Possible new player

allodea

Hi, I have been interested in trying out larping for a long time and came across Alliance, I have read through the handbook and am interested in possibly joining the ranks. I have tried to contact folks through the Minnesota webpage without avail. :er: So I was wondering if anyone would be up for chatting a bit about it, answering some questions and more or less showing me the ropes a bit so I can decide if a further investment is the cup of tea for me.

with much curiosity Jake.

Hi Jake,

Welcome!

This is a good place to make contact. Southern Minnesota (SoMN) Alliance is a great chapter with many friendly people. I am certain that you will have one or more of the staff members available to make contact and answer questions. SoMN typically runs events February - November (or early December like this year).

What sort of questions do you have?

~Matt

Well I guess first off I was wondering about your population. How many regulars do you have? What is the average age of players? Is there a particular abundance or lack of a race/"class type"? Are there any typical concerns regarding new players?

Hello Jake!

I'm Peter, the Head New Player Marshal for the SoMN chapter. I'm not sure why your emails did not get through the website. I can answer any questions you may have about the game. If you'd like a more private conversation, feel free to message me your email or phone number, which ever you prefer for contacting you, or you can find me on facebook, "Cho Ko Nu Irrigu" on the Alliance SoMN facebook page.

To answer your recent questions:

1) We have a general "regular" player list of about 75-80 players, with games averaging 50-60 players. Not everyone can make it to all the games, but most players try to come to as many games as possible.

2) The average age of players is in the 20's, although it is hard to say. We have an age range of 16 to 40+, with pockets of age data clusters in the teens, college aged, mid/late twenties, and older players. However, you will quickly find that out-of-game player age is not really an issue for in-game character interactions or making friends here. The LARP community is very welcoming to all players, regardless of "out-of-game" age, race, religion, etc.

3) For abundance of race/class, we are a slightly Rogue-heavy chapter. There is also a large number of Scholars. There is a pretty even mix of races, however the full-makeup races (High Orc, High Ogre, Dark Elf, Stone Elf, Sarr, Wylderkin) are less popular than non or light makeup races (Elf, Human, Gypsy, Hobling, Dwarf, Biata, Mystic Wood Elf, Barbarian, Dryad). Either way, you should be what is fun for you to play. Which brings me to your last question:

4) Our biggest concern for new, and all, our players is "Are they having fun?" This is a game after all and you should enjoy your time playing it. Knowing the rules and game world ahead of time can let you jump into game and start having fun sooner, so reading the rulebook and handbook are greatly encouraged. I'm glad to see you have already done that.

If there is anything else you'd like to know, please feel free to ask.

Edit: Spelling/grammar.

Is there a particular abundance or lack of a race/"class type"?
We don't have any High Ogres as far as I know; we've got at least one of every other race.

I know of at least two PC High Ogres that are technically in/have played in the chapter, although one has not played in a while and I think the other is yet to be played (a planned PC from a player who usually NPCs). Given that, Kyle is right, High Ogre is probably the least popular race in Alliance at the moment. However, racial popularity, like anything popular, trends over time, but that is a discussion for another thread.

Have we resorted to shameless plugs for races now...shame ohh honorable dark elf.

Seriously every race has a lot of rewards to play. Even being human can have a lot of reward and should not be avoided. I would analyze : 1-do I mind heavy make up, some make up, or do I want nothing, 2- do I mind the racial rp and quirks of the race for instance High Ogres hate undead and necromancy to the point of reckless fervor, 3- what character concept/class do I want as some races benefit others more.

As you consider things some of these questions are a good place to start your conversation with new player marshall.

Ps Gypsies are awesome... :roll:

High Ogres are by and large the most 'rare' race in my experience pretty much Alliance wide.

Probably a lot of their reason for that is their alarmingly high propensity to die in battle... :thumbsup:

I guess I have a lot of questions on a lot of different subjects... I am wondering if maybe it would be easiest/best to help with some preparatory things and get to know some folks while getting a feel for it all. While I am not exactly shy, I am new to larping as a whole and I really don't know anyone from alliance so if anyone wants to talk shop my email is enigmaallodea@gmail.com :yes:

PS: OrcFighterFTW, I seem to be having difficulty finding out how to message you but I have listed my email above, thanks.

Sorry about the delayed response, between the holidays and getting paperwork in order to go back to college, I have been a little distracted. I will send you an email and we can chat more privately there.

Not sure how this thread has gone on from this point - but keep in mind that a 1 Day event (like the one on Feb 23rd) is a good chance to get a feel for how it all comes together. As one of the oldest members in age (and NO it is not good to ask a female Biate fighter her true age) and who had never even heard of LARP prior to being brought in, it is a lot of fun. The people are all great and very helpful if you get momentarily lost and/or confused.

Come check us out :thumbsup:

Back