Questions about Camp Roganunda

Alavatar

Baron
Yay! We have a site for the game!

I have never been to this site, so I have a few questions.

1) Because of this sudden change will prices for attending the game change?

2) Where is Camp Roganunda? I tried to google it but got virtually nothing of value (except it is a youth camp for Campfire of Yakima)

3) Is there an old map of the site's layout?

4) Will the game be in a special section of the campgrounds like the ELC at Miller?

5) Will we still be in the Crossroads (specifically the Adventurer's corner) or will it be RPed as a different location due primarily to the upcoming wedding? :)

6) What kind of amenities does Camp Roganunda have (i.e. heated cabins, kitchen, etc.)?

You can get directions to the camp here -

http://www.everythingyakima.com/dir...roganunda_council_camp_roganunda_352/details/

The site has a large-ish central lodge and is completely seperate from everything else. There are some outlying cabins we have rented as well as the central lodge. RP'ly, this event will be taking place on the Count DiOrsini's estate.

It has a kitchen. The cabins, from my understanding, are not heated and have (or had) open screening on them. The main lodge sleeps twenty people, the cabins sleep 8.

Thanks for the quick reply!

The link you supplied gives directions to the Yakima Campfire HQ, not the actual camp. Should we just call the Campfire people for directions?

The best I found was here: http://www.brainygeography.com/features/WA.locale/camproganunda.html

Which basically says that it's on the 410 a little south of Boulder Cave. I'm still looking for directions otherwise I will probably get lost! :p

Camp Roganunda
19600 Highway 410
Naches, WA 98937
(509)685-2647
(509) 453-9151

Mk, not everyone has been playing since we used to use Rogie as the usual camp, and I haven't been there since Seattle started using the ELCs.
Here's what I know:
I have not found a good map. I found a topo map that shows the layout, but not which building is which. I'm still looking, I should have asked when I called.

You should be able to google map to these co-ordinates: 46.9524?N, 121.0823?W
The nearest town is Naches. It's not that large a town.

Rogie is a Campfire youth camp. There isn't any campground section, it's all ours.

The kitchen is a regular house-type kitchen. There is a refridgerator, but I reccomend everyone bring as little parishable food as possible. There have been renovations to the camp since I've been there, but last time, there was 1 refrigerator.

The lodge is seriously one of the most IG-ish taverns I've ever been in while larping. (Or at least it was, last time I was there.) Here are some pictures:
http://www.yakima-campfire.com/cfusa012.htm
http://www.yakima-campfire.com/page2.html
Don't poo-poo sleeping in the lodge, that place rocks, and is the best place ever for wave battles. It has a fireplace and a bathroom.

If you look at the second link, down in the right hand corner (next to the teepee) is a green building. Those are the cabins. They're screened in around the top, similar to some of the ones at Silver Falls. This means that it'll be colder at night, but if you bring tapestries, you can really keep the heat in by putting them up. Cabins have electricity. (I'm almost positive that includes lighting.) Not heat though.

Pack warm, they said it's regularly getting into the low 40s at night, but they expect it to be in the 70s during the day.
Bring good shoes. For those of you who recall, the Inn is situated at the base of The Hill of Doom. That means you're probably going to be going uphill to your cabin, or just about anywhere.

It's a farther out there, but it used to be the regular Seattle Event site, so consider that it's worth the drive.
~Matt

Oh, additionally, you may want to consider coming down 90 rather then 410.
410 is one of those windey, forest highways, and 90, well, isn't. Notice that if you google map it both ways, it's faster from 90 but shorter from 410? That's why. If you're coming from the south, it's all about 12 though.
I've done both, and I prefer the 90. There's also gas and things along 90, and 410 goes straight through Rainier Nat'l Forest, so there's really nothing on it.

A few comments:

1. Chinook and Cayuse passes are still closed. So either:

-take Hwy 90 east, then go south to Yakima -> Naches

or

-take I-5 south, take Hwy 12 east over White Pass, then loop around through Yakima -> Naches

or (from the south)

-take I-84 east, go north through Goldendale, turn left at Yakima -> Naches

The site itself is an *awesome* site IMHO - it was the first site I played at back in '96. One thing to be aware of though is that LARPing has had a rocky history there. Other LARPs (I won't name names) left the site a mess and LARPs in general were completely banned from Rogy for some time. We need to be extra sure to take good care of the camp and clean up REALLY WELL after ourselves.

