Returning LARPer, giving Alliance a try

A buddy and I are trying to get back into the LARP scene after a long hiatus. We used to play at a relatively local NERO Intl. chapter until it gave way to enormous amounts of custom play tests and power gaming, not to mention the plot seemed to revolve around a very small group of players that made it to every event.

All that said, my intent wasn't to come here and bash anyone. I'm merely trying to give an inside look at our LARP experience so that my next questions don't offend.

First off, were coming a long way (should be approximately a 6 hour trip) and it would be a real shame if we came all that way only to sit in a tavern for the entire event. I guess I'd like to know if you have the ability to run low level modules so we don't have to sit on our hands all day. I understand that we might not get into the primary plot in our first event and that's totally understandable.

Our plan is to come in for the November event. We're both trying to figure out what out schedules are like for that month (we're both in the army and unfortunately our drill weekends almost never coincide with each other), but we should both know fairly shortly when and if we will be able to come. So basically how would one go about pre-registering for an event and how much notice do you need?

Beyond that I'm just curious as to how many people are in your chapter and how many are actually planning on coming to the November event? I'd also love to hear any feedback you can provide about your chapter as a whole. I look forward to hearing back from you all.

I am unsure of your actual name so
Deer Alister,
My name is Jason and I will be taking over the plot team along with Asa Hensley and Joe Convery as of next year. We will all be doing some side plot when you come in Nov. As for now Josh Mclean and Matt Ferrara are the heads of plot and will be running that specific weekend.

The idea of sitting in the tavern the entire weekend should be no issue at all unless that is what you would like to do. We have plenty of mod cards and a new mod facilitation called contracts which I am sure you will experience when you come. We also have the benefit of a large amount of plot people be there for that weekend which will mean if there isn't enough going on there certainly will be more added to accommodate.

We do have a handful of newbies at our chapter, not to say they are necessarily new with skill but more-so new in build. That being said, you could do mods with them or try and do mods with just the two of you. I don't see a reason you should be bored as long as you aren't the kind of PC's who wait for plot to come grab there hand and take them on a journey.

As far as pre-regging goes you certainly can the information to alliancesouthmi@yahoo.com, and you will be taken care of. I don't believe we have a cash benefit to pre-regging anymore but it will get you squared away as far as coming in and getting through logistics. I would say a week prior would be good but I am not positive.

To answer your last paragraph of questions, our player base fluctuates because we do have people who travel from quite a distance. We have a handful of people who travel up from the Chicago area, and a handful that come from the Toronto area. Generally we have between 20 and 30 PC's per event. November being the closing event of the year can have a tenancy to bring out a good amount of players because that will be the last time to play until next February but you never know who's going to show.

Thanks for posting and if you have anymore questions feel free to post again.

Tank

Some site notes
Since the event is in November, I just thought I'd mention that we have heat, electricity, refrigeration showers etc. on site.

The main PC cabin is a large barracks that sleeps, 40-ish. We have a nice tavern building with a real kitchen. You can bring your own food, or usually someone runs the Tavern for a flat OOG cost.

-Joe

Pardon my manners, my name real name is Greg. Thanks for the prompt replies, as I said before, my experience with my last NERO chapter was a little lackluster, in fact in our last chapter the only way to be certain you would get in on a module at all was to sit in the tavern and wait until an NPC literally came knocking at your door (although there were occasionally 'goblin wake up calls' on our cabin doors at 6 in the morning). I'm glad to hear that we won't have to sit around an wait for things to come to us!

I'm really curious to hear more about the contract system you have. It sounds like something I'd need to learn about IG though so I won't push the topic if that's the case.

As for the basic amenities, sounds great. Glad we won't have to deal with the gamer funk for the entire event, wasn't looking forward to febreze and spray deodorant showers. One question though, I'd actually like to bring and cook my own food if possible, does your site have fire pits that can be used by the general public or are they off limits without specific supervision? In the event we can't use the fire pits, would a portable gas grill be alright?

Again, thanks for the replies.

There are fire pits that can be used, though they are not convenient from the PC cabins. However, the main PC cabin has 2 full kitchens.

Hey, it's me again. I had a question about starting BP.

Basically I was wondering what BP a brand new character actually starts at. In NERO Intl. it was pretty common practice to start out at 20 BP because at 15 BP it's really difficult to rough out a character concept. I have also heard that it's possible to get additional starting BP for a fully fleshed out character back ground (something I was planning on doing anyway), is that true of all chapters or is it on a chapter by chapter basis?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hey there, I'm the other half of this intrepid duo, and I had a couple of questions as well.

First off, how exactly is lock picking handled in Michigan? Here in Illinois it is illegal to own lock picks without a license. Which means that we've never actually experienced Nero or Alliance lock picking without using a "bead draw" system. Where does one attain Alliance conforming locks for use their IG use, and what are these locks like?

Also, what time does the game usually wrap up?

Huh, I guess that's all the questions for now. Thanks!

GunFodder said:
Hey there, I'm the other half of this intrepid duo, and I had a couple of questions as well.

First off, how exactly is lock picking handled in Michigan? Here in Illinois it is illegal to own lock picks without a license. Which means that we've never actually experienced Nero or Alliance lock picking without using a "bead draw" system. Where does one attain Alliance conforming locks for use their IG use, and what are these locks like?

Also, what time does the game usually wrap up?

Huh, I guess that's all the questions for now. Thanks!

Welcome!

Sorry to not have replied sooner. I don't actually know the legal way Michigan handles lockpicking. I'm pretty sure it's also illegal to own picks without a license. So hopefully Tom, our intrepid owner, will chime in on the ruling for the locks. I don't see many IG locks that aren't also wizard locked, or warded. Barring that, most people hide their goods in the woods somewhere.

We try to leave site by about noon on Sunday. So you have to sweep/mop your cabin etc. Plot is still available to have things run during that time but usually the game goes long into Saturday night and then psuedo ends when people get tired. I promise Plot will stay up as late as you want to do things. Sometimes their needs to be a IG wrap-up conversation for particular players or plot-lines but we generally don't have a closing PC talk.

See you in November.

-Joe

Alistar Khol said:
Hey, it's me again. I had a question about starting BP.

Basically I was wondering what BP a brand new character actually starts at. In NERO Intl. it was pretty common practice to start out at 20 BP because at 15 BP it's really difficult to rough out a character concept. I have also heard that it's possible to get additional starting BP for a fully fleshed out character back ground (something I was planning on doing anyway), is that true of all chapters or is it on a chapter by chapter basis?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Characters start at 15 build. You can get goblin stamps (brownies), by donating things to start with more build. Alliance allows you to get a 'monthly goblin blanket' for 30 goblins. You can also back blanket missed events, 60 gobs per weekend. Both of these policies go back 3 months from the current month. So you could bring stuff to donate and get credit for Nov (the current month), Oct, Sept, Aug Goblin blankets. And the two missed events in Sept, and Oct. Starting you with 39 build if you donated 240 gobs worth of stuff.

I 'think' a well written back story when you start is worth 30 goblins, E-mail it ahead of time to plotsm@gmail.com NPC camp can always use more two handed weapons, big pants/ shirts, mantles. Energy Drinks, makeup sponges, baby whipes