Recent Spam

Sarah

Who turned off the approval feature? We used to have an approval feature for making new accounts that kept our spam down to nothing. Now we're getting blasticated.

Turn it back on please.

Actually, the approval feature was never on. The account approval process requires a real person to validate themselves via various methods and keeps out bots. Nothing has changed on this, but the bots seem to have gotten smarter.

Most of the bots are still stopped, every now and again one gets through.

Not to worry. I keep the forums in my daily forum-I'm-bored-at-work cycle. I think I've banned & deleted a half dozen every week or so in the last few.

Brad Lewis said:
Not to worry. I keep the forums in my daily forum-I'm-bored-at-work cycle. I think I've banned & deleted a half dozen every week or so in the last few.

Same here.

So... today... about a dozen users were IP Banned and Deleted from the Inactive user list... 6 were from the Ukraine, 2 from Russia, and 4 from the British Virgin Islands. All had registered in the last two weeks.

What the hell?

At least those ones are being kept on the inactive list. It's the ones that get beyond that which I find really annoying. Yay spambots!

Hrm, I wonder if there's a way to refuse registration for anyone from any email address ending in .ru, that has "RX," "PHD," or "Prescription" in the name, or the miriad of other things that keep occuring in these things... As neat as it would be, I don't think we're going to be getting Prescriptionists from Eastern Europse any time soon.

Back