Quick question: American Wire Gauge, or Standard?

GunFodder

I'm ordering chainmail rings from theringlord.com, and it has rings listed in both American Wire Gauge and Standard Wire Gauge. One is always thicker, and knowing the difference might save me a bundle of money. Just need to know which standard the armor requirements adhere to. Thanks.

Ah, so the rulebook is referring to American standard, then? I should have explained better in my original post, but I was typing on my phone last night.

The site for chainmail rings lists both Standard and American gauges, and I would like to use the 14 gauge, 5/8" inner diameter necessary to achieve a 3 point armor rating. According to their website, however, 14 Standard Wire Gauge = 12 American Wire Gauge.

Also, the 14 gauge Standard (12 gauge American) comes in 5/8" inner diameter, but the 14 gauge American (16 gauge Standard) has a maximum inner diameter of 7/16'' .

I thought that American Wire Gauge was used in both America and Canada, but theringlord.com, a Canadian business, primarily lists their rings in Standard, with a conversion to American for each entry.

I guess I'll just go with 14 Gauge Standard. I've bought rings from this site several years ago, and I don't recall them showing two different gauges before. Just thought that I'd double check before dropping over a hundred dollars and 20-30 hours of weaving time. Thanks!

So, I've been keeping this compilation of rulings made by the ARC when they have an impact on game play and I was just going through it today to make sure it's up to date...

3 Point Chainmail Rings
It looks like most stores usually carry US Standard Wire Gauge, but there are some manufacturers that still go by AWG (American Standard Gauge). A 14 gauge wire is almost identical in the two systems:

14 gauge SWG 0.06408
14 gauge AWG 0.0641

14 gauge in either system is acceptable; use whichever is most convenient for the manufacturer you're ordering from.

The "can vary depending on gauge" means that there's some leeway for the Rules Marshal to decide based on especially thick wire. If you're using wire that is 1/2" thick, you can probably get by with bigger than a 5/8" inner diameter! I wouldn't expect this to kick in until you're substantially thicker than 14 gauge, and as always what one chapter decides goes under this rule might not be quite the same with another chapter.

There you go, from the ARC. Enjoy!

Cool, thanks a lot. I went ahead and ordered what the website referred to as 14 gauge Standard, 12 gauge American. I don't know why "The Ring Lord" figures their gauges differently, but I appreciate the clarification.

Inaryn said:
So, I've been keeping this compilation of rulings made by the ARC when they have an impact on game play and I was just going through it today to make sure it's up to date...

3 Point Chainmail Rings
It looks like most stores usually carry US Standard Wire Gauge, but there are some manufacturers that still go by AWG (American Standard Gauge). A 14 gauge wire is almost identical in the two systems:

14 gauge SWG 0.06408
14 gauge AWG 0.0641

14 gauge in either system is acceptable; use whichever is most convenient for the manufacturer you're ordering from.

The "can vary depending on gauge" means that there's some leeway for the Rules Marshal to decide based on especially thick wire. If you're using wire that is 1/2" thick, you can probably get by with bigger than a 5/8" inner diameter! I wouldn't expect this to kick in until you're substantially thicker than 14 gauge, and as always what one chapter decides goes under this rule might not be quite the same with another chapter.

There you go, from the ARC. Enjoy!
Where did the ARC get these numbers from? I cannot find anything close to that for SWG anywhere.
http://www.bulkwire.com/wiregauge.asp
http://www.reade.com/Conversion/wire_gauge.html
http://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/units/scales/wiregauge.html
14 gauge SMG is 0.08 in
AWG is 0.0641 in

Back