Recipe Sharing

chriso

While posting on a different topic, I started writing about food, which made me hungry...for new recipes!

Anyone wish to contribute? I'll begin with a salad I've made on many an occasion. It's nummy. This one can be made at an event, even! Most everything can be made beforehand (toss apple slices with citrus juice to slow down browning) and tossed together before serving. Impress your friends! Poison your enemies! (Read the whole recipe and make sure you or your eaters aren't allergic to anything in it.)

--Chicken, Apple, and Walnut salad--

Salad Dressing -
1/4 Cup Honey
1 T Curry Powder
1/4 Cup Rice Wine Vinegar
3/4 Cup Salad Oil (Canola, Vegetable, Corn, etc. NOT Olive oil!)

Stir above ingredients together in a bowl or other container. Something with a lid for additional shaking is good. This makes over a cup of dressing, so expect left-over dressing if you're only cooking for a small number of people. Adjust above amounts to taste.

Salad Ingredients-
Lettuce (most any variety, I prefer red leaf)
Apples (cut into bite-sized pieces or slices. I usually get Green apples of some kind)
Chicken (skinless, boneless breasts; boiled or cooked until done; grilled is fine, too)
Walnuts (chopped, Walnut Bits, skip the nuts, whatever)

Toss the ingredients together with the dressing, and serve. Preferably with scones, which complement this salad wonderfully. :)

Anyone with me? I can't be the only cook around, can I? I have other recipes, if anyone's interested (some, such as Bananas Foster and Piarran Mist, can't be made at an event, but others can).

~ChrisO

I have recently taken to preparing what I have dubbed (or possibly stolen from Futurama) "Bachelor Chow"

-Pack of Imitation crabmeat
Fry it in butter and garlic powder

-Angel Hair Pasta
Nearly a full box works for me.

-Whole bag of frozen Petite Baby Peas.

Prepare all these seperately, then mix together with some extra butter and parmasian cheese in a large pot.

Serves as three meals for one Hoyce sized fatass.

It ain't gormet, but it's fairly tasty and works as pretty decent sustanience (sp?)

I've recently mixed the recepie up a bit to try ground pork instead of crabmeat. It's not as good.

My favorite type of chicken wings; Easy Italian Chicken Wings

Mix 1 can of Italian Bread Crumbs with 4 cups of shredded parmasean cheese

Coat your wings in butter (NOT MARGARINE!!)

Bake at 450 for about an hour, turning every fifteen minutes or so on a greased cookie sheet

Enjoy!!

1) Open box of Pop Tarts, remove pack

2) Open pack of Pop Tarts, place Pop Tarts in toaster and press down lever

3) Wait for toaster to pop and remove warm Pop Tarts

4) Enjoy!

It's more than one step, so it's a recipe! :D

A while back we had to list the steps in making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. And the teachers made them verbatim, they turned out some pretty funky sammiches!

I remember an old PEANUTS comic where someone (most likely Charile Brown) was making butter bread for either Lucy or Sally. When he finished he went to cut the bread in half and Lucy/Sally said, "Don't cut it! They lose their flavor when you cut them." LOL

Apple-Cheddar Omelet

Apple Filling:
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
1 medium-size tart apple such as Granny Smith, peeled, cored, and sliced thinly (1 ¼ cups)
1 tablespoon light or dark brown sugar
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
Pinch of grated nutmeg
½ cup shredded Cheddar cheese

Omelet:
3 large eggs
2 teaspoons water
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper

1. Make the filling: In a medium-size nonstick skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the apple and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes, or until tender. Stir in the sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg until well blended. Remove the skillet from the heat.

2. Make the omelet: In a small bowl, beat the eggs with the water, salt, and pepper.

3. Heat an 8- to 10-inch nonstick omelet pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Pour in the beaten eggs. Swirl the pan by the handle to distribute the eggs evenly over the surface. Cook, without stirring, for 10 seconds, or until the bottom and edges begin to set.

4. As the bottom begins to set, lift the cooked portion of the omelet with a thin spatula to let the uncooked egg mixture flow under it. Repeat until most of the omelet is set but the center is still moist and creamy.

5. Spoon the apple filling over one half of the omelet and sprinkle with the Cheddar cheese. Using a spatula, fold the remaining half over the filling and cook until the filling is heated through and the cheese has melted. Slide the omelet onto a plate and serve right away.

Serves: 2
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes

“Traditional” Chicken Satay

12 skewers
2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
Fresh coriander (cilantro) sprigs (optional)

Satay sauce:
1 cup roasted unsalted peanuts
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 teaspoons chopped fresh chili pepper
1 tablespoon chopped fresh lemon grass (if lemongrass in unavailable, substitute 2 teaspoons grated lemon/lime zest)
2 teaspoons curry powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 ½ cups unsweetened coconut milk
2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons lime juice

1. If using bamboo skewers, soak in water for at least 1 hour to prevent burning

2. Satay Sauce: Blend or process peanuts until crushed. Heat the oil in the frying pan and add onion, garlic, chili, lemon grass, curry powder and cumin and cook, stirring, until the onion is soft. Add the nuts and remaining ingredients and stir until hot

