[.11] Questions about the packet

#1: "I evoke a Magic Storm! 10 Spell Magic! 10 Spell Magic!" etc. etc.
#2: No; the spell requires that the caster "... must choose any specific damaging effect from ..." at the time of casting, and may then throw packets for "... the chosen element...".
#3: No, you just throw more packets and start walking. Note that you must still "all other Concentration requirements", so you still cannot *run*, only *walk*.
#4; Correct, so long as you do not (a) break Concentration (for example cast a different spell); (b) become unable to use Game Skills (as that would break your Concentration); (c) get Dispelled. You could totally start an Augmented Storm on Friday night at Logistics and just walk around until it's time to chuck packets.

1. If you "Strike" an Evocation bolt of some sort, what is the verbal? "Spell Strike 40 Flame Bolt!"?
  2. How do Storm Spells interact with "Empowered Strike" and "Enhanced Strike" skills?
    1. Can Storm Augmentation be used on a Storm using "Empowered Strike" or "Enhanced Strike"?
  3. Are "Strike" swings that use Spells from memory, such as "Empowered Strike", "Enhanced Strike", "Combined Strike", and "United Blow" expired on a swing?
    1. If yes, if you miss may the expended Spells be Meditated back?
  4. Can Storms be used through Memory Strike? Do you get multiple swings of that Spell Strike in that case?
  5. If you use Memory Strike, is the effect burned on the swing it is activated (per Spellstrike in 1.3)?
  6. Can the Potency effect be used for Strike's that use spells from Memory? i.e. "Empowered Strike" and "Enhanced Strike"
    1. If yes, could Potency be used in conjunction with the Spellsword ability "Combined Strike"?

1. If you "Strike" an Evocation bolt of some sort, what is the verbal? "Spell Strike 40 Flame Bolt!"?
Attack verbals should always follow the same pattern, as explained in the "Effects and Deliveries" section:

<Number, if it has one> <qualifier> <Strike keyword, if it has one> <Effect>

Keeping in mind that when a number is given, the Weapon qualifier is always implied unless another qualifier is used, i.e. "2 Normal" omits the Weapon qualifier since a number is given.

So, all of the below are valid verbals:

Spell Corrupt
Weapon Strike Disarm Sword
20 Poison Doom

For your specific question, the verbal should be:

40 Spell Strike Flame

The Signature Spells, when not incanted as a spell, are manifested with their direct effect, i.e. "5 Spell Healing" or "20 Spell Ice" or whatever.

How do Storm Spells interact with "Empowered Strike" and "Enhanced Strike" skills?

The wording on Storm spells is very specific: "This effect allows the caster to throw...". This is specifically the caster, NOT the target. What this means is that a Storm spell, when used, only affects the caster no matter what, and grants them the ability to throw packets. It is thus entirely useless to channel through a weapon or throw against another target.

Think of it this way: Storm spells are now a "self power up" effect, and that's it.

Are "Strike" swings that use Spells from memory, such as "Empowered Strike", "Enhanced Strike", "Combined Strike", and "United Blow" expired on a swing? If yes, if you miss may the expended Spells be Meditated back?

Yes, they are all "single swing" attacks (though Combined and United allow multiple uses per day of the skill, the spell is still only in effect for a single swing). Regarding Meditation, note that Empowered and Enhanced Strike specifically talk about how Meditation works with them. Combined and United Strike would allow Meditation of the expended spell if it misses completely.

Can Storms be used through Memory Strike? Do you get multiple swings of that Spell Strike in that case?

See the Storm answer above.

If you use Memory Strike, is the effect burned on the swing it is activated (per Spellstrike in 1.3)?

Yes

Can the Potency effect be used for Strike's that use spells from Memory? i.e. "Empowered Strike" and "Enhanced Strike"

No, since you are not "casting" the spell, you are "expending" the spell in a different way.

Think of it this way: Casting a spell from memory generally requires using the spell incant (barring High Magic).

