Point Caps and Visitors: Idea

B.Barber

Scholar
I know there are rules in the book or with the ARC or some such thing that say sheets within the database cannot be changed to have less stuff when visiting, and so keeps people who want to visit games out of games with pointcaps if they are above that cap.

Is there any reason they cant just chop a bunch of stuff and reduce stuff, on their physical paper-sheet onsite much like a person might not be able to travel with certain items that might be local-only and leave it in a bag somewhere?

I ask this, partly because of the inquery from our NH freinds, but there are other Alliance players who have had interest in coming to visit us -but- would have to make undeveloped alts in order to do so. Many dont want to do this, they want to RP their primary, and not for the sheet powers- they want their character to experience New Acarthia and be able to interact with the PCs here.

And I think, it would better facilitate the Roleplay aspect of Alliance, as well as inter-connectivity of Alliance, if we made it so developed PCs from other regions could come and visit us, and interact, and have meaningful stories from their home chapters so that relationships can really start to be made. In turn, these developed characters, can return to their home chronicles and continue on with their primary character, bringing home stories ofus.

I think this would be beneficial to our game, and others, because people who really do want to just come and roleplay, haveing the option to sheet-chop on site, dosnt hurt anything, and encourages visiting so long as visitors are willing to bring down their power level to work with us.

Last edited:
I personally love the idea of my character being utterly horrified by her abilities being more than chopped in half, but you know. That's just me.

Aaactually that is meant to be ignored IC. Its just a mechanical adjustment you, the player, can make, in order to come and play, have the game keep power balance, and it should be played as though your character dosnt notice or whatever or its just not an IC registerable thing. This keeps it a strictly ooc thing and avoids the consequence of deterring PCs on the IC level by the idea of 'Onoez, if I go there I loze my powerz'. Wich while you're cool with it, it would keep some people from visiting due to IC reasons and its just easier to not have that obstical.

Essentially I am trying to figure out the least disruptive, simplest, IC and OOC option to encourage and enable visiting on both levels. Not that I have a final say, this is just a thought processing...thing.

Make sense?

Last edited:
There's an opposite effect to that, though. You'd have to generate an IC reason because the OOC adjustment creates an IC disconnect. Let's say I died there, go back to my main chapter and people are like "But Sev, you can use ____ skill. We've seen you do it. Why didn't you?" Without having the IC justification, the answer is "UHH I DON'T KNOW THAT'S A REALLY GOOD QUESTION."

Other chapters have allowed characters in over the level cap by reducing their usable build and essentially med forging them for an event. The best way to justify it IC is something that's already in play -- the mist that surrounds your region. The very act of passing through the mists of Fortannis and into the region has sapped and stripped power from the character's spirit. Easy justification and no weird disconnect!

I really think thats over-thinking it. It becomes a unspoken mutually accepted type of situation where everyone just accepts its an ooc mechanic and to leave it be (Or use roleplay and just make up stuff to fill in the gaps if IC asked for a story behind something when you get home useing terms other than sheet specific ones), especially since much of what is on a sheet has to do with unspoken ooc stuff (how many times a person can assassinate, how good they are at casting a particular thing, how many body points they have, how much damage they swing- this is stuff people shouldnt be quantifying in the course of IC discussion like reading off a list anyhow.). If people want an IC component, I dont seen an inherent problem, but I would be irritated by every single visitor freaking out every time they come in because their sheet is smaller (since its a meta-based issue- pluts its like... yeah thanks for reminding us our point count is a billion times lower than other places... ). Maybe handle on a case by case basis.

I just dont perceive such a disconnect- the IC and OOC compenents are very separate and support eachother but need not be one and the same. Ive done it before in other games and had no issues

Last edited:
Yeah, I understand your point, it's just not how I like to play the game. :) It's all good!

And man, that mist is a jerk.

"The mists did it. The end."

Fair. If people would actually take it that simply and leave it at that and not freak out every time, so be it. I just dont think everything needs an IC explanation when its a work-around for something ooc like a point cap*shrug*

Regardless, if Plot/Jesse cares for some variation combination of anything said here by anyone as a solution, then problem solved. : )

There's also the inverse "superman effect" as a possibility. Essentially someone who's used to one environment is rendered less powerful in others. For the Denver game's purposes, it could be justified as the land itself recognizing the foreigner and weakening them. Personally I think there's some good role-play opportunities there... then again I also like having in-game justifications for out-of-game rules and systems. Now I just need to figure out why I can't smash into someone with my shield...

ARTICLE VI
TRANSFER POLICY

Section 6.1: Limiting Character Transfer
Campaigns have the right to set top levels for transferability based on their desired level. Characters from other
campaigns are not allowed to remove skills in order to fit beneath the level.

Back