Problem with Paypal link

IE9 is a valid browser. You are most correct. In fact it was surprisingly compliant in accepting many web standards that all the way up through IE8 Microsoft had refused to accept. That doesnt change the fact that versions prior were extremely buggy.

I agree that IE should be supported so long as it is a recent version of IE. But IE hate stems from long standing issues with having to support versions of IE long since out dated.. the biggest culprit IE6, who for some reason is still clung to in many technology circles.

Long story short though, if you want your web experience to be up to date you need to use compliant browsers. Its also worth while to have at least two of the 3 major ones (IE, Firefox and Safari), because as much as it would be nice to believe every site will always work the same in every browser, its simply not the case.

The Google chrome browser works.

Pantzike said:
avalon willowcrest said:
im not downloading chrome, or safari or fire fox, this should be fixed for people who use ie

It is... there's a $15 Luddite fee you can pay at the door when you do the transaction in cash :)

yes craig i am aware, and i think its bs.

Michiko said:
I use firefox and the link didn't work for me. But then I logged into Paypal and sent $45 to AllianceNH manually and everything seemed to go through that way.

thanks for the idea and thats exactly what i did too

when these kinds of things happen to me.. I view source the code for the form or button, determine the post method and target. Then I build a basic form on a new html page and submit from a different location to see if its a problem is on the receiving or sending end. depending on what happens I may try a plethora of other form debugging techniques.

avalon willowcrest said:
Pantzike said:
avalon willowcrest said:
im not downloading chrome, or safari or fire fox, this should be fixed for people who use ie

It is... there's a $15 Luddite fee you can pay at the door when you do the transaction in cash :)

yes craig i am aware, and i think its bs.

Hi Rachel,

I feel the need to jump in here given how obvious your frustration is coming through....

Regardless of any "BS" standards, this game is run by volunteers, on their personal time! We are VERY LUCKY to have someone willing to provide customer support for a program that isn't even owned by Deadlands.

We could have certainly washed our hands of the situation, removed the paypal link temporarily and advised everyone to just mail in checks (To be received prior to the Monday Deadline Tonight!), and/or paid the door price of $60.00 at the door. Ergo, we don't technically *need* to offer paypal, but we want to provide that courtesy to our players and George has even gone so far as to list his personal contact info to assist with this known issue.

My point being, please don't be so harsh on my staff. They're doing the best they can do.

Thank you kindly.

And to everyone, we do appreciate your patience and understanding while we work to resolve this issue. If you need anything further, please contact George or myself at deadlandslog@gmail.com.

I look forward to seeing everyone soon!

Cheers!

~Jaimi

So, being the good little slacker that I am I was just trying to send my pre-reg through the website at the last possible minute and discovered it's not working for me either. And I tried it on Safari, Firefox and Chrome on 2 different computers and my iphone and it still won't let me pay. I just want to verify that the email address I should manually send money to through paypal is the same since I haven't PC'd since 2009! =P Anyway, the last address that I have listed in my paypal account is

alliancedeadlandsnh@gmail.com

still good?

And, if whoever the web person is does want to look at this at some point I would be happy to offer some troubleshooting help from someone who is both having the problem and has some technical expertise (though I admit that web debugging is not my strong point)

Yea I couldn't get payment to work through the link either, but I sent it to alliancedeadlandsnh@gmail.com (the address you listed). That address was good as of the July event (the last one they ran) so I think you can be fairly confident that it is good.

I wasn't really going to weigh in on this as I dont really know the status of the Deadland site development but hopefully this will help some people.

For those who are having issues. As best I can tell the current site is being rendered inside an Html frame. Im sure this is for development purposes. However its a known "bug" that the javascript required to forward a paypal link will not always work if it is caputred within a html frame or iframe element. I put bug in quotes because its actually a security thing... so that hack attempts cant drop fake iframes/frames on a site with paypal links to fake locations. The downside is of coarse problems like we see here.

when you first get to alliancedeadlands.com if you are in firefox you can right click and go to "This Frame > Show Only This Frame".. it will look like nothing happened but if you check your url you will notice it is now pointed at inside the frame to where the page is being pulled from. If you navigate to the paypal link it should now work correctly.

I hope this helps.

Alternatively you can just log into http://www.paypall.com and find the 'send money' option. When you put in alliancedeadlandsnh@gmail.com it will come up as a 'authorized user' (or something similar) so you know that your not sending the money somewhere bogus. Add your name and whatnot into the notes at the bottom and then you are done!

hey guys! I only just got on the boards and figured this out, and sent the money. I also forgot to include my name as a note, but I did send it from zack.okeefe@comcast.net in case there was confusion. If this is too late, I can always bring in cash to pay at the door.

Back