Repel, Focus ability or not?

Is the spell "Repel" a spell that requires focus or not?

The spell text doesn't include this, and in face specifically states that "The outstretched hand cannot be used for any other purpose, although the caster may use the other hand for in-game skills."

However, Repel is specifically included in the list of "Focus examples" on page 103, under concentration spells. The description of focus explicitly states that using a skill or game ability (other than educated or teach)which is not required for the ability they're focusing on.

1. Can I cast spells with my other hand while maintaining a repel effect?
2. Can I block attacks with a weapon/shield while maintaining a repel effect?

The way I interpret this, is that you would be unable to do anything other than maintain the repel effect. Since Storm works this way, and is included in the same category of concentration spells, I'd assume Repel would function similarly, and the spell text might not have been updated from 1.3.

1. Nope.
2. Nope.

You are correcting that maintaining Focus removes the ability to do other things (something that I, as a shield user, will definitely be remembering).

Upvote 0
Keep in mind that, as noted under Focus, specific abilities may have their own overriding text. In this case, Repel explicitly states that the other hand can be used for in-game skills; this would include blocking, attacking, or casting a spell (all from that other hand), for example. Repel's specific text overrides the general Focus text.

Upvote 0
Back