Questions on announced effects

"I call upon the power of Dell to Obliterate you, activate Obliterate." - this is a spell packet delivered obliterate and you may use any viable defense against such to avoid it. Dodge, resist magic, reflect magic and any other valid spell packet defenses will work.

So this is basically like dragon magic, in that it is not Arcane and all spell defenses work against it? What spell category does it fall under for the matters of cloaks/banes?

"I call upon the power of Del to consume your soul!" Removes the spirit from the body effected and acts as an arcane destroy formal magic (Celestial and Earth, target spirit of the victim). Must be touching the victim to be performed, this is a 6 minute count ability.

Does this act exactly as the ritual, as in can the person refuse the ritual and choose to die instead to avoid the affects of it? Can it be refused solely on the basis that it is touch cast and all touch cast effects must be either accepted or refused by the person being touched? If it cannot be refused, can it be dodged/resisted/cloaked/baned?

Also, cannot use the word soul in Nero. Hate to be a bugger about it, but that's the way it is (in Fortanis games anyway). By remove the spirit, do you mean the person goes to resurrect or the soul is "looted"? or FOIG? Trying to clarify so we don't run into problems at/during/after the event.

Might want to change what you're calling on the power of. I foresee lots of dropping OOG with bad jokes:

"I call upon the power of Dell to...."
"Stop! IRQL not less or equal!"
"No wait, that's Dave's daughter! Pagefault in nonpaged area!"

"Dude, you got a Dell?"

On the 360-counted action, can it be interrupted? Does the enactor have to be touching the whole time? Does it work through a Prison? What happens if I Recall in the middle of your incant?

And all of Jeff's questions...

Also, would have been nice to let the marshals know about this so we can provide answers. :)

Complete with creepy witch voice from Evil Dead 2...

"I'll SWALLOW your SOUL!" :p

Sarah said:
Complete with creepy witch voice from Evil Dead 2...

"I'll SWALLOW your SOUL!" :p

Ahh but that one has an instant defense! "Swallow this *BOOM*!"

Dave talked to me about this beforehand - sorry, I should have posted it on the Marshal's board at that time.

Here's what I would put forth for answers (Dave needs to yay or nay or clarify all of these for reference, it's his local plot effect after all):

Yes, this "counts as" Dragon Magic with a different verbal. You may use any defense you would use against a normal battle magic spell packet to stop it. There is no Cloak or Bane which will stop this ability (Dave might allow Necromancy, based on our conversation I am assuming there's no way to cloak or bane it). You can use any valid defenses depending on your current status - in other words if you're Paralyzed, you can't Dodge it (but you could Resist it). If you're unconscious, you can't Resist it, but a Spell Shield will still work.

The 6-minute count is a standard interruptable count. In other words:

- Must be touching the target the whole time
- May be interrupted by any action which would normally interrupt a counted action (for instance anything which would stop a Killing Blow would stop this action). Just like with a Killing Blow, the target must be incapacitated or unable to move (or voluntarily submit, which seems doubtful!); a Recall would interrupt the count.
- Would not work through a Prison as it requires touching the target.

Obliterate rituals may not be refused, which answers one of Jeff's questions :)

It is not a touchcast spell, thus it may not be refused. It is a touchcast effect (again, the analog I would use is a Killing Blow).

Obviously, if Dave or his NPC attempts to use this on a target which is still moving and unwilling, they're being an unsafe git and need to stop. This is intended to be used on incapacitated or unconscious targets.

Can it be refused by means of resurrection, as per the ritual? As in, the only two rituals that cannot be avoided this way are Obliterate and Divestiture, so if someone is incapacitated and the six minute touchcast is being performed, can the person "Choose to rez" in order not to take the effect?

Looks like I was editing my message as you were typing Jeff - see if the edits answer your questions :)

Polare Lissenstine said:
Looks like I was editing my message as you were typing Jeff - see if the edits answer your questions :)

The Obliterate isn't what's being asked about here, Bryan.

"...acts as an arcane destroy formal magic (Celestial and Earth, target spirit of the victim)."

This is what's being asked about. DM is resistable by choosing to resurrect. What is being asked is if this effect above is still resistable in the regular manner.

As to the obliterate, no it may not be cloaked or baned unless someone has some wonky "cloak/bane formal magic" or "cloak/bane Del magic" effect. All other defenses work as Bryan described.

As to the Swallow your spirit (hey, Bryan said nothing about the word "soul." Head of rules said I could! :p ), Bryan, there was a caselast game where a hostile target was unable to choose to ressurect to resist the ritual (destroy formal). Barring that being the case, then yes it may be resisted by ressurecting. I just want to be sure we fairly use the rules for PC's and NPC's alike. As to the disposition of your soul, FOIG.

As to the use of "Del?" Del's been in game for quite some time. I am surprised these jokes haven't come up before... I know I made them in my head every time I heard it - and a couple of times out loud.

That was an error due to the fact that the rulebook (which was consulted) states that Destroy Magic cannot be refused by death, but the addendum (which was not to be found in monster camp at the time) states that Destroy Magic can be avoided by resurrection. I even brought it up at the time, stating I was fairly sure both IG and OOG that the only two rituals that were unavoidable were the Obliterate and Divestiture, but the Head of Rules consulted the rulebook and ruled on the spot that this was not the case, therefore that was the ruling on the spot. I looked it up after the event and notified Head of Rules about this, to ensure that it didn't happen incorrectly again.

BTW, not meaning in any way to be crapping on these things or trying to be difficult. I like local flavor and look forward to seeing it! I'm just trying to make sure they get implemented as smoothly as possible and reduce instances like the one you were talking about, Dave, so we get as few adjudications and re-do's and oopsies as possible.

I really think the use of the word 'soul' should be re-thought though. In the same way that we're not allowed to use any religious icons such as crosses or ankhs or the like, the word soul is intricately bound into religious overtones. Might I suggest "Essence" as a replacement since it's affecting both the spirit of the target and the ritual magics upon them as well, thus a more all-encompassing and neutral word?

Sorry about the confusion - I was getting the two effects mixed up. After conferring with Dave, we will go with the Destroy Magic being refusable (with the usual penalty of 'go resurrect' to go along with the other 'having your spirit removed' effect!) as per a normal Destroy Magic effect.

I'll let him answer the 'soul' usage, although I gotta say 'Essence' sounds good to me :)

-Bryan

Unless it says somewhere else, it states under formal magics that destroy magic can not be refused, its on page 100 of the rule book. If I am wrong please let me know.

Renner said:
Unless it says somewhere else, it states under formal magics that destroy magic can not be refused, its on page 100 of the rule book. If I am wrong please let me know.

Shane, it's in the Addendum text (and hidden somewhat to boot):

100: Under “Recipient Characters” (Second paragraph), the last sentence is amended to read: “If the individual dies, some Rituals may expire upon Resurrection.”

The Last paragraph is amended to read: “A recipient of a ritual cannot choose to die in order to avoid the affects of a Banish to Other Plane, Obliteration or Divestiture Ritual.”

Monster Camp did *not* have an addendum last event, thus we went with what was in the rulebook. After the event it was brought up that the Addendum had the above change made. I mentioned it to Dave when I found out. To be honest if it had happened to a PC it would probably have been grounds for adjudication - fortunately, it was an NPC/plot thing so it's easier to deal with :)

-Bryan

Polare Lissenstine said:
100: Under “Recipient Characters” (Second paragraph), the last sentence is amended to read: “If the individual dies, some Rituals may expire upon Resurrection.”

The Last paragraph is amended to read: “A recipient of a ritual cannot choose to die in order to avoid the affects of a Banish to Other Plane, Obliteration or Divestiture Ritual.”

Monster Camp did *not* have an addendum last event, thus we went with what was in the rulebook. After the event it was brought up that the Addendum had the above change made. I mentioned it to Dave when I found out. To be honest if it had happened to a PC it would probably have been grounds for adjudication - fortunately, it was an NPC/plot thing so it's easier to deal with :)

-Bryan

Can someone choose to die/resurrect in order to avoid the effects of a packet delivered ritual effect? (Packet delivered as in Dragon Magic, Shadow Magic, Del Magic, Activated Ritual Effect, Arcane Ritual Effect, etc)

jpariury said:
Yes, except the three cited in the Addendum.

And just as an FYI to anyone trying to weed through it all, those three are:

~Banish to Other Plane
~Obliterate
~Divestiture

Back