Racial Transform and Skills pt 2;

Status
Not open for further replies.

MathGwyson

Artisan
An add-on to this questions: viewtopic.php?f=215&t=14713

I understand that I lose racial skills when I racial transform - but what if the new race also has the same skill. EG: Biata to Elf, both have Resist Command. Does that also apply to -kin if they choose the same skill for their package? (I plan to keep 'Resist Command' if I got Owl-Kin - it's also one of the ones that Owl-Kin are suggested to have in the book.)

I understand from the book that I lose skills that are more difficult to learn (Such as Read and Write if I go Owl Kin). If I have enough Build Points, can I keep that skill? If not, do I lose access to all the skills that use it as a pre-req? IE am I unable to use my Alchemy skill until after the event when I can re-purchase Read and Write?

This is all 'future thought' since I don't even have the ritual yet, but I'm the type that like to have some degree of certainty of the result before I start a course of action, or I get a bit of anxiety over it :)

Thanks.

After Racial Transformation resolves on you you lose your racial skills; if you go from Biata to Elf you can buy them back, but you must get an updated character card from logistics before you can use any new skills, even if they're not actually new.

If you go from Biata to Owlkin you will need enough free build to cover the increased cost of Read/Write, assuming you have that skill. My recollection is that not having enough build will cause the ritual to fail, which I support with this text:
If the Race being transformed to cannot be the class of the target, or cannot have any skills they possess the Racial Transformation immediately fails.
While the listed example is having Two-Handed Sword invalidates a transform to Dwarf, since the scroll does not address the issue of increased build cost that cannot be covered, I would rule as I have indicated.

Since the scroll itself does not resolve the issue, this could be submitted to ARC for an official ruling. After looking I found now such clarification.

Upvote 0
I thought I read somewhere that skills that cost double were lost, but I must have been mistaken. Looking back at the other thread I see that toddo had actually answered that portion of the question;
toddo said:
Make sure you have the free build available to pay any increased build costs when the ritual is cast. Any build you have in current racial skills is refunded back as free build so it might not be an issue.

So basically it seems that my Resist Command would be refunded and if I didn't already have enough BP the BP from Resist Command could pay for Read and Write, and then I would have to re-purchase Resist Command when I spend my BPs after the event.

Does that seem correct or should I check with ARC?

Upvote 0
The instant your Racial Transform Ritual is cast you probably need to check with Logistics, or at least have someone sign off on it who will make sure the Character Database gets updated. You should be able to keep any skills (including racials) that both of your races had. It'll come down to how your logistics team wants to deal with it, really. Personally, I'd let someone buy their new racials on the spot if they had the build to do it, and print them a new card (I wouldn't let them spend build on anything else, though). Some chapters might just hand write your new race on your card and alert Logistics, and not let you spend any of your newly freed build.
~Matt,
SEA/OR Marshal (But also HoP and GM, which is why I'd print them a card; your average marshal won't be able to make that call)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back