Dave, do you have any word on how much it would be for a group to rent their own cabin and/or A-Frame on the other side of the creek? Also, there's 2 big buildings I know of (or at least there used to be!) - the 'tavern' (which doesn't sleep anyone, but has the major cooking facilities) and the lodge (which sleeps 20ish around the upper level and has a great fireplace). Do we have both?

-Bryan

No, just the Lodge. The big cooking facility isn't rented. Honestly, I've been to the site a number of times and have never actually been at a game that the big kitchen was used.
Since there isn't a map of the site anywhere that we could find, it'd be hard to know which cabins are where, since they all have names. There were a handful of cabins rented though, and since the lodge only sleeps 20, I presume that a fair number of them are going to be for PCs.

Oh man. Camp Rogie is the first site I ever played a weekend event at, nine years ago. The first gold pieces I ever earned was a commission to get some form of monsters to chase me into that lodge so that the Alchemist's Guild could rain death and destruction on them from above (anyone who doesn't know what I'm talking about, you'll see when ya get there).
What people said about the cabins, they do get chilly up there, so tapestries and warm bedding are a must. I also recommend, as Matt said, you pack lots of non-parishable food and/or bring a large cooler for the cabin to use. The cooler will also keep people from having to shlepp all the way down the Hill of Death to get to snacks, beverages, etc. I don't recall what the shower/bathrooms situation is, anyone else?

Attached is a very crude 3-minute drawing of what I remember the site layout to be. Dave, do we know which cabins are rented?

rogy.gif

(note that there are some cabins farther north - including the one used for monster camp by NERO NW when it ran)

Something to note about the weather. While it may be predicting fine weather, expect it to be anywhere in between breezy to gusty. Spring on the lee side of the cascades tends to see a LOT of air moving down over the mountains into the plateau.

Yeah that'd be a big factor for me, are the bathrooms those unholy holes in the ground that you can hear Satan laughing in every time you try to get the courage up to actually pee or poo in it? And are there showers or what?

Solomon Maxondaerth;19302 said:
Oh man. Camp Rogie is the first site I ever played a weekend event at, nine years ago. The first gold pieces I ever earned was a commission to get some form of monsters to chase me into that lodge so that the Alchemist's Guild could rain death and destruction on them from above (anyone who doesn't know what I'm talking about, you'll see when ya get there).
What people said about the cabins, they do get chilly up there, so tapestries and warm bedding are a must. I also recommend, as Matt said, you pack lots of non-parishable food and/or bring a large cooler for the cabin to use. The cooler will also keep people from having to shlepp all the way down the Hill of Death to get to snacks, beverages, etc. I don't recall what the shower/bathrooms situation is, anyone else?

Cerulean Jax;19311 said:
Yeah that'd be a big factor for me, are the bathrooms those unholy holes in the ground that you can hear Satan laughing in every time you try to get the courage up to actually pee or poo in it? And are there showers or what?

I don't remember if there's showers, but the bathrooms are reasonable modern ones if I recall.

-Bryan

There were showers there the last time I was there, but that was like 10 years ago. So things could have changed for the better or worse since then. They were in the back of the bathroom house next to the main lodge.

~Mark

Cerulean Jax;19311 said:

Thats got to be the best discription I have ever heard of for an outhouse!

Alavatar;19303 said:
Will Marc still be able to offer his normal meals? Or will it be a "fend for yourself or with others" type of weekend?

I do not believe that the kitchen at Rogy has the capasity to support industrial sized cooking. As I recall it's only slightly bigger than most home kitchens. This means I won't be providing food, and you will probably want to bring a cooler and food that doesn't need to be cooked.

What time can people be on site on friday? What time do we have to be off site by on sunday? Did we just get the main cabins by the tavern area, or did we get the A-frames on the other side of the river as well?

Back