Quick question...

Thankye much Jim!

...Thato? Like That-oh? Have I been pronouncing it wrong this whole time?

Ive yet to hear it any way aside from Tay-toe (in and out of game), and im rather sure that pronounciation came from those in the know..

Curse those Greeks and their inability to pronouce things like normal people!

Just out of curiosity, is there a list anywhere with the spellings of all of the fea names? It'd be really helpful for game write-ups and IG journals & such.

Understanding Fae naming tradition

Ellie al'Basteua said:
Just out of curiosity, is there a list anywhere with the spellings of all of the fea names? It'd be really helpful for game write-ups and IG journals & such.

Yes, it's called the Silmarillion... or A midsummer night's dream.

Almost every Fae name is "recycled" from Tolkien, Shakespeare, or human linguistics and myth. (keep in mind, I have no issue with that, despite those quotation marks around the word recycled)

Most of the names are just extensions of a latin or greek root, for example:

Sangua, Fae mistress of Blood, rooted in the word Sanguine (Blood, Bloody), daughter of Vita, life Fae (Vital, Vitality) and, Thato (Thought, though I can't remember the root.)

Usually these are the Fae who have very specialized titles, spheres of influence, and resonsibilities. They're also usually second or third Generation Fae.

Others, like Pauc (Puck, AKA Robin Goodfellow), or Auberon (Oberon, King of Shadows), are from myth and/or fiction; They usually have broader scopes of influence, and are of "lower generation" (I can't believe I just typed that) so they have a lot of power, it is just wild and diffuse.

But, how would your character suddenly know how to spell the name of a fae you've enever met? I can understand Game write-ups, because those are OOG documents... but IG journals aren't based on knowledge gained in an OOG fashion.

There is then the argument of Fae brain-cramming... but that's got to hurt.

Always helpful, except in emergencies;
-Gideon

Back