Questions from a future/new player

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

So a few of my friends and I are interested in coming to your September event (we would be at the august event coming right up, but we just won’t have our acts together in time). I’ve read the alliance rulebook and your chapter’s Traveler’s guide, and we’re all old hat at at LARPing, but we still have some questions particular to your events that I was hoping you could help clear up.

1. Where in your game world does your game take place. The traveler’s guide describes an entire continent of activity, but doesn’t go into local detail about any one place (that’s kind of what I had thought it would do, right?). Is there a single town that the game focuses on, or does the action move around the world, or what? Is there any particular reason a small army of adventurers descend on this location once a month every summer?

2. What food (if any) is included in the cost of the weekend? Is there a breakfast/diner/lunch time? What about snacks, drinks, etc? We’re fine with bringing our own, but it’s rather clear there is a “tavern” location, how does that work? Are foods and things sold in the tavern for dollars or in-game cash?

3. Many camps these days are disallowing camp fires, what’s your location's stance? Also, candles, tea lights, tiki-torches, etc? If fire is (very reasonably) off the table what are people using as in-game lights (beyond “magical” ones)? What kind of lanterns are recommended?

4. What is the spellbook economy like? Are most spells readily available from a central authority (a mage's guild, per se)? Are these things scholars freely trade with each other for the betterment of the whole, or are spellbooks closely guarded secrets? If copying spells into your book is something people tend to expect payment for, what’s a reasonable in-game cost? Do you start with any spells in your book?

5. Are there a prevalence of “teacher” characters in the game? Is it easy to find someone to teach you new skills, or will you wait a few events sitting on build points looking for the person that can teach you THAT THING YOU NEED? Is there a social obligation in the game for players to teach each other, or is this more of an NPC PC interaction?

6. Backgrounds. Some games require these, some don’t, and some have you write them up as an almost token gesture. I get the impression from the rules that these are a pretty fundamental part of your game (and that’s cool). Is this something that is very strongly advised for your first event or can you turn one in after a few events, once you’ve “felt out” the character you’re playing. I’ve seen games take many different stances on this, and I’m interested in what’s your best practices.

7. How does one buy an in game lock? It doesn’t appear to be mentioned under the “blacksmithing” skill, so who makes them? Is this something PC’s can even own? If it is, where’s a good place to out-of-game purchase a suitable model?

8. What sort of starting gear does a player begin with? I would imagine showing up with a truck load of weapons isn’t kosher but I would doubt you come into the world shoeless and naked. What’s a reasonable expectation for gear to bring?

Quite looking forward to the game. I’m already excited. Thanks for taking the time to answer this bevy of newbie questions.

ok lets see what I can answer for you here...

1) Location Town of Kupsar

2) There is Breakfeast on Sat and Sun mornings as well as Dinner on Sat nite...Late nite, i.e generally after Midnight there might be someone cooking burgers and hotdogs in the tavern.

3) No open flames in buildings as far as I know...there are firepits..they have been used...

4) Starting Spells are explaned in the rule book, but depending on how many spell slots per level you have determines the number of starting spells you have in your spell book... i.e if you came in to game with 3 spell slots for 1st level spells, 2 spell slots for 2nd Level spells and 1 spell slot for 3rd level spells your spell book would have in it 3 spell of 1st level, 2 spells of 2nd and 1 spell of 3rd. You can buy new spells to put into your spellbook at the "Mages Guild" it does cost ingame money for the "magic ink" used to scribe the spells into the book.

5) You will find someone to teach you different things..be it an NPC or PC with the teacher skill..some skills you might have to wait to learn depending on the skill..

6) As far as I know you can submit a character history whenever you want, but the sooner you do the sooner Plot may or may not bring your background into game...

7) Not sure on how to get one in-game, but I know you have to show them that it can be picked, note they do "locks" different in this game as its illegal to own lock-picks...

8) Again this is in the Rule Book, but depending on what your playing, you get a suit of armor (if you have a suit of armor to wear), 1 weapon tag per weapon skill, 2 if you have Florintine and/or 2 weapons, this also means if you have Archery you get a bow tag and a set of 20 arrow tag, Shield tag if you have the skill Shield, Spell book with spells if you have the skills to cast spells, or a Recipe book for Alchemy if you have alchemy and 12 copper....so you get basic equipment and a little spending cash.. :)

and mind you if you wanted to u could NPC this upcoming event...get a feel for the game and rules and get a little extra gobbies so you can start a little higher than base 1st level...

Matt K.

MKing said:
and mind you if you wanted to u could NPC this upcoming event...get a feel for the game and rules and get a little extra gobbies so you can start a little higher than base 1st level...

Matt K.

Highly recommend as it makes you level 2 after npcing your first event and gives you goblin stamps which can be used to gain more xp on your characters or save up for special items or rewards. Plus all you need is black tee shirt and pants. This will let you get to see the world and characters before you put your characters together and might give you background ideas. (i.e. Current events and such)

I highly recommend coming to the August event to NPC if you plan on PCing in September. It costs just $5 for the whole weekend to NPC if you do not have a membership. All of your questions can be answered before you come into game this way as well. You will also get a chance to see what other players are wearing and using, you will get a chance to try a variety of weapon styles as an NPC to allow you to see which you like best before spending build on one as a PC and deciding you don't like it. You will also receive, as Trel Jarina said, free experience points, a magic item pick and goblin stamps (an out of game currency used to buy various things). All things that will allow your characters to come into game that much more prepared. The magic item pick alone is worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back