police seize "terrorist" weapons, that includes larping gear

ya i read the news articles and related topics off the link, seems like the gamers where just in the wrong place at the wrong time after a riot broke out with people using things similar to gaming supplies in order to riot....

More like the Toronto police we're being momo's and just grabbing anyone that looked unusual.

I tend to be pro-law enforcement in most cases, but this one reminds me of grief we used to get over the Santa Cruz SCA practice from new PD officers that I'd have to call their bosses over to straighten out. The fact that it's their police chief doing so in a press conference adds a level of "wtf" to the entire thing.

You have to admit that those arrows would be good fire bombs as well as the suit of scale great in a riot and even the shields would help there. However, the foam weapons would be the give away IMO but now think about it, if LARPing was a more familiar sport, terrorists could use our gear 'under the radar' as it were. These days, people are going a bit over protective. I can't believe we STILL have to take off our shoes at airlines since anything that could be smuggled in via our shoes could also be simply put into our pants pockets.

As for the SCA, the berkeley/rock ridge police dept actually would bring their new officers to a fighter practice. They'd just sit in their cars and look at the freaks, but they made sure that their recruits knew that we were (mostly) harmless.

markusdark said:
As for the SCA, the berkeley/rock ridge police dept actually would bring their new officers to a fighter practice. They'd just sit in their cars and look at the freaks, but they made sure that their recruits knew that we were (mostly) harmless.

that's pretty cool

markusdark said:

Yeah, that was cool. I think they used to do the same things at the old Mission College practice.

It was usually the news guys on the SCPD who would give us ****. The experienced ones we tended to repel the real scum.

Back