Race Change...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MathGwyson

Artisan
I'm considering having Math change his race with a Racial Transform (current top candidates are 'Dryad' and 'Owl-kin') but a few things I want to be sure of;

'cannot use Two-Handed blunt' does not include staff, correct? (Some races say 'cannot use two-handed blunt.. cannot use staff' which would be redundant, so I presume if it does not say 'cannot use staff' then I don't lose my staff - hobling would have been my top choice due to my background, but then I lose my staff, and I just started getting comfortable with certain aspects of fighting with it.)

The description says that -kin have double cost for read-right because they don't have an educated background. Math's background doesn't change with this ritual, so therefore DID have an educated background. I presume I still pay double for read-write despite this?

Racial transform changes the race mechanically, so it doesn't effect the background of the character, but none of the 'racial traits' are reliant on background, even if they say they are (they shouldn't say that) because they're all ingrained racially, regardless of where the character grew up. That said, your race determines your build costs, so if you pay double for Read and Write according to your race, you pay double, regardless of your background.

Two Handed Blunt is a skill. You may not purchase the skill Two Handed Blunt as some races. The "Weapons" section on p.82 lists the construction requirements for things that fall under the Two Handed Blunt skill separately from Staffs, so one doesn't include the other. A Staff is a separate object, even though it is both two-handed and blunt.

Keep in mind that you'll likely be required to wear a beak prosthetic as an Owl-Kin, that's the only way I've ever heard of a bird-kin being approved (otherwise they risk confusion as a biata is the argument).

Edit to add cred:
Matt,
Seattle, Oregon Marshal

Upvote 0
Side Note:

Make sure you have the free build available to pay any increased build costs when the ritual is cast. Any build you have in current racial skills is refunded back as free build so it might not be an issue.

-toddo
HQ Marshal

Upvote 0
Also keep in mind that the race change ritual doesn't grant you even a partial spirit forge on skills like "Staff." The only build that frees up is racial build like Resist Command and Racial Slay.

If you had Archery purchased and wanted to become a Sarr, you'd have to Spirit Forge first to lose the skill, and then do the race change. (Same for Read Magic and Biata, or any Edged weapon skill and Dryads.)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back