Prospective new player

ophanim

Greetings, all!

My name is Matt, and I'm interested in checking out Alliance. I have played in other boffer LARPs over the years and so am not new to the hobby, but am new to Alliance and new-ish to the Northwest. I have some questions:

1. Are there any upcoming events other than full weekends? My experience has been that modules and/or single-day events are easier places to get acquainted with folks and introduce new characters, and if that's an option, I'd like to know any details.

2. Can you recommend sources for boffer weapons and packets? I have many talents, but weapon-making is not among them. :D I'd just as soon buy quality from someone who has the knack. Similarly, while I can stuff birdseed and twist rubber bands with the best of them, I don't own a sewing machine, and would rather pay someone to make empty packet sleeves. Is there someone who is handy at making them who might be available for hire?

3. I've seen recommendations in the forums to hold off on purchasing a rulebook on account of a new one coming soon. How soon is soon, and are there written resources for things like rules, spell incants, etc. to be had in the meantime?

4. Is the donation wishlist current?

Thanks kindly, and I look forward to meeting you,
Matt

ophanim said:
Greetings, all!

My name is Matt, and I'm interested in checking out Alliance. I have played in other boffer LARPs over the years and so am not new to the hobby, but am new to Alliance and new-ish to the Northwest. I have some questions:

Welcome to the Northwest and Alliance Seattle! :D

ophanim said:
1. Are there any upcoming events other than full weekends? My experience has been that modules and/or single-day events are easier places to get acquainted with folks and introduce new characters, and if that's an option, I'd like to know any details.

As far as I am aware there are not any gamedays currently planned. However, gamedays are often only planned a couple weeks in advance so there is still the possibility of one happening before our March event.

ophanim said:
2. Can you recommend sources for boffer weapons and packets? I have many talents, but weapon-making is not among them. :D I'd just as soon buy quality from someone who has the knack. Similarly, while I can stuff birdseed and twist rubber bands with the best of them, I don't own a sewing machine, and would rather pay someone to make empty packet sleeves. Is there someone who is handy at making them who might be available for hire?

There are several members of the community that can and do make weapons/packets for other players for a small fee. I am sure they will chime in shortly. :) Our spell packets aren't fancy, sewn packets like some may have. A patch of fabric stuffed with birdseed and bound by a rubber band is what a majority of players use.

ophanim said:
3. I've seen recommendations in the forums to hold off on purchasing a rulebook on account of a new one coming soon. How soon is soon, and are there written resources for things like rules, spell incants, etc. to be had in the meantime?

Soon is as soon as the owners proof-read their books, send them back to the Alliance Chair for final review and changes, and he gets the book printed. I have heard rumors that a new rulebook will be available in a month or two. Maybe.

There really aren't any resources online, yet, for rules due to copyright of the book. However, when the new edition comes out an electronic version will be available for acquisition. If you can't wait to learn our rules I am sure it can be arranged for someone to meet with you and go over some of the basics (such as races, classes, basic skills, incantations, magic, combat, etc.). Where-abouts do you live?

ophanim said:
4. Is the donation wishlist current?

Sort of, but not really. Most of the items on the wishlist are constantly desired and until otherwise noted the bonus for bolded items is still in effect. Once Monster Camp has been gone through an updated list can be provided. Basically, we are always looking for donations! :D

ophanim said:
Thanks kindly, and I look forward to meeting you,
Matt

And we look forward to meeting you as well. :)

There are several members of the community that can and do make weapons/packets for other players for a small fee. I am sure they will chime in shortly. :) Our spell packets aren't fancy, sewn packets like some may have. A patch of fabric stuffed with birdseed and bound by a rubber band is what a majority of players use.

If you want some fancy spell packets, I can help you out with those :D I can do special cuts (easier to hold more) and paint them.

Welcome to Alliance!

Hi there! (^_^)
We are always excited to see more new people! At least I am!

There are game days, but I would really recommend the weekend trips over those, but that is just my personal opinion.

Just curious, are you interested in PCing or NPCing??? Jw.

Alavatar said:
Welcome to the Northwest and Alliance Seattle! :D

Thank you! I love it here, so much.

Alavatar said:
ophanim said:
1. Are there any upcoming events other than full weekends?

As far as I am aware there are not any gamedays currently planned. However, gamedays are often only planned a couple weeks in advance so there is still the possibility of one happening before our March event.

OK. I will keep my eyes peeled.

Alavatar said:
ophanim said:
2. Can you recommend sources for boffer weapons and packets?

Good to know. Thank you!

Alavatar said:
If you can't wait to learn our rules I am sure it can be arranged for someone to meet with you and go over some of the basics (such as races, classes, basic skills, incantations, magic, combat, etc.). Where-abouts do you live?

Cap Hill, north end of Broadway. Anyone close by?

kasuni said:
If you want some fancy spell packets, I can help you out with those :D I can do special cuts (easier to hold more) and paint them.

Welcome to Alliance!

Thanks, and thank you! I'll drop you a private message so we can talk more.

Matt

Pino said:
Hi there! (^_^)
We are always excited to see more new people! At least I am!

Thank you. :D

There are game days, but I would really recommend the weekend trips over those, but that is just my personal opinion.

Eh, I suspect it's just a matter of taste. I've found it's easier for me to ease into a character and a game if I can do it gradually. Weekends are often occasions when big plots and events wrap up or come to a head, and while they're great if you're already invested and interested in the story, they're often difficult to break into fresh, at least for me.

Just curious, are you interested in PCing or NPCing??? Jw.

I will probably commit to NPCing a handful of times so I can get a feel for the game and the play style before making a PC. Still, one of my favorite and longest-lived characters was a PC I made while walking blindly into a game, so who knows? :D

If you want someone to help you go over stuff, I'm also in capitol hill :) a few blocks from the north broadway qfc. I've got a rulebook and could help you out :)

kasuni said:
If you want someone to help you go over stuff, I'm also in capitol hill :) a few blocks from the north broadway qfc. I've got a rulebook and could help you out :)

Excellent. We could meet on Broadway or 15th Ave sometime soon, although preferably after the 1st, as work has me wrapped up until then. :)

[quote="ophanim]
Excellent. We could meet on Broadway or 15th Ave sometime soon, although preferably after the 1st, as work has me wrapped up until then. :)[/quote]

Sure! I actually leave town until the first :p

Cool. I am not even sure if we have any game days set up any time soon.
But yeah Emily (Kasuni) is in Capitol Hill and she is a total sweetheart. And it seems she is already willing to help you out.

Capitol Hill is one of the best places to live in Seattle, in my opinion.

Pino said:
But yeah Emily (Kasuni) is in Capitol Hill and she is a total sweetheart. And it seems she is already willing to help you out.

You warm my heart darling!!

(I swear this is relevant)

kasuni said:
Pino said:

You warm my heart darling!!

(I swear this is relevant)

(^_______^) I sure hope I do darling! You married me! xD

Back