting but I also realize that I cannot stay awake that long. Often the lateness of the mods are due more to trying to get the mod up and running than actually planning on starting at 2am. ;)

I once had three players attend an overnight event of mine and the other PC's told them to stay up all night and guard the inn. On the way home from the event, the driver fell asleep behind the wheel, the car was totalled and there was some moderate injuries.

Meh, I like it that scary monsters come out at night. It makes sense, even if it isn't customer friendly.

You will never be involved in every plot that goes on all weekend long. It's just impossible...(at least in a game with over 50 players like Ashbury)

There's a lot going on in the daytime you probably don't know about too -- not everything ends up in a fight!

Well just to clarify I'm not asking this from a perspective of "I want to do everything". :? If that came across that was an acident. Anyways I was just bringing it up for discusion because I know I don't have as much fun when I'm playing but I'm exsausted and I wondered if anyone else ever felt the same way... And my other question is just how those who are running things who I see all day during the game continue to run things all night without (what seems to me) a wink of sleep. I mean NPC's are still people... ;) Or is there some speciall supper suit they all put on at the beggining?

Everyone's got a different tolerance for sleep deprivation. Some folks can run on nothing but adrenaline for days, others have to be rested. Do whichever makes you feel better. I've gone full weekends without sleep, and it sucks, so I usually sleep through saturday and sunday mornings.

This is why I love chapters with 'bed times' where nothing of great/plot related importance will go out after a certain time.

Aside from that --

It depends on a few things: whether I'm PCing or NPCing, which character I'm playing, and which chapter I'm playing. For example, if I'm NPCing, I will wake up first thing in the morning for the first crunchies of the day, and stay up until the last mod goes out -- and it doesn't matter whether I'm tired or not. This is because I am slightly insane.

If I'm PCing and playing Evie, my hobling, it probably means I'm staying up until everything stops happening. This is mostly because my hobling has complete ADHD and will bounce off the walls like an idiot and enjoys staying involved. If I'm playing Sevaria, she'll probably stay up as long as the people she cares about are still awake. Once they turn in, she usually does to.

But that also changes depending on which chapter I'm in. If I've got a character who's invested in plot at one chapter, it's more likely I'll be a lot more concerned about catching everything versus the chapter where I'm not involved in plot related things at all.

TL;DR version: It's subjective.

youthculture said:
This is why I love chapters with 'bed times' where nothing of great/plot related importance will go out after a certain time.

Playing a nocturnal character, I disagree. :)

for me I need my sleep.

If I don't have enough sleep I get headaches and indigestion.

I like hearing about stuff happening at night because I can take that information and use it the next day.

I realize that no major plot of the weekend gets resolved at night.

I also realize that there plenty of fights, mods, and roleplaying to do in the day.

So I place comfort over trying to do everything.

JIM

Wraith said:
youthculture said:

Playing a nocturnal character, I disagree. :)

At this point, I've played both -- and I pretty much prefer the former. I like not having to revert my sleep habits in order to work after coming home from an event. ;)

kitsune85 said:

JIM

Not quite there, Jim. At HQ at least, major stuff certainly runs at night (and I know it does in NJ too). In fact, some things (like certain undead) CAN'T be run in daylight. We try not to run major stuff at stupid o'clock though.

Ezri said:
kitsune85 said:

JIM

Not quite there, Jim. At HQ at least, major stuff certainly runs at night (and I know it does in NJ too). In fact, some things (like certain undead) CAN'T be run in daylight. We try not to run major stuff at stupid o'clock though.

Unless you're on the "2am or later" team at HQ. But even then, that's it's own arc and usually is separate from the main weekend stuff. Send in a plot submission to HQ looking to speak with certain NPCs and you might get woken up at 3am for some shadyness, but send in such requests (and how you intend to set up the meeting) via the normal plot submission guidelines or you might end up with me and Tab giving you a blanket party. (We're the night owls)

I just say go with the flow. If you feel like something awesome is going to happen stay up, if not, hit the sack. Use your best judgement. I don't leave anything to chance by almost never going to bed until the sun comes up saturday. It's usually me and Stabley and friends looking at the dawn with great horror and disbelief.

-jc

That sounds familiar. I usually get some really good sleep for about 4 hours Sat evening/Sunday morning, then have the privlige of being rudely awoken by the NPC's Sunday morning. It makes for a great effect as I'm all sleep confounded for at least the first few minutes.

I'm something of a night owl, though, so staying up through the majority of Friday night isn't really an issue. I've had plenty of opportunity for a 20 min nap in the sun on Sat or Sunday, and I"m the type who will offer to go NPC on Friday night late or Saturday evening if nothing specific is going on, just to see what I can stir up within the plot that is already occuring.

I really enjoy filling my weekend with as much crazy stuff as possible. I ususally go the whole weekend on a few hours of sleep a night. It leaves me strung out and exausted come Sunday but I really enjoy it. However I do not and never have expected others to play the same way I do. I look at it this way, do what you want to do to have fun. If you miss a wave battle so be it, you will enjoy the next one that much more if you need to be rested after all it is just a game.

Toddo said:
Ezri said:
kitsune85 said:

JIM

Unless you're on the "2am or later" team at HQ. But even then, that's it's own arc and usually is separate from the main weekend stuff. Send in a plot submission to HQ looking to speak with certain NPCs and you might get woken up at 3am for some shadyness, but send in such requests (and how you intend to set up the meeting) via the normal plot submission guidelines or you might end up with me and Tab giving you a blanket party. (We're the night owls)

When Tab and Toddo come a hootin' you gotta accept the charges!

Back