Range Weapons (xbows) rule clarification?

This is mostly intended for Trace, Zac and Jessie, I suppose, but I figured I'd throw it on here since I've had this discussion with the other archers and no one is quite clear on it.

It doesn't appear that there is a minimum/maximum length on the limb (bow part) for a crossbow - is this the case? As per: http://alliancelarp.com/forum/threads/weapon-construction-guidelines-change.14871/ a light crossbow must be between 14"-25" and a heavy crossbow is 25"-32" in length. Given this, lets say a pistol crossbow phys rep (which would have to be wielded with two hands, I know) could be 14" long and have just a proportionate limb or is the length dimension supposed to be considered a "2-dimensional box", i.e. the limb and stock are both 14" L?

Additionally, I know that crossbows can not have a solid core, somewhat complicating the construction of a battle-worthy, yet attractive phys rep (to the recent delight of Inaki...) however, other materials such as sinew and leather are permitted, correct? How about wood? (I'm thinking internal dowels or biscuits, or even a wooden dowel prod) Obviously metal is out...

Before I get into the design of a pistol xbow that will look cool and survive hanging from my belt while running through the woods, I'd like to be assured it will pass.

A core is anything ridged such as wood, metal, graphite or thick leather. None of these would be legal in a crossbow from what I have read and understand. As far as the bow part, it must be obviously a `bow` but beyond that there is no requirements for it's length.

So using a block and sinew to secure the limb (like a typical medieval xbow) would be permitted so ling as the stock, block and limb were made of foam?

I'd really love some links to photos which explain what you're talking about (block & sinew) to take a look.

As a general note with an item which can be used to block in melee combat, moar foamed areas = moar better. :)

Trace Moriarty
Weapons & Safety Marshal
Alliance Denver

Just to clarify, Crossbows can not be used to block in combat and must be 100% core-less, this include the 'bow' portion as well as the stock and body. Traces explanation is totally valid for a long or short bow=)

Yep, can't block with an xbow, only a bow (which has a core) here is an image of a typical medieval crossbow:

http://uncrate.com/p/2011/04/medieval-crossbow-xl.jpg

The "block" is the part in front of the limb, the sinew is used to secure the limb, around the block through a hole I, the stock. I'd like to replicate that look and design, using foam for the stock, block and limb.

You can as long as the entire unit has no core. You also can not have a string or any sort of wire.

One last nitpick - there is no limit to foam density, correct? So in theory I could use a carve a 20# closed cell extruded block?

Best I could tell the rules state "foam" - that leaves a lot of leeway (for someone who sells building materials...) considering it's essentially a physrep and not a striking weapon.

I ask players to hit themselves in the head with the foam they've used, and tell me if it's too hard -- and no, I'm not kidding.

If your weapon seems essentially safe to me as a Weapons Marshal, but is made in a nonstandard manner, or out of some unexpected but not expressly prohibited materials, I will refer you to Jesse who will have to check your weapon personally. He gets the ultimate say in what's approved for use in his game.

I will simply offer the standard disclaimer: Please feel free to experiment with cool materials; that's how our community will innovate and expand its knowledge base. Just do so with the information that the farther you stray from the commonly used materials, the greater chance there may be that your weapon made of materials found only in the space program may not pass inspection.

Trace Moriarty
Weapons & Safety Marshal

Well, considering it a non-striking weapon I think that's kind of a moot point... Also, I'm Calabrese so you can probably hit me in the head with a lot of things that wouldn't be acceptable to other people!

Thanks for the clarifications, I'll likely make a core-less higher density foam crossbow (sans-string) and run it past Jessie then.

I think we're good here. Nico (Tyloric) is an experienced participant in boffer LARPs, SCA, and other like activities. He understands universal concepts of not running with scissors on the battlefield. I think he knows what level of safety he needs to strive for here in this construction.

This is a subjective area of our safety rules, difficult to quantify. Technically, by the book, a crossbow is a specialized melee weapon even if it doesn't engage in melee. Therefore treating it exactly like a weapon intended for boffer melee is foolish. On the other hand, we pad pomels against accidental back-handing, accidents can and do happen on the battlefield. This should be safe for its intended purpose. But we also let people wear big hunks of hammered metal on the battlefield which would also hurt like a mother if you run into them in an unintended way. We don't need to pad the universe.

Trace Moriarty
Weapons and Safety Marshal
Alliance Denver

Back