Preparing For Battle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruki

Scholar
Ruki finished the poster he had created and began sticking it around the Lux and eventually in the tavern. After putting up the last of the posters he sat down with a drink... and another... and another. The human was determined to not allow what happened just days prior to happen again, and focusing on the battle to come and the drinks helped keep him distracted from the intrusive thoughts of the atrocities he had committed as well as mistakes he had made.

The post read:

"Ruki Lanark, Celestial Armsman of the Arcane Sanctum is opening up his personal inventory to all who choose to fight alongside him in the Dark Reaches. All reagents (9 in total) and a select few rituals (Potion Coating, Poison Coating, and Poison Trigger) will be made available free of charge. Also, he will also be giving his coin to those who seek the purchase of reagents and rituals and making his limited ritual casting abilities available to those in need. There are conditions:

-Reagents and rituals will be granted upon ritual casting
-All rituals must be cast prior to dinner on the Sunday of the next gathering
-If you accept these items, you must take part in all future missions to the Reaches

War is upon us. The time to horde personal wealth and power is gone. If the battle is lost, all will be lost... including your items you kept squirreled away for 'another time.' Empower our allies, for it is the only way we will succeed."

It was a long shot, but Ruki hoped that his allies would follow suit. He began jotting down some notes on some scrap parchment about potential improvements, harebrained schemes and other such nonsense that popped into his mind that could help the war effort.

Solveig had been watching Ruki putting up the posters from her porch, she walked over to one and read it. She nods in approval and walks over to him once he’s finished posting the rest.
“Ruki! It’s a noble thing you’re doing. I’m going to go through what Sarryn and I have and contribute as well. I’m glad we are going into battle with you, you’re a good man and I’m proud to call you my friend.”

Mal broke what quiet was in the tavern upon their arrival. They shuffled through the door, papers flying everywhere as they did so. The orcs hands were full of parchment, and they seemed to drop one piece of it everytime they picked another up. Finally with a huff, Mal unceremoniously dropped all the papers and let them flutter to the ground. They stood there, frowning at the mess, before finally looking up.

"Oh, hullo Ruki, hullo Solvieg. Give me a minute 't get sorted 'ere." They looked back to the pile, then to the board. They squinted at the new paper there then grinned, nodding back to Ruki. "That is very helpful Ruki. I'm tryin' 't manage my own project right now, or I'd lend a hand."

Ruki smiled, his cheeks a bit rosey from the drink. "I'm glad to hear it, Sol! Our trek into the reaches the other night was a disaster in every sense of the word. If we go in unprepared and underarmed, we'll likely lose more lives. And since we aren't receiving much help from the powers above, I decided to take it upon myself to arm the troops as best I can." He took a long drink and sighed, "Hopefully others follow our path. I know there are those out there who are hording, I used to be that way myself. But if we don't all come together and share our wealth and resources, we're dead."

He nodded to his cabin-mate, "Hello there Mal. What projects are you working on? Anything I can lend a hand with?"

Mal sighed and look from the papers on the ground to Ruki. They bent down and began to pick them up. "I dunno 'bout helping. I'm tryin' t get a circle of power set up for rituals. But 't make it last for 5 years l need a catalyst for it. And I still need t find a circle of power ritual itself, with reagents.... Then I need t check in with Thistle to make sure she's rallying the potion makers and alchemists for this next month. Then I need to go with Illandra t get some things sorted. " Mal winked at Solvieg upon the last statement.

Solveig blushes at Mal’s Words.
“Thank you for being such a help Mal.”
She turns back to Ruki.
“All of the rituals are open to the community, the reagents as well. House Therion will give whatever it can to keep the people of the Lux safe.”
She raises her cup. “It’s not just about individuals anymore, it’s all of us.”

"Agreed," Ruki smiled and downed his drink. "With a plan and some more magical items for the ranks, we'll be fine. Also, getting more structure when we're there. The chaos does not work, as Cass can attest." He took a moment and paused, "The Reaches worked best with small groups. I'm not saying everyone stays home... that would be suicide. Multiple smaller groups making up a big one. A more formal battle buddy system."

Solveig nods as her friend speaks. “Yes a more focused approach would be best. I know there are some plans in the works on that front. This time we will be ready.” The last words leave her with a sour taste in her mouth as she thinks back to that night. She shudders and looks Ruki in the eyes.
“We will be ready, and we will succeed. On my life, I won’t let anyone fall to the beasts again.” She says with conviction and then downs her drink.

"It'll be all of our lives, and those we care about, if we don't," Ruki sighed. As the silence crept in, as did his intrusive thoughts. He stood up and smiled to his friend, "We're not going to fail again, I'm sure of it." With that, the human nodded and headed out of the tavern with no real direction in mind... hoping the thoughts stayed behind for a drink.

Solveig waves as he leaves, she sits for a moment to finish her drink and then stands up to leave.
“See you at the house Mal.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back