The wording on Storm spells is very specific: "This effect allows the caster to throw...". This is specifically the caster, NOT the target. What this means is that a Storm spell, when used, only affects the caster no matter what, and grants them the ability to throw packets. It is thus entirely useless to channel through a weapon or throw against another target.

Think of it this way: Storm spells are now a "self power up" effect, and that's it.
No, since you are not "casting" the spell, you are "expending" the spell in a different way.

Think of it this way: Casting a spell from memory generally requires using the spell incant (barring High Magic).

Given all of that ... does Potency affect Storm Spells (assuming you chose a valid element)?

Are the symbols chosen for higher manifestation recognizable for what they represent to others? If I have a healing/chaos glove can another player look at my hand and just know, or is another process or effect required?

Could I activate a Storm Augmented Storm on Saturday evening prior to Logistics, and have it carry over? I’m assuming that’s not the intent, and if not, “memorizing new spells” is probably something that should end Concentration effects.

Are "Strike" swings that use Spells from memory, such as "Empowered Strike", "Enhanced Strike", "Combined Strike", and "United Blow" expired on a swing? If yes, if you miss may the expended Spells be Meditated back?
Yes, they are all "single swing" attacks (though Combined and United allow multiple uses per day of the skill, the spell is still only in effect for a single swing). Regarding Meditation, note that Empowered and Enhanced Strike specifically talk about how Meditation works with them. Combined and United Strike would allow Meditation of the expended spell if it misses completely.

What about if using Warrior's Incantation on a weapon, If you miss can you meditate back the spell you used from memory?

How does one differentiate Life Leech from Rhino Hiding (Not taking one's hits)?

Are the symbols chosen for higher manifestation recognizable for what they represent to others? If I have a healing/chaos glove can another player look at my hand and just know, or is another process or effect required?

The symbols are specific to the character and need have no other innate meaning.

How does one differentiate Life Leech from Rhino Hiding (Not taking one's hits)?

The Alliance system is based on OOG honor and trustworthiness in most cases (whether someone actually crossed off a spell on their battleboard, whether they actually got the precast they just called ahead of time, etc.). In a case like this, I'd expect the interaction (if needed) to go something like:

"I tagged you X times for Y, did you take those?"
"Yup, got them all."

And that's it. If someone has a question beyond that, they should probably ask a Marshal to intervene.

-Bryan

The Alliance system is based on OOG honor and trustworthiness in most cases (whether someone actually crossed off a spell on their battleboard, whether they actually got the precast they just called ahead of time, etc.). In a case like this, I'd expect the interaction (if needed) to go something like:

"I tagged you X times for Y, did you take those?"
"Yup, got them all."

And that's it. If someone has a question beyond that, they should probably ask a Marshal to intervene.

-Bryan

Granted - I guess I'm just expecting a "Trust but Verify" scenario, and as the potential marshal, there's nothing here to be able to verify against. The lack of call here is unique in all of Alliance as far as I'm aware.

Traditionally, Necro healing effects are not visible in-game - the best example of this is Reverse Lifeforce, which allows a player to keep their evil necromancy healing "hidden" ("oh, that potion I drank? It was just a Cure Mort, definitely not a Cause Mort, no siree"). This continues that existing paradigm, and is not intended to add a new "hidden healing" mechanic that doesn't already have a precedent.

Sure, the fact that the effect is necromantic isn't visible, but the healing itself is.

Yeah, generally I'd expect to hear 'Got all of that, appears to heal me' or at least 'got it all, reduced'.

For Riposting Strike, can only a single skill be used in retaliation without being expended?

ie: I use a parry and respond with a Magisterium Blow and a Slay for my reposting strike. Is only one of those considered unexpended?

The ARB does not require a call for anything that isn’t “No effect,” including healing. While many chapters have LCO calls for such things, such a rule doesn’t exist at the ARB level.

That being said, I object to there being an ability that has no visual effect like all other abilities in the game, which we represent with a verbal call. It’s a thematic exception that seems to exist purely to make Necromancy more “worth it.” I appreciate the intent, but I dislike the execution.

Back