poison weapon coatings

Dante

I was under the impression that if you were hit with a poison weapon coating, that you wouldnt take the damage unless it whent through your armour. However, I just recently read the rules errata, and it seems to suggest that it works in the same way that a gas does

"104: Poison: Anyone struck by a poison attack is affected by the poison as if they had been hit by a poison gas globe"

what exactly is this implying? what I see it as, is that if I swing "2 vertigo poison" from my vertigo poison coated short sword at someone wearing 30 points of armour, they would still crash to the ground (Gurve flying! :D ), and take 2 damage to their armour, or did I miss something?

I'll redirect you to a response made to a similar question, and answered by a smooth talker!

heres the question thread: http://www.neroseattle.com/forums/showthread.php?t=868

and heres the answer, for short reference:
Solomon Maxondaerth said:
Nope. Same way you don't take the poison unless it gets through your armour first. Unless you take the damage to your body points the poison doesn't get into the blood stream.

Jeff
not a marshall, but does love the blade poisons

More specifically:

You swing "5 Monkey Poison" and hit Gurv with 10 points of armor. He takes 5 damage, but does NOT take the Monkey Poison.

You do it again. Gurv still is not Monkey Poisoned, but he's now out of armor because again he takes 5 damage.

You hit him once more. Gurv takes 5 damage *AND* is Monkey Poisoned. He now becomes more powerful than you can possibly imagine.

The same goes for any carrier. Unless it's a spellstrike or other magical delivery, Prepare To Die skill which is an effect as opposed to damage, or packet delivered effect, it has to go through armor to effect you.

Examples:

"Voice Death" doesn't care about armor
"Prepare to Die: 50 Slay Disease" will hit you for 50 damage but ONLY disease you if it gets through your armor (hey, it's possible that a beastie has that much armor)
"Prepare to Die: Disarm Sword" will affect you if it hits whether or not you're wearing armor
"Spellstrike Monkey Juice" will affect you if it hits something you're wearing whether or not you're wearing armor
"Monkey Poison" as a packet will affect you if it hits you, whether or not you're wearing armor
"1 Monkey Poison" as a weapon will hit you for 1 damage but ONLY Monkey Poison you if it gets through your armor

Generally speaking, if it delivers damage (i.e. has a number called) and it doesn't go through armor, don't take the special effect (but DO take the damage).

Argh. Made one "effect/affect" mistake at "has to go through armor to effect you." Knew I'd get caught once.

sense is made. I knew this before, but the wording of the addendum made me wonder. It occured to me that likely all theyre refering to is the actual effect of the poison, like a neausea weapon coating inflicting neausea just like a neasuea gas poison, after it gets to body.
thankses though.

Back