Polearm vs. Two-Handed Sword?

RedVirus23

I couldn't find an answer to this with a cursory inspection of the rulebook, so I figured I'd make sure I ask for DENVER'S rule interpretation.

If your polearm is a sword-on-a-stick-type glaive, what makes the difference between a polearm and a two-handed sword? To clarify, how long is the blade allowed to be relative to the handle before it's no longer a polearm? Is it just a matter of overall length?

Pole-arm must "look" like a pole-arm. I.e. it must have a pole-arm shape of some sort and cannot simply be a blade on a stick.

There is also a difference in length, although there is the overlap at exactly 62". They are also different skills. If the question is, can I make a polearm that looks like a two handed sword? I think you could as long as it looked like a real two hander, and not like an omniblade or the like.

Official Denver Weapons Marshal response:

Parzivel has the right of it. Our local rule is the simple: "A polearm must look like a polearm."

Bear in mind that I'm writing in generalities here, and I haven't seen YOUR weapon or design, RedVirus23, but the "sword-on-a-stick" type design is more likely to fail as a "polearm" than the "triangle-on-a-stick" type design. Please feel free to contact me privately to send me a sketch or photo if you have more specific questions.

Also, if the finished design is passed, but there's any question about what the form is, our chapter expects good sportsmanship when it comes to to spell, "I summon a force to Disarm your _________" should the wrong weapon type be named. (This is far more common with 1-handed blunt beatin' sticks vs. longsword, but the same principle of good sportsmanship applies.)

Please let us know how else Denver staff & players can help you out here with this.

Thanks!

Trace Moriarty
Safety & Weapons Marshal
Alliance Denver

Trace can I summon a force to disarm your thing that keeps stabbing me in the chest???

Not really my design, as my character uses one-handed swords. This thread is one part curiosity and two parts asking for a friend I'm trying to recruit, as I remember Abtus using what I suppose I could best describe as either a glaive or a war scythe on Saturday that was pretty much half blade, and he referred to it as a polearm. I want to know how long the blade can be if my friend goes polearms as I'll likely be at the very least assisting him in making his weapon, if not building it entirely.

For best chance of getting your polearm approved in Denver, I recommend that the blade not exceed 20% of the length of the weapon.

T$

Back