Racial Packet Art...

Vhossek

This is the first view of my drawing for the Dark Elf racial packet a local chapter is having me do. I plan on painting over this drawing but it should stay essentially the same. I will post more as this progresses. This is roughly 34" by 35" Sorry about the poor quality I took this with my cell phone

DarkElf2.jpg

DarkElf1.jpg

female armor: less armor = more points

There are bits of chain mail and a half cape too =) I totally understand what you mean though. I plan on doing other races as well but for the Dark Elves in particular this was a conscious decision. When I think of Dark Elves I really think of a jagged abrasiveness, a certain fierce discomfort feel to them. Every aspect is power and danger. They stand 2 inches inside your comfort zone, tell you to your face you are being ignorant.

For this particular piece I wanted the female to exude power so I put her at a higher point with the male kneeling to enhance that. Even though they are not all complete yet, all her armor is razor like, her multi-headed flail and the boot knives and jagged banded jewelry and poisons I plan to add, even the spiked rock formations all scream power that boarders on sinister. The rest of the clothing or lack there of was a choice to balance out all those previous things. Beauty and danger/power combined. Also the reason I put her in a aggressive challenging pose as apposed to a pin up style pose. You get the picture. Thanks for the feedback though.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I get the whole concept quite well. Same thing could be accomplished though with a knee length romanesque leather strapped skirt with sawteeth down the center. But I'm not the artist, just a critic. And a critic is someone who can't but decides to tell others how to :)

Hrm. Underdressed female with a flail, and a dual-wielding curved sword guy in front of her.

Love your art abilities, but isn't a bit R.A. Salvatore?

Well I am a fan of the Matriarchal Dark Elf society and he is the go to guy as far as literature goes. There is also a touch of Samurai of feudal Japan in there so the swords will actually be a Katana and Wakizashi.

I love it. I think it looks really awesome! Can't wait to see it when it's done! :D

You are correct sir. In part anyway. The figures in fantasy comics and illustrations often have elongated or exaggerated features compared to the every day human being. Different measurements are often used when drawing from life or photo realistic than those for dynamic illustrations. Also the with the worms eye view or looking up on the figure some of those features will also be exaggerated from that. Good eye.

I think she would be more intimidating with some nice double Fs.....or maybe some Gs.

By the way...do you still have the HoG original that you made way back??? I would love a copy of that digitally.

My only issue is that she's wielding a weapon that cannot be made/used legally.

Yah, that was more or less a conceptual choice. Mainly it is just there to guide the eye back through the piece. something that would be difficult to do properly with other types of weapons without also changing the stance of the figures. I was actually thinking of making the chain a glowing transparent spectral chain and have it fade into solidity at the flail heads. Although if this would give that nice fantasy feel to the image, if the powers that be wish for a more exact representation I could try other options that would have the same effect. If all else fails I could go with a severed head with long hair without having to much else at all.

Back