Production Storage and Organization

Ash

Artisan
As a Productionist, my character has tons of tags and I continuously find myself in need of better ways of storing and organizing them. I'd preferably like something portable, waterproof and with enough slots to fit all of the production tags I produce and find in my travels, oh and cheap is nice too.

I've been looking into tackle boxes recently, as well as bead storage and nuts and bolts storage.

What do you guys use to keep your stock organized?

those plastic compartment bead storage or tackle boxes work well if you can find the right size and shape for portability. just make sure you check that something small like a tag wont be able to float out of its space between the dividers and the lid. if they do you could attach a couple layers of paper under the lid to create a seal. or a sheet of crafty foamy stuff that kids make stuff out of.

We use a chest for our potions, since they all go in vials. We use a small box and some rubber bands for the various alchemy production that doesn't have to be repped until you intend the throw it.

Having had someone make off with all my potions before because they *weren't* already in vials (if they had been, the bag they brought wouldn't have been big enough) I kind of prefer lugging the chest around.

YMMV.

If you need something for tags only, small photo-albums work wonders: you can get them in faux-leather covers; they have separate compartments for each type of tag; they're easily portable and can be quickly stashed/hidden. You do, however, run the risk of losing your entire stock if someone nicks your book.

I'm thinking more along the lines of an organized personal treasury type thing.

I think its pretty hard to answer this question in the general, because the mode of storage/organization you use heavily depends on what your goal with the treasure is, and the volume of the treasure being stored and organized.

However if its just treasure for one individual I would consider small or sandwitch size ziplock plastic bags. You can label them with sharpie and perhaps have one labeled 'healing', another 'protectives', another 'fixers' (for purify, release, antidote, ext...). Its important to scale whatever sort of storage system to the projected size and volume of your treasure.

Additionally you need to figure out whether or not you are going to try and keep all your potions/scrolls/alchemy 'repped' when in storage, because that significantly impacts the size considerations for storage. On the one hand having everything repped like others have said makes it harder to steel, and makes it easier to 'grab and go' when in a rush. But of course it takes up more space, and if you want to keep all your stuff repped in the same type of bottles or same size of scrolls you may need to regularly 're-rep' new production you get that isn't repped with the same dimensions ect.

If your are curious about more details I help maintain treasuries for two teams, one 6-8 players and one 10-14 players. I also have one character who is not on a team that I have a personal treasury for and I'd be happy to share more specific details if you wanted to send me a private message with more detailed questions.

To expand a little on the "repped production" thing...

For many of the people that I play with, including my team (of anywhere from 2 to 8 players per event, usually), we keep a few of each thing repped, and then rip tags as necessary. Let me explain.

Say I get Drained in a fight. I pull out my Purify potion, pop the cap, and "drink" it. It then goes in my OOG pouch. (The one I keep my character card, packets, flashlight in. Non-lootable stuff.) When I get back to the cabin, I pull out all my "dead" vials. If there are corresponding tags in the treasury? I rip them, rather than fish the tag out of the vial, rip it, and then restuff the vial. Takes about the same amount of time, but I spend less time swearing and banging potion reps on things :)

To get entirely back on topic, my team has an *awesome* production storage method, I'm going to take a look at the container and see if I can tell who makes it so I can find a link.

It's a two-lidded box, maybe 16 in by a foot and a few inches deep. One side opens up and we have these little stackable plastic "envelopes" (maybe 1.5 in x 2 in x .5 in) that fit with the 1.5 in x .5 in part facing up. It fits 6 or 7 rows across and 9 or so down, and each of the "envelopes" is labelled with a label-maker, different fonts and borders for coatings, gasses, elixirs and scrolls. Snap the lid shut, flip it over, and open that lid, and it's an area maybe 3/4 to an inch deep, and that's got all of the bigger tagged things: potions, armor, bolts/arrows, weapons. Things that aren't going to fit well in the little envelopes. We use tag rings to keep them organized (edged together, blunt weapons together, bows, throwing weapons... there are maybe 8 rings in there, and they all fit). There's 15 or characters worth of stuff in there, and it's all easy to find.

If you want to try to find something like it, I'd suggest scrapbooking storage units.

phedre said:
Takes about the same amount of time, but I spend less time swearing and banging potion reps on things
Lockpicks are your friend, and not just good for picking locks. ;)

To get entirely back on topic, my team has an *awesome* production storage method, I'm going to take a look at the container and see if I can tell who makes it so I can find a link.
That'd be awesome. I just started cataloging and storing for one of my groups and would love to see this, although, it sounds like you're primarily storing unrepped tags, is that correct?

Yup. Like I said earlier in that post, we all tend to carry around a few repped potions, and turn in or rip unrepped tags from the treasury.

it's also really good for storing the bolt/arrow, gas, and weapon tags that we accumulate. Fair warning, though, it would make it REALLY easy for someone to break in and steal your production in one swoop, with it easily concealed.

I have to pick up the treasury from another team member's house, my car was too full at the last event before I can post any more details... I'll poke around a bit online, and if I can't do that, I'll take some pictures and post them. Maybe someone else will have better luck recognizing the brand or storage type.

I found an awesome solution at A.C. Moore. Working on it now. Thanks guys!

Try something like this. Not exactly what I was talking about, but the closest I can find. Photo storage, scrapbook embellishment storage, and bead storage all yielded interesting ideas, as long as you stay away from the round ones. And the ones that just close a lid over the pre-molded compartments, tags can move over the top and scramble around.

When I get the treasury back I'll look at the bin for a brand name.

Back