3. Thread the chicken onto skewers, brush with oil, and broil or grill until tender (about 10 mins)

4. Serve skewers over a bed of thinly sliced vegetables, if desired. Spoon on sauce and garnish with coriander

Serves 6
Prep/Cook Time: 55 mins

Blue Cheese Burgers

1 ¼ pounds lean ground beef
1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
1 ½ teaspoons chopped fresh thyme or ½ teaspoon dried thyme leaves
¾ teaspoon salt
Dash black pepper
4 ounces blue cheese, crumbled

1. Combine the ground beef, onion, thyme, salt and pepper in medium bowl; mix lightly. Shape into 8 thin patties.

2. Place the cheese in the center of 4 patties to within ½ inch of outer edge; top with remaining patties. Press edges together to seal

3. Grill 8 minutes or until no longer pink in the center (160° F), turning once. Serve with lettuce, tomatoes and Dijon mustard on whole wheat buns, if desired.

Serves: 4
Prep/Cook time: 15 minutes

Shall I continue? I'm a food junky (which explains my waistline) and have amassed a healthy collection of favorites over the last few years into a digital cookbook.

Orange Roast Beef Sandwich

1 pound of deli-sliced Roast beef
1 can of tomato soup
.5 cup of 100% orange juice
3 tbsp of worchestershire sauce
dash of black pepper

Heat up a skillet and mix soup, orange juice, worchestershire, and pepper. Heat sauce to near boil. Add deli meat and let simmer for about 15 minutes or so. Place on sesame seed bun. Enjoy!

--------------------------------------
CHICKEN - FRIED STEAK WITH CREAM GRAVY
--------------------------------------

1 round steak, cut 1/2 inch thick (about 1 lb.)
2 lg. eggs
2 tbsp. milk
1/4 c. all-purpose flour
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 tbsp. butter
Cream Gravy (recipe below)

Cut steak crosswise into 4 pieces. Place one piece between
two sheets of plastic wrap. Using rolling pin or meat
pound, pound to 1/4 inch thickness. Repeat with remaining
pieces. In pie plate, beat eggs with milk; in second pie
plate, combine flour, salt, and pepper. Dip each piece of
steak first into egg mixture, then into flour mixture to
coat completely. Shake gently to remove excess flour. In 12
inch skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Add steaks, two
at a time. Cook about 5 minutes on each side until golden.
Serve with Cream Gravy. Makes 4 servings.

Per serving without gravy: 333 calories, 27 grams protein,
21 grams fat, 8 grams carbohydrate.

Cream Gravy: In small saucepan over medium low heat, melt 2
tablespoons butter. Stir in 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
until blended and smooth. Gradually add 1 cup milk, 1/2
teaspoon instant chicken flavor bouillon, and 1/2 teaspoon
freshly ground black pepper; bring to boil, stirring
constantly. Reduce heat to low; cook 3 to 5 minutes,
stirring frequently until mixture is smooth and slightly
thickened. Makes about 1 cup.

Per 1/4 cup serving: 107 calories, 3 grams protein, 8 grams
fat, 6 grams carbohydrate.

------------------------------------------------------
GRILLED SIRLOIN STEAK AU POIVE WITH GARLIC CREAM SAUCE
------------------------------------------------------

4 sirloin steaks
1 tbsp. coarse black pepper
2 c. heavy cream
2 tbsp. chopped garlic
Dash salt & pepper
1 tsp. beef base or 1 beef bouillon cube
Small amount of butter and oil

Sprinkle steaks, both sides with coarse black pepper. Coat
steaks with a small amount of vegetable oil, to keep them
from sticking to the grill.

In a small saucepan, saute garlic in a small amount of
butter until soft but not brown, about a minute.

Add the heavy cream, bring to a simmer.

Add the salt and pepper to taste, along with the beef base.
NOTE: The beef base may be enough salt, you be the judge.
Let the sauce simmer and it will reduce and become thicker,
about 10 minutes. Grill steaks to desired doneness, drape
sauce over the steaks.

P.S. I love garlic (gahlic!!)

CAPPUCCINO-FUDGE CHEESECAKE
Crust
1 9-ounce box chocolate wafer cookies
6 ounces bittersweet (not unsweetened) or semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup (packed) dark brown sugar
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
7 tablespoons hot melted unsalted butter

Ganache
1 1/2 cups whipping cream
20 ounces bittersweet (not unsweetened) or semisweet chocolate, chopped
1/4 cup Kahlúa or other coffee-flavored liqueur

Filling
4 8-ounce packages cream cheese, room temperature
1 1/3 cups sugar
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
2 tablespoons dark rum
2 tablespoons instant espresso powder or coffee crystals
2 tablespoons ground whole espresso coffee beans (medium-coarse grind)
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons mild-flavored (light) molasses
4 large eggs

Topping
1 1/2 cups sour cream
1/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Espresso coffee beans (optional)
For crust:
Finely grind cookies, chopped chocolate, brown sugar, and nutmeg in processor. Add butter and process until crumbs begin to stick together, scraping down bowl occasionally, about 1 minute. Transfer crumbs to 10-inch-diameter springform pan with 3-inch-high sides. Wrap plastic wrap around fingers and press crumb mixture firmly up sides to within 1/2 inch of top edge, then over bottom of pan.

For ganache:
Bring whipping cream to simmer in large saucepan. Remove from heat; add chocolate and Kahlúa. Whisk until chocolate is melted and ganache is smooth. Pour 2 cups ganache over bottom of crust. Freeze until ganache layer is firm, about 30 minutes. Reserve remaining ganache; cover and let stand at room temperature to use later for creating lattice pattern.

For filling
Position rack in middle of oven and preheat to 350°F. Using electric mixer, beat cream cheese and sugar in large bowl until blended. Beat in flour. Stir rum, espresso powder, ground coffee, vanilla, and molasses in small bowl until instant coffee dissolves; beat into cream cheese mixture. Beat in eggs 1 at a time, occasionally scraping down sides of bowl.

Pour filling over cold ganache in crust. Place cheesecake on rimmed baking sheet. Bake until top is brown, puffed and cracked at edges, and center 2 inches moves only slightly when pan is gently shaken, about 1 hour 5 minutes. Transfer cheesecake to rack. Cool 15 minutes while preparing topping (top of cheesecake will fall slightly). Maintain oven temperature.

For topping:
Whisk sour cream, sugar, and vanilla in medium bowl to blend. Pour topping over hot cheesecake, spreading to cover filling completely. Bake until topping is set, about 10 minutes. Transfer cheesecake to rack. Refrigerate hot cheesecake on rack until cool, about 3 hours.

Run small sharp knife between crust and pan sides to loosen cake; release pan sides. Transfer cheesecake to platter. Spoon reserved ganache into pastry bag fitted with small star tip. Pipe 6 diagonal lines atop cheesecake, spacing 1 inch apart. Repeat in opposite direction, making lattice. Pipe rosettes of ganache around top edge of cake. Garnish with coffee beans, if desired. Chill until lattice is firm, at least 6 hours. (Can be made 4 days ahead. Wrap loosely in foil, forming dome over lattice; keep chilled.)

--------------------------------
ABSOLUTE BEST CHICKEN ENCHILADAS
--------------------------------

1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
4 chicken breasts (cooked and boned)
4+2 chopped green onions
24 oz. sour cream
1 lb. grated cheddar cheese
2 dozen med. size flour tortillas
2 sm. cans enchilada sauce

In large bowl, mix together shredded chicken, 4 chopped
green onions, sour cream, and 1/2 pound of grated cheddar
cheese; set aside. Pour tomato sauce in bottom of 13x9 inch
pan.

Fill tortillas with approximately 3-4 tablespoons of chicken
mixture and roll, placing seam side down in pan with tomato
sauce. Repeat until pan is full. Pour enchilada sauce over
tortillas.

Cover with remaining grated cheese. Bake at 350 degrees
until hot, 20-30 minutes. Remove from oven and top with
remaining chopped green onions.

Telokh_Amdo said:
1) Open box of Pop Tarts, remove pack

2) Open pack of Pop Tarts, place Pop Tarts in toaster and press down lever

3) Wait for toaster to pop and remove warm Pop Tarts

4) Enjoy!

It's more than one step, so it's a recipe! :D

Brian Regan

now I'm hungry... ;)

Ridiculously Easy Goya Beans (Puerto Rican style)

Ingredients:
1 sm can goya seasoned tomato sauce
2 can kidney beans (dark, red, small... whichever kind you like)
2-3 tsp of recaito (in the international section - mix of cilantro and other spices)
Adobo to taste

1. On low heat add the sauce and recaito to the pot and slowly bring to a simmer.
2. Add beans. I usually don't bother draining them.
3. Season to taste with adobo.
4. Simmer to combine flavors for a few minutes.

Serve over rice. Makes a nifty side dish to chicken, bbq or even on its own if you're on a budget. Low fat too!

Somewhere I have an actual recipe for parmesan mushroom orzo. Must find it. I can't remember it off the top of my head because it was a mix and match of two other completely different recipies...

pull green grapes off vine and put into bowl
rinse and wash well and drain off all water
cut 3 large limes in half and squeeze juice onto freshly washed grapes (DON"T USE LIME JUICE FROM BOTTLE!!)
cut 1 lime into slices and place on top of grapes
cover bowl and mix by gently bouncing the grapes and lime slices and lime juice around
take cover off of bowl and enjoy the tastiest sweet and sour treat ever in the whole universe

2 8oz packages of fat free cream cheese
1/2 package of salad toppers or your favorite seasoning mix
1 tsp salt, 1 tsp pepper
3 stalks chopped chives
1/8 cup finely copped celantro
1 tsp onion powder
blend all together until the chunky stuff is thoroughly mixed throughout and then spread the mixture evenly over a whole wheat boboli pizza crust make sure its spread out to the very edges

cut up your favorite veggies (usually tomato, broccoli, mushroom, peppers, onion) into little pieces and sprinkle/spread out over the top, cut and serve its yummy garden pizza, make sure you don't try to heat it up its supposed to be cold

Back