Question about 2handed blunt construction

I've been working on a 2handed hammer for my return to Nero.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v451/Izlude1984/hammer.jpg

The closed cell padding that I used on the shaft is a octagonal "fun noodle" that I thought would make for a cool look that was different from the average "round" shapped shafts.

Everything else is to spec ala the rules but I wanted to make sure (before I finished it) that this type of padding would be appropriate. The foam itself is just as thick (if not moreso) than the regular closed cell foam from home depot and is designed to be water proof (its a fun noodle!!!).

Has anyone else used something like this? Or would I need to have someone inspect it in person (after I finish it) to verify it as acceptable material?

Izlude_Oranes said:
I've been working on a 2handed hammer for my return to Nero.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v451/Izlude1984/hammer.jpg

The closed cell padding that I used on the shaft is a octagonal "fun noodle" that I thought would make for a cool look that was different from the average "round" shapped shafts.

Everything else is to spec ala the rules but I wanted to make sure (before I finished it) that this type of padding would be appropriate. The foam itself is just as thick (if not moreso) than the regular closed cell foam from home depot and is designed to be water proof (its a fun noodle!!!).

Has anyone else used something like this? Or would I need to have someone inspect it in person (after I finish it) to verify it as acceptable material?
There have been others to use shaved fun noodle and it passed, tho the final test will be the passing. One thing everone says tho is that fun noodle breaks down faster so it may be that you will have to repair it more often.
Now what worrys me from the picture is that I can see a bend in the weapon already, tho that may be the pic. What kinda core are you useing?

pvc pipe, its... um... I don't know exactly how thick it is. so I'll take a screenshot for ya:

pipe.gif

If you really want, you can swing it by me sometime and I'll give you a preliminary eval on it. Better to have it done before a game, yah?

Pool noodle is generally considered an acceptable padding. However, you want to keep it out of extreme temperatures, moreso than normal pipe foam.

From the screen shot it looks like 3/4's pvc. I don't remember anything about that being a bad thing unless you want it to be more towards the lighter side of a weapon. I've also had a couple fun noodle weapons and yes there are ok to use, but yes they do break down a little faster then regular close cell.

I do see the bend that Phill was talking about but it does look like it's mainly the pic. It looks great tho.

Thanks :) I am also planning to have a suit of chainmail and a few pieces of plate before the october event for my return. I'll be NPCing till then to earn up the points to learn 2handed blunts... Ohhh how fun it will be.

And maybe I'll take up earth magic.

Hell... I should just reroll... :(

Looks like schedule 40, 3/4" PVC, which should be fine.

A note of caution:
Expect the head to come off. Every time I see a head that is not flush-fastened to the shaft, and especially when not pierced through by the shaft, they get torn off about three to five fights into the game, if that long.

Also, make sure that the corners will not compress and stick into pointy bits.

I've already done a bit of combat testing with it and I tried to fasten the head down as securely as possible given the design. The head squishes nice and softly with no points and as far as I can tell it doesnt "wobble" too much.

The real test is simply goign to be the upcoming gameday. I'll see how well it works at that point.

Till then, I just need to strap some leather to it and finish the pommel.

And heck, if it isnt safe, at least it'll make a neat decoration for a wall in my house. :)

Back