[.11] Potion Coatings

jwconvery

Spellsword
"The Potion Coating Ritual allows Earth Potions to be applied to the target weapon in exactly the same manner as a contact poison. These potions are delivered with the Spell qualifier. This Ritual may be combined with other Rituals as appropriate."

"These potions are delivered with the Spell qualifier."
Is that "2 Spell Cure Mortal Wounds" or "Spell Strike Cure Mortal Wounds"
I think the former, but then that can't heal people, which seems odd, but maybe intended.

"This Ritual may be combined with other Rituals as appropriate."
Does this refer to the Poison Cache/ Poison Trigger rituals? Is there a different potion version, or does the poison rituals work for both.

This is a question that probably applies to the current rules, but I just thought about it with 2.0.
"Contact gels used on weapons last until they connect, not one swing (other than Arrows/Bolts)."
If I have a Potion Coating, with a Destruction Potion applied, on a weapon with a Warrior's Incantation ritual on it. Can I "Spell strike <spell>" and connect on an enemy, without losing the Potion Coating? Spell Strikes are generally not 'swings' but I'm not sure how this interaction works.

-Joe

I suspect it would be Spell Cure X Wounds, since the old healing names are gone.

In order!

1) The call should be "X Spell Strike Healing", where X is however strong the applied Potion is (5, 25, 40); the Potion already has a numerical value associated with it, which should override the normal damage call (unlike with a Poison, which does not have an automatic numerical value and thus only changes the carrier).

ETA: Calls have been universalised as much as possible in 2.0 to go in "[Number] [Qualifier] [Carrier/Effect]" order, with Strike added in cases where a Weapon is used to deliver an effect that uses Packet rules, which is why it would be "X Spell Strike Healing". On a related note, Earth spells use the incant of "grant X healing", so wounds would never be said regardless for a healing Potion.

2) It should refer to those two Rituals, yes; if there are others, none are coming to mind off the top of my head. Potion Coating allows a Potion to function as a Contact Poison, including use with those Rituals.

3) My guess would be that yes, you could "save" the coating that way? On a semi-related note, though, it was brought up at our chapter's packet discussion meeting that the wording on Contact Poison is very particular; note that it says "until it connects", not "until it scores a valid hit", which means a Coating is NOT expended if you miss entirely but it IS expended if you hit a shield.

Follow up on question 1: then if the effect did not have a number associated with it. Would it still have the weapon damage as the number and function as a carrier attack, or a spell strike with no number.

"2 Spell Strike Destruction" thus needing to get through armor,
Or
"Spell Strike Destruction"

If I'm understanding the intent of the wording correctly, it would simply be "Spell Strike Destruction"; it also hits as a Spell, so even if you do have to call damage the effect would bypass armor and they'd take the Destruction unless they called a defense against it (Spell Shield or Cloak Curse would both work).

So posion coatings would be different than potion coatings. Posions coatings being unchanged, within the packet as far as I can see, would still have a number in the call and requiring to get through armor.

2 Weapon Strike Vertigo for example.

Or does Posion Strike exist someplace and I missed it.

Joe

Last edited:
No, you've pretty much got it; Poisons still get swung with a number, but they can be paired with any other skill that boosts damage, so "70 Enfeeble" (Vertigo is going away in 2.0) is a valid swing if you expend a Slay. Potion Coating, if I'm reading it correctly, wouldn't allow you to swing any amount of damage at all unless you applied a Necromancy Potion, so "70 Spell Strike Healing" or "50 Spell Strike Destruction" would be impossible to call, and calling "40 Spell Strike Chaos" (the Necromancy version) might lead to other issues for your PC.

No, you've pretty much got it; Poisons still get swung with a number, but they can be paired with any other skill that boosts damage, so "70 Enfeeble"

Wait they how does someone with resist poison know to resist a weapon attack with a coating?? Shouldnt the attack be soemthing like "70 Enfeeble poison"?

Oh it is much worse then that. Found the roles for posion coatings:

For Example: Sarah has several interesting skills and rituals. She comes up to Beatrice and swings for “10 Normal”. Beatrice blocks, taking no damage. Sarah then activates a skill and swings again with her poisoned dagger for “10 Poison Strike Sleep”, hitting Beatrice’s shield again. This time Beatrice takes the damage since the Strike keyword was included. If the attack goes through her armor, she will have to contend with the Poison Sleep effect.

maybe i need to go re-read the packet, but why are any of these gaining STRIKE? you get SPELL instead of WEAPON, you do not get STRIKE. 10 Poison Enfeeble. 20 spell healing.or am i missing something?

edit: where's that at tantarus?

I made an error in typing that call, apologies. Unless something has changed, it should be "70 Poison Enfeeble"; it doesn't use the Strike keyword and is delivered via weapon, so it still has to bypass armor despite using the Poison qualifier, but could be blocked entirely (damage included) by one Poison Shield or Resist Poison.

I could be wrong about this one, but I did some research and didn't find anything to contradict this?

For the record, searching both the ARB 1.3 and the 0.11b Playtest Packet, I can't find the example you posted, Tantarus; which page is it on?

I made an error in typing that call, apologies. Unless something has changed, it should be "70 Poison Enfeeble"; it doesn't use the Strike keyword and is delivered via weapon, so it still has to bypass armor despite using the Poison qualifier, but could be blocked entirely (damage included) by one Poison Shield or Resist Poison.

I could be wrong about this one, but I did some research and didn't find anything to contradict this?

No that seems right to me.

For the record, searching both the ARB 1.3 and the 0.11b Playtest Packet, I can't find the example you posted, Tantarus; which page is it on?

upload_2018-8-1_16-5-4.png

I think at one point in a previous packet there were rituals and/or abilities that let you poison strike. I don't think they are there any more. Immediately before your quote in the packet is also:

For example: A character with a flaming sword might swing for “5 Flame”. A character throwing a magical blast of energy might throw a packet with the call “5 Elemental Flame” or “5 Spell Flame”. An alchemist tossing a globe of sleeping gas might throw a packet with the call “Poison Sleep”, while an archer with poisoned arrows might shoot for “10 Poison Sleep”. The arrows will only cause the target to fall asleep if they penetrate their armor, while the gas globe will work whether or not the target has armor since it is called without a number. If someone is healed by Flame, they will not be healed by the “5 Flame” weapon swing, but they will be healed by the Elemental or Spell Flame packets.

I’m pretty sure the Strike is coming from one of the “several interesting skills” that Sarah has. It’s probably Suprising Strike.

Ah, okay. Hmm...

In this case, my best guess is that Sarah in the example is using a Poisoned Dagger with the Surprising Strike skill, which allows the use of the Strike keyword for one swing. It does specify she activates a skill, and that's the only one that really fits the bill for this.

ETA: Ninja'd by Tieran. :p

Moving back to the original question then does that mean the potion coating does not get the strike qualifier either?

Hmm... I still think it should be "Spell Strike", because it's hitting as a Spell and should therefore still be using the Packet rules.

In a similar vein, in a playtest there was a monster that swung for "6 Spell" (this was before the Strike keyword rules), and it popped Spell Shields and affected you even if you blocked it with a weapon or shield.

Only a little bit. :p It had a weapon and no claws, so if you Shattered or Disarmed the weapon it only had spells to fall back on. They were Necromancy spells, but it's hard to get incants off while calculating damage. :p

Back