Preparing for July market...

Shen [he/him]

Scholar
Chicago Staff
Marshal
I touched on it briefly at my last attending, but it was late and the conversation held few.

The UnDead Plague is a confluence of necromancy, mass graves, and general illness surrounding decay.

Mass graves which were improperly hastenly fashioned have led to an infestation of grime which over time has grown from illness to plague. Necromancy which raises the dead at these locations, raises tainted UnDead, which are capable of spreading this plague.

If these locations can be found, they could be cleansed by dedicated Artisans and Earth Magicians. Which hopefully will help address the issue of Plague before the UnDead are up and moving. In theory, each location has festered like a wound. Some should be easy to cleanse (like those of the first stage of the plague) and those locations which are older, will be much harder to cleanse. While this does not address the desecration of the dead, or the matter of an active necromancer, it can address the plagues spread by the Necromancer's activities. Anyone who has knowledge of the area, cultivation, or military experience should be able to assist in the discovery of these mass graves. Those whom have an exceptionally devoted heart; if these undead were given proper burials (size, location, and respect) it will theoretically severally dampen the Necromancer's ability to raise them in mass as less will be able to fit within their Circle of Power, and those that do; tend to be less vengeful.

I noticed at the Market I attended that there was a distinct lack of Cariosus Reagents discovered or available for sale. For those unaware, Cariosus; affectionately refereed to as "ghoul grease" is a confluence of magical essence notably found among the body and area of reanimation. I hazard that the most likely cause for this is that any encountered undead are being burned, as is the area they are discovered. Which has a drawback of destroying any potential Cariosus which may have formed on them or in the area. This Reagent is incredibly important and very strong in rituals of Life, Death, and Spirit as it is notably formed from a confluence of those energies. So long as this plague continues, I would hazard that the lack of this Reagent may become more and more noticeable and a problem - until eventually only a Ritualist whom is very skilled will be able to cast those Rituals which call for it, by using their skill to substitute the magic of one reagent for another.

It is also a recommendation that talented Artisans and Earth Magicians should seek the guidance they need to discover where the area's Wells are. Mass Graves are frequently created downhill. Those that are poorly constructed are typically shallow. These two traits combined, in a worst case senerio amount to local rain water which is filtered by the land to the streams and wells, can also become contaminated.

Frequent Cleansing of Wells and other appropriate sources of water will assist in the prevention of this illness to spread, and help over a longer period of time perhaps immunize others to allow them to fight off this illness, giving a longer window for the infected to seek treatment. If it were to spread to the water supply, the illness could become unmanageable. Should it spread to the mouths of streams, local wildlife could become tainted, thus food - which would have an equally devastating result. To this end, Adventurers should be mindful of the potential need for a Bountiful Harvest Scroll and Catalyst as the Heat of the Growing season draws closer to a close and learn quickly if such a ritual will be needed to feed the population.

Everything I have said is intermixed of theory, education and experience. Please do not treat it as investigated truths, but wisdom which can shed light on possible origins and possible solutions. I will not be in attendance at this coming market, but I am a member of the Magician's Guild and through them word can reach me easily enough if needed.

Good evening,

I am most interested in following up on this and will give my full talents to confirm as much as possible about this undead sickness.

Where would I find this Magicians Guild? Is it like the Earth Guild of Gaden? I was once a member of that organization.

A simple healer,

-Innoxius

Last edited:
Innoxius,

To compare the Magician's Guild of Erabella to the Earth guild of Gaden is not entirely inaccurate but the scope of the Magician's Guild is beyond just that of dealing with necromancers and their ilk. They deal with all kinds of magical issues such as investigating the magical walls surrounding the capital of Erabella and reactivating Erabella's version or the disjunction network. However, when citizens discover necromancy at work they report it to the Magician's Guild and the title of Magician is often synonymous with Undead Hunter. They are primarily the ones who deal with such matters in Erabella.

As for getting in contact with the Magician's Guild, they have been at every gathering thus far and there are several Initiates among the adventurers. I'm sure that you'll have no trouble meeting them there and I'll be sure to direct you to them if I see them.

Zen Mallowbrooks

Yes, the Magicians guild holds both Celestial and Earth casters. Those whom purely dedicate their effort toward only magic, and those who intermix said knowledge with other skills.

As I do not live in the area, when I visit I always check for messages and potential needed jobs within the guild. Which is also convenient reminder if someone among the adventures left word for me that need me to respond or anything.

My purposed ideas are broad enough where anyone should be able to investigate it and engage in a little trial-and-error. As for the plague itself, I know that has already been investigated pretty well and any information you might seek is already available with local adventurers; which is why I didnt repeat any of it.

If anyone does find the time and resources to go out and investigate some of these Mass graves - let me know how it goes.

Good evening,

I shall let you know the results of the grave digging and shall strive to better compile the collective knowledge of the adventurers in a more formal and verifiable manner.

-Innoxius

[OOG: Friendly reminder to sign all in-game forum posts with the character speaking.]

Back