Potential new player(s)

Mazjerai

Hi all,

I was just reminiscing about my few events as an NPC for Nero West in California back in 2002 when I found the alliance website! Needless to say, I am very excited and hoping I can convince my gaming group to try out a weekend event.

I've downloaded the rule book, as well as shared it with the others, and am likely to tear through it tonight. If there are any tips you'd be willing to offer, for helping my group see the light of LARP or general Alliance stuff, I'm all ears!

Well, I'm going to steal a bit of our player rep Rick's thunder and give you the address to the player FAQ: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1LnO6UZJSJmppRw2uJnrUWkYSqfWL0gw9W0RF36zk1TY/edit#

Other than what's there, I'd recommend getting in contact with Rick at newplayer@allianceoregon.com and if you're planning on PCing or NPCing our upcoming March event I'd contact the plot team at plot@allianceoregon.com. This board is also a great place to ask if you have any general questions as well as our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/allianceoregon/

With all those preliminaries out of the way, welcome! The biggest tip I can give for LARP in general is if you are looking to do it for less money, prepare to spend some time crafting and sewing. Wrap pants are easy to sew, in genre and all around great. Match that with a simple peasant shirt pattern and you've got the base layer for your first costume. Used carbon fiber golf clubs + pipe cutter = core of ultra-light homemade boffer. Socks, you always want more than you have... and wool stays warm when wet. We're here for happy together pretendy fun time, not to "win", because if you've had a good time, that's the only win condition in this type of LARP. Out of Game Rule 1: be safe, Rule 2: don't be a ****, Rule 3 and on are in the rulebook. In Game Rule 1: don't die, Rule 2: seriously, don't die, Rule 3: if you have to die, die loud! If you're going to be a jerk in game, it's always a good idea to let people know after game that you're still friends and are having pretendy fun times. When it comes to character traits, go big, Big Damn Hero, Big Damn Lawman, Big Damn Assassin... you only get to portray them for a couple of days each year so make it memorable.

So, that's just a random assortment of things I can think of off the top of my head. If you want a really good source for other LARPing information I'd recommend http://nwnerdcast.podbean.com/

If you are looking for a sit down with someone, Rick or myself are usually available at times. Always willing to sit down talk, give some general tips, do some craftwork, etc.

Hello! I'm Rick and while I'm the official New Player Representative, this community is full of awesome people like Ben or Sean who have no problems answering questions for you.

Everything Ben told you is a great place to start for sure. I love it when my New Player FAQ is hyped without me having to do the hyping!

I am out of town right now for business so my responses to email at the New Player address is a little slower than I would like but I promise I'll get back to you.

Welcome to Alliance!

We at Alliance Seattle would also love to see you, if such an event is within your range! We share a lot of the same player base, as well. If you'd like more information, take a looksie at our forums at http://www.alliance-seattle.com/forums.

What a friendly bunch! Thanks for all the links and tips that aren't in the rule book Maxirons, especially about wool, since cold is my bane IRL. The costuming advice will come in handy convince folks to try it out, since March is fast approaching. Going to keep my eye out at the thrift stores for golf clubs to cannibalize.

Hello to Skollwolfrun and Rick. Rick, I'll be sending you emails with numbers as soon as I hear back from my group. Skollwolfrun, I will definitely take up on all that, especially with crafting-- I'm really interested in alchemy for whatever character I play, when BP allows.

Seattle, in my opinion, doesn't seem out of the question Draven! I also might know of a future page that lives in that neck of the woods, if your chapter allows for them.

Where are you physically located? If you're close to Portland Sean or I (or both!) could meet up with you and bring some equipment and share information.

Where are you physically located? If you're close to Portland Sean or I (or both!) could meet up with you and bring some equipment and share information.

The majority of us are in the Downtown-Milwaukie area and our GM drives in from Beaverton. I think that would be a great way for everyone else to learn more about the hobby. I'll get back to you about possible dates/times some of us can meet up with you/Sean.

Sounds good!

Both Oregon and Seattle allow for pages, and usually have at least one there per game.

Sean or I (or both!) could meet up with you and bring some equipment and share information.

So I have four folks, including myself, available and willing to learn a bit more about the hobby. Saturdays and Sundays will likely be the best days. When would be good for Rick and/or Sean?

I am locked up for this Saturday and most of next Saturday. Free on Sunday afternoons and evenings.

This week is, unfortunately, bad for me in terms of time. Next week I am much more open.

Put me down as a tentative right now, but I don't foresee that being a problem. Even if I don't end up showing up, Sean (SkollWolfrun) is a great resource.

If needed that's amazingly enough the only day this month I have nothing planned.

Back