Random questions for plot

Gulielmos

So after this last event I got to thinking about so plot questions I had but never got down to ask.

Biggest one right now is since we are at war and my character can build siege weapons.

Can they be used in game and how would they work? Would they work like traps and thus require trap smith?

I ask because I was thinking about possibly setting some up next Seattle event.

The short answer is no. The longer answer is as follows.

There are no set rules in Alliance for siege engines. They are done on a chapter by chapter basis, but they must always follow the primary rule of all weapons in Alliance: Safety.
Making something that can fire a projectile far enough, with a projectile that is safe enough, with equipment that is combat safe, and is portable enough to take to game, is no easy matter and as far as I know hasn't been done successfully. If you're crafty enough to make something like that though, we here at the plot team would be very interested, and we're always willing to work with players.

Challenge accepted good sir. How far is far enough? Last one i built with wood could toss a tennis ball around 200 ft.

So something portable and combat safe. I got an idea will have to go look at things now but my guess would be build the frame like you would a boffer.

A tennis ball is one thing. Remember that this siege engine would need to have projectiles that follow the thrown weapon guidelines and they fly.... interestingly. Additionally, it would have to be safe enough that if someone accidentally stepped in front of the launch mechanism and was hit full in the face they'd be okay. Even then, many different parts of staff would have to talk about it at length, general manager, plot, and Head of Rules just to start.

If you want to be up to the challenge, I'm all for it. I just want you to know the kind of hill you're looking to climb before you put lots of effort into something that may not be really usable.

Absolutely, and you'd be in a long line of people who have thought about it, including yours truly! XD

You might want to get with JP: http://alliancelarp.com/forum/members/jpariury.116/ as this was a long running pet project for him as well. Maybe you have a new way of doing it he hasn't thought of, or he can give you pointers. I'm looking forward to what you dream up though!

You can also search these forums, there are plenty of references to siege engines and, I believe, even some rough (very rough!) schematics.

Oh trust me none of you want to deal with all the ways I have thought of to cause PC havoc but more on that in downtime.

Let's just say its along the lines of dwarven sticky bombs and satchel charges. On that note thanks Plot for helping solidify the idea behind what my guy has been doing for the last year.

Back