REPO: The Genetic Opera

Redcloud

Scholar
If you haven't heard/seen this movie I highly recommend it. Especially if your a fan of Anthony Stewart Head (Giles on Buffy the Vampire slayer) or just post-apocalyptic, gothic/industrial stories.

31623bba8135c4fd7050ea0a846c22cf.jpg

I second this recomendation! I discovered REPO in January, and since then I have been completely obsessed. This is opera like you've never seen it before! Check it out at: www.repo-opera.com.

Yay, more Repo! Fans! We need more. Lots more!

I saw this in November and was hooked. But it was a limited release so couldn't see it again until it came out on DVD/BlueRay in late January, when I immediately grabbed it up.

A friend of mine described it as "'Blade Runner' meets 'Rocky Horror Picture Show'", which is fairly, though not perfectly, accurate. I super-highly recommend it for anyone who enjoys dark musicals (Phantom, Jekyll & Hyde, etc.), heavy metal/goth music, aesthetically pleasing design (sets, costumes, lighting), a great plot, and wonderful performances. (Oh, and if you enjoyed Anthony Stewart Head in the Buffy episode "Once More with Feeling"--damn those Brits and their lovely voices!--you'll love him in this. The man is dreamy.)

I really can't say enough about this one. It's new. It's different. It's an American Opera for this generation. (Trite, but true.) And I can't wait until it's old enough that the studio will offer rights to the stage production.

Hell, even Paris Hilton surprised me by not inducing nausea as I'd feared (type casting can be beautiful), and Sarah Brightman's voice has much matured over the years.

So go see it today! Your local video store should have it!

Testify!
ChrisO (Who believes he shall now have to put it on today, in order to listen to its loveliness.)

Due warning (and I say this knowing that I HATE horror movies)

This movie is EXTREMELY graphic in a horror based genre.

However, I loved it....but y'know, its hard to go wrong with Sarah Brightman and Anthony Stewart Head...

*SPOILER ALERT!*

...even if he is shoving his hand inside of people after he's ripped their insides out, and is making them talk like a puppet.

-Ali

zehnyu said:
...even if he is shoving his hand inside of people after he's ripped their insides out, and is making them talk like a puppet.

-Ali

I had to pause the movie until I stopped laughing hysterically after this part. Does that make my a psychopath? Probably. But it was still hysterical.

No, it doesn't. It's funny as hell, in a sick sort of way.

Rather like laughing during the torture scene in Firefly's "War Stories" episode. Can't stand depictions of torture, but I bust up every time I see it.

Besides, the look on Anthony Stewart Head's face right at the end is PRICELESS!

And the head-banging stuffed animals...Squeee!

ChrisO

"Holy crap. I like my job?!"

I love how he harmonizes with his own falsetto voice.

There a split in his chr. The Repo man loves his job, he relishes it. Nathan is embarassed and unhappy that he has to live that life. Just listen to the toune of his voice during Let the Monster Rise, Night Surgeon or Legal Assassin. He's soft and melodious as Nathan, but whe he sings as repo, he's very sharp and forced.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMP2dvGFUlk[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv9MESOwQUg[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OijitjGeJk[/youtube]

Redcloud said:
There a split in his chr. The Repo man loves his job, he relishes it. Nathan is embarassed and unhappy that he has to live that life. Just listen to the toune of his voice during Let the Monster Rise, Night Surgeon or Legal Assassin. He's soft and melodious as Nathan, but whe he sings as repo, he's very sharp and forced.
Believe me, I get it. I've spent hours sitting in silence, staring off into space and analyzing this movie from the perspective of a film geek.

Ren Suzume said:
zehnyu said:

-Ali

I had to pause the movie until I stopped laughing hysterically after this part. Does that make my a psychopath? Probably. But it was still hysterical.

Hm... I laughed all the way through American Psycho. Is it that kind of funny? Does he return videos a lot?

Yay REPO,

I saw this too recently, after a friend of mine had been talking about it. I saw it at Blockbuster and wanted to rent it. Now I hate gorey horror movies and usually can't stand watching them, but this was just too good, there were only one or two scences I actually cringed at. I felt the story actually flowed really well and with the music and the singing, the action of the really gorey scences was really (to me) just part of the act, which made it much easier to watch. Seeing Anthony sing was just awesome, gave me a whole new appreciation for him, even tho I loved him in Buffy. Paris Hilton in it didn't effect the show in any bad way at all, I was really surprised at how she well did. Sarah Brightman was awesome and her singing was amazing, her eyes...I want them. The whole story was just really good and I just wanted to ramble a bit about how much I liked it, I highly recommend it to others who like things like "Sweeny Todd", it has a much more unique feel to it tho. Its worth the rental and most likely the buying price as well.

My two copper,
Jen aka Bella

As a REPO enthusiast, I would like to say how honored I am to have a fellow Alliance player whose name is Robb Graves, and whose character's name is Nathan Westwind.

Sorry ahead of time, Robb, you are never going to hear the end of this from me.

Back