Pre-Event Meal?

Just curious - what do you guys go for, food-wise, before an event, and why?

Personally, I go for either a footlong roast beef sub from Subway, or orange chicken from Panda Express.

I got excited when I read this thread title as "Pre-Event Metal'

I tend not to eat before the game so I don't feel bogged down while running around like a crazy person.

I could always use Pre-Event Metal. Manowar is usually the only allowable playlist on the ride to an event.

Food-wise, I go for the Subway Footlong as well. Carbs, deliciousness and bacon. It keeps me going into the wee hours that first night since I'm always coming straight from work and Friday Nights end up with me being awake for at least 20 hours.

Before SoMN events, our carload usually stops at the Subway a mile or two off from the site. I do it for the carbs to keep me going that night, I guess, but proximity to site also holds true. But then again, now that we've got the new permanent site, I'll have to find a new pre-game eating joint...

Before Chicago events, our carload usually swings by the local family diner, which serves inexpensive, amazing quality food. Occasionally, we also go there after the event on our way back to Minnesota, if we manage to leave site before they close early on Sunday.

typically Subway: covers pretty much any tastes, price is fair

when I cooked for CT, I'd grab a roasted chicken (or two, if they were on sale), and some sides... or a chicken pot pie to throw in the oven. And I'd sample the ratatouille as it was simmering, if I was making it for the vegetarian option. There was also a nearby grinder place... and a 5 guys near the grocery store. Mmmm... 5 guys.

I think it's time for lunch. Now I'm starving.

I usually try to be good and have a decent meal a couple of hours before heading up the mountain, but inevitably that doesn't work out and I end up grabbing a Bacon Ultimate Cheeseburger from Jack in the Box just before leaving civilization.

Shandar said:
I usually try to be good and have a decent meal a couple of hours before heading up the mountain, but inevitably that doesn't work out and I end up grabbing a Bacon Ultimate Cheeseburger from Jack in the Box just before leaving civilization.

Mine's a Whopper value meal but I'm the same way. If I have just an extra 15 minutes though, I manage to stop at a Boston Market and have a Turkey Sandwich and creamed spinach - it makes me think I'm eating healthier.

Sushi if I've the time and coin, something from Burgerville if I'm in a rush, otherwise, whatever's clever. Last event it was Lebanese food - some shanklish, artichoke hearts in garlic cream sauce, and gyros.

Post-event is almost always Mexican - usually either carne asada or arroz con camarones.

Subway is a pretty regular occurrence, cheap, good, filling and Fridays you get a free cookie.
It also somewhat depends on the site location. Burgerville is a great, albeit spendy choice, you can also usually find a decent mom and pop burger shack along most highways.

I always stop by my parents house one the way to events in Seattle and Oregon to raid the pantry and their leftovers. As is the way of the poor college larper...

Subway really is the best of the fast food options for price and health, but in my mind carbs are the most important thing. Carbs before and at main meals. However during events a protein snack is really key. If you dont plan on snacking I think adding protein to the meal is important so once again subs end up a good choice.

Back