pretty cool costuming...

Why don't I see you in other chapters?

Cause I only have the time/money to attend so many events each season, and NH is where my peeps are.

The peeps is everything friends. Omega/Maelstrom also happens to be run by some really, really amazing people.

As for up'ing the illusion of our own game, so to speak. Simply put I just don't think we have, or are likely to get, the kind of resources they pump into it in the UK. No disrespect to Mike V. and all the Alliance staff; you guys have made a great game, but a profitable business model.... not so much. In the UK it is. Omega and Maelstrom represent small, independent games, and their numbers probably still outdo our large events. They even restrict the number of player spots at each event to maintain a workable ratio to staff/npc's. Lorien Trust's the Gathering, on the other hand, has upwards of 3000 players each year.

Dreamingfurther said:
Fynwei, all I have to say is come out east for even one game, and you will have a much better perspective on what Alliance should and can be in the majority of chapters. Thats why I said the better end of Alliance costuming and makeup isn't so far from this. I'm sure Seatle will be a step up certainly! ;) Although we all could work on slowly working more and more in-period things into the game. (Tents, goblets, trinkets, exe exe)

Lol I'm glad you are excited and happy with the East Coast chapters Dreaming, but this is exactly the type of statement that has bred resentment in the past in non-east coast chapters.

Most of the Midwest chapters are less then 5 years old (correct me if I'm wrong) under their current owners and it takes time to improve costuming/camps etc. Part of that is it takes time to build a big enough base of players to allow those running to game to do more then pay for the camp and the bare basics (tags etc.)

I certaintly don't believe I'm the only one that takes exception when people make statements like 'You'll see what Alliance SHOULD be, and could be in those 'others (read lesser?) chapters' Alliance is a game, and one hell of a fun one at that, and in my opinion if you have a base of active players that are putting effort in each game to make it a little bit better, then THATS what Alliance should be. The fact that longer running chapters have bigger player bases/better costuming etc. is great, but looking at the PROPS of the game and saying thats what it should be judged on is shallow and irritates me to no end.

Please forgive my ranting, but I occasionally feel the need to speak out and provide a counter point to help balance things out.

PS: yes Dreaming, I know you don't mean offense, but I think sometimes you can be too focused on whats lacking and you miss the potential of whats there to be had.

Lurin said:
PS: yes Dreaming, I know you don't mean offense, but I think sometimes you can be too focused on whats lacking and you miss the potential of whats there to be had.

As an FYI, Lurin, I also felt a little bit of offense at the comment. But, between being a (somewhat) mature individual as well as knowing the issue with misinterpreting tone and so on with online postings, I simply assumed that the comment wasn't meant as "East Coast knows how to run and prop a game and the rest really dont." Personally, I have been to games down in Los Angeles with sets, props and costumes that blow away anything NERO or Alliance anywhere has ever offered.

Hey I don't chase down every posting I disagree with to respond to, there is nothing 'mature' about letting things you disagree with lay unchallenged when you can discuss it in a civil tongue. Me and Dreaming disagree on some things and thats fine, we both know that and I think it lets us both refine our views of the game.

Dave, (Lurin) I'm disapointed you made a comment like this. I had NO thoughts or intentions of denegrating any chapters. The spirit of my comment was, "these are more established chapters, other places that are growing can aspire to these sort of levels". If that is offensive then I opologize. But it seems like it is offensive to you to make any comparison or point out room for growth at all. I am in NO way trying to denegrate up and coming smaller chapters. Heck, the majority of my experience thus far LARP'ing IS with those sort of chapters. I'm just trying to say it can always be so much better! :) And for the sake of example I believe that is just as much (if not more since there are more people) the case with all the "bigger" more established chapters as well. There is always more room to expand, for everyone. :) And I don't think that looking for ways to improve is a mistake. Infact not doing that is the surest way to stunt growth and kill a game/chapter/whatever.

As far as what other people, I will repeate again and again if I offended anyone in the slightest I'm sorry and I hope I made the intention of that comment clear above. I love it when anyone is trying to run a game as long as they are trying their best and always trying to be improving things. :) What fustraits me is when people take offense at suggestions to improve by assuming that they are negative and critical. Even someone who might have poor ideas 90% of the time still has that usefull 10%, so I believe it is never at all valuble to dis-regard and put down peoples comments.

And Dave we know each other, please if you have an issue with something I've said I'd much rather work out sensative material through private message or email. I know we've rubbed against each other from time to time Dave, but your a good guy and I don't mind talking to you.

***added after I saw others comments while I wrote the last.

markusdark said:
Lurin said:

As an FYI, Lurin, I also felt a little bit of offense at the comment. But, between being a (somewhat) mature individual as well as knowing the issue with misinterpreting tone and so on with online postings, I simply assumed that the comment wasn't meant as "East Coast knows how to run and prop a game and the rest really dont." Personally, I have been to games down in Los Angeles with sets, props and costumes that blow away anything NERO or Alliance anywhere has ever offered.

And to further add, yes I certainly was not trying to say; "East Coast knows how to run and prop a game and the rest really dont." So thanks for your discresion. :) I really didn't mean to offend, and I was certainly not trying to comment on games I have never even played. :?

Hey I have played Chicago! ;) And I can say with happiness that I should be able to play the September, October, and November events in wayside if there are no other complications. :D

celestialgala-9687.jpg
carnivalofcarnage-5498.jpg

Crap. I have a clone...and her costuming's better. But at least I can see out of that eye.

Looks like I once again have to step it up.

-Ali

I play a cougar...but she's a privateer..and one of her eyes is scarred over with a contact, hence the clone comment :)

-Ali

It all makes sense, when you know what's going on.

She's not white no.

Never said you did.

Otherwise I would have said, "You're stupid! You've met her! You know she's not white!"

But I didn't ;-)

Back