Questions about race relations

Itaeo

Hi,

I remember reading in the rulebook that the races are all very distinct and separate- like a elf raised by humans is still an elf- still behaves like an elf, dresses like an elf.

What I was wondering IS adoption allowed? Like in your back-story if you had it that your character was adopted by another one of the Alliance races? For example- if a Gypsy family adopted a Wylderkin child/cub- is that allowed?

I know the wylderkin would still be a wylderkin and restricted by that races packet but is this even allowed for writing a character back story?

Thanks!

Per the rulebook: "You can tell everyone you’re “half elf/half gypsy” if you want, but in our game, you are one race or the other. You must then take all the advantages, disadvantages and physical characteristics of that single race and none of the unique characteristics of the other."

The way I think it's generally treated is that you can't mix races for the purposes of makeup/costume, racial abilities, or RP requirements; but you can write any background for your character as long as it doesn't circumvent these restrictions. So, if your character's parents are a Biata and a High Orc, and you were raised by Hoblings, you have to pick either Biata or High Orc, and take ALL of the racial makeup requirements, racial abilities, and RP requirements of only one of these. Being raised by a different race can't get a Biata around the racial restriction against Celestial magic, for instance.

Certain things in the race packets are considered cultural and some are assumed to be inherited. So the Biataorcbling would look like a regular Biata, have all the Biata racial pros and cons, and be allergic to Cel magic, but might believe in the importance of money and profit, since that's what his parents taught him. Whereas, a High Ogre raised by human necromancers might still have an innate hatred for the undead, and probably wouldn't have the best relationship with his parents.

...Of course, all of this might be at the discretion of your friendly local plot team. :)

Back