quick question about bows/archery

LeonMaes

Artisan
if you take the rogue class and your main weapon is archery what type of fighting skills can you use?
how much damage is the bow if you only buy one skill in it?
also every time you buy it again damage goes up by 1 right?

what all can evaluate item be used for?

You can, to my knowledge, use any fighting skill you want except assassinate, I think.

You can only buy one skill "archery" for six build (depending on your race, elf rogue is three build). If you want to buy backstabs, then you can up your damage from behind, or you can buy weapon profs for anywhere.

Evaluate item is going to be gone, I think, with the new rule book coming out. For now, though, you can pick up an item and go to a marshall and say "Hey, what's this worth?"

Backstab damage does not add to ranged damage at all right now, but I've heard through the rumor mill that there is a pending rule for them to add +1 to ranged weapons just like profs while still adding +2 from behind with melee attacks, but I don't know if that is going to pass for sure or not. Archery lets you shoot base 3 damage arrows, but if you go rogue you can take Alchemy and put weapon coatings on your arrows to either increase their damage or add a carrier to them, like Sleep or Nausea, and if the arrow does damage to their body and not just armor, they get poisoned.

If you are wanting to make a stealth archer-type, I would highly recommend looking at Scout class. If you take Weapon Proficiencies they add +1 to both archery and melee damage, and if the rule for Backstabs goes through, then you'd also be able to buy those to add +1 to your bow attacks, and be able to buy rogue skills such as Evade and Dodge, which take Backstabs as a pre-requisite.

If you've got a specific character-build type or at least skill set type that you want to try and make, you can also PM me here and I can give you some insite into which classes can make the most sense for your build costs to make it happen.

thanks for the thaughts and info but let me put it this way im a big guy thats not going to be stealthing around... ever and what im looking to do is get arrow damage to a decent amount and get alchemy up so i can "rain down a hellfire of packets" the group im with now has a stealthy rogue a fighter who is just as good at stealth (what can i say they are twins) and a healer with waylay. casting rely isnt for me but i like the idea of bows and alchemy on a side note from what ive seen there are only 2 other main archers time i went (this will be my second character IE the free one you get after youve gone to a larp event once)

thats basically what im looking for if you think there is a better class for that mention if and ill look at it but rogue seems to be slightly more combat driven then artisan

I believe he was suggesting scout, not artisan, and scouts get alchemy for a little bit cheaper than fighters. Honestly though if you don't plan on moving around fast behind people you'll be frustrated being a rouge I think. Go scout because then you can get either your choice of backstabs and weapon profs, and you aren't counting on a new rule that "might" pass.

Hell, go fighter. Fighter archers own.
If you wont be using the 'from behind' part of the attacks, you'll do more damage with fewer expended skill points as a fighter.

that sounds good but then the points in alchemy are doubled and the idea is to balance between the 2
fighter sounds good though and ill have more health
i forgot to mention this before but my char is a MWE and i don't think they can be fighters but i don't exactly remember what they are limited to

MWE certainly can be fighters.

And the thing is that if you are only going to get enough alchemy that you can coat or weapons/arrows. Or throw gass globes its still fine to be a fighter. Because once you get to be even slightly high level that extra cost with be smaller relative to your total build.

Also, having lots of body is nice too. ;)

That is correct. MWEs have no restrictions on class. The only race with a restriction on class is Hoblings, who can't be fighters.

Look around. There is a tread somewhere that talkes about build and has a build calculator Excel file. On it is something great. it has what the build would be if you were another class. I used it to find out that if i wanted to swing high damage but still be able to use scolls that while its more expensive early on, by the time i'm 7th level or a "Broken" fighter with R&R and Read magic with one celestial spell is cheaper later on because templars pay more for weapon skills, and profs, and slays...etc. So. If you're not looking to use a melee weapon from behind, and you don't want any of the specific rogue skills its better to be a fighter who knows alchemy. It will be cheaper in the long run, and that 's where we want our characters to be awesome.

Unless you also want dodges.

Then you should go rogue.

thanks guys i just looked at it and did the math myself fighter is the better way to go

tieran said:
Unless you also want dodges.

Then you should go rogue.

Or Adept :D

so are they the only ones that can use dodge or can every class use every skill and some skills are just easier to learn?

Every class can buy any skill (that isn't racial or resticted by race) just for some its costs are more (or less for some races).

It's the pre-requisites that will kill you. For a fighter to learn Dodge, the fighter has to purchase 2 backstab sets first (a total of 60 build) before being allowed to spend 8 build on a Dodge. If you want skills from another class, play that class, or play one of the hybrid classes.

Right, which is why generally speaking you stick to the skills that your class is "good" at learning. Like fighters take mostly weapon proficiencys, rogues learn backstabs, scholars learn spells exe exe. You can diversify to some exstent but not too much if you want to keep your character somewhat effective for their level.

The argument here though is that for certain one time or limited buys, it will be cheaper to pay more as one class (even if another gets it cheaper) so that you can buy the skills you will be using the most at the cheapest rates.

Back