Poison Strike

... Also, short of a 40th level Orc fighter (possibly with multiple Hearty purchases), it will be hard to find a PC that can actually benefit from that much healing. ...

-MS

I did a sample build on the build calculator to see how early a character could achieve 100 Body. My results:

Amended: A level 25 Oathsworn S&B Fighter could achieve 100 Body (and 62 Armor, given appropriate Phys Rep) with 12 purchases of Hearty.

So it is within the realm of possibility.

Also, you are only thinking in terms of PCs. It also means the Big Bad can have his lieutenants kitted out like that and potentially pop several hundred, if not thousands, of points of healing all at once.

I found the rather interesting, if corner case, use for this.

With Healing Strike, you can swing Healing as an effect. With Poison Strike, you can now swing a X Poison Healing attack that will heal a target that you hit, because the rule explicitly prohibits a Weapon qualifier attacks from healing, not attacks delivered by a weapon (this is confirmed by the way spell strikes of healing spells work, which is by swinging X Spell Healing with a weapon).

Making it a little more interesting, if you were to activate a Slay for that strike, you could potentially swing something like 100 Poison Healing.

Now, this combination requires 2 rituals (Poison Strike and Healing Strike), one critical attack / back attack, and one slay / assassinate, so it clearly is resource intensive. Also, short of a 40th level Orc fighter (possibly with multiple Hearty purchases), it will be hard to find a PC that can actually benefit from that much healing. But, if you have the right fighter or rogue build and the right beneficial NPC, it is potentially possible to provide a 200+ heal in a single strike.

-MS

I would say this is violating the spirit of the rules. X Spell Healing works because it is the spell, the damage is limited by the spell not the weapon damage swing. I feel that Poison is inherently negative. That being said, it is also a damaging attack, which the rules state you can't heal from damaging weapon attacks. Just my 2 cents

I would say this is violating the spirit of the rules. X Spell Healing works because it is the spell, the damage is limited by the spell not the weapon damage swing. I feel that Poison is inherently negative. That being said, it is also a damaging attack, which the rules state you can't heal from damaging weapon attacks. Just my 2 cents

I was directly informed that as currently written, this combination of rituals is legal and operates as Mikestrauss has suggested. ARC will be having additional conversations on this item, but as of 0.8 it can be used to heal in this fashion.

I'm curious about your feeling that Poison is inherently negative. I can think of at least one example of a poison that clearly positive: Cure Light Damage. Now, I think I might have read that poison is going away in the new edition, but at least at the moment, it is a clearly positive poison effect (which can be legitimately resisted if someone was feeling foolish). And now that I think about it, various antidotes are also positive poison effects, though again, I'm not sure how many, if any, survived the transition.

-MS

Last edited:
An Alchemical Cure Light Damage elixir, in 2.0, basically does "5 Poison Healing" just like the corresponding Earth potion does "5 Spell Healing".

Is this the new call we use? :p

I feel that the word Poison is negative (look it up in a dictionary). Im not saying we should change it, but just like only negative effect alchemy can be mixed into things to keep from abusing an unlimited healing for 10 min or the drink ran out, I feel that alchemy shouldn't be a "OMG HEALZORS TO THE MAX" effect. Because then lets just let warder glyphs heal people too... I feel we went from damage bloat to healing bloat. That makes the game less lethal I feel.

I think the larger problem is that having a healing effect delivered by poison is most likely counterintuitive to new players, so therefore confusing, which we're really trying to avoid, right?

Back