race change ritual

Status
Not open for further replies.

deoman

Artisan
I seem to recall that a character with a skill, say an elf that uses a polearm, getting race changed to a race that cannot use said skill, say a dwarf, gets to respend that build, but I can find no such thing in the rule book. Could anyone tell me what exactly happens in a situation like this?

The race change only allows a respend of the build you have in racial skills, like Claws, or Resist Command. Those become free build, and can be respent as such. If something about your character card is forbidden by the racial requirements, the race change will fail. If the skill is on your card with a zero on it (aka, you've been taught it in game but haven't spent the build yet), it does not restrict you.

As an example, my primary cannot become sarr or hobling because the skill "Staff" is purchased on the character card for her. I would have to get a Spirit Forge first to remove that skill, then have the Racial Transformation cast.

If you get ritually assaulted, when the caster begins the ritual and the marshal calls the hold, show them your card so they can roll the die for the backlash. If you are hit with a dragon magic race change, find a marshal (hopefully there's one present for something like that!) and show them your card to prove that the race change doesn't stick. I'd imagine you'd call "No effect" when hit with the packet.

Upvote 0
Per the scroll:
"Any racial skills of the target’s current race are lost but skills specific to the new race may be gained in their place depending on the inner strength of the spirit. In addition the target loses any skills that are more difficult to learn. The transforming player may relearn any skills lost due to the Racial Transformation ritual if the new race may learn them.
If the Race being transformed to cannot be the class of the target, or cannot have any skills they possess the Racial Transformation immediately fails."

So there you go, pretty much what Phedre said. :yes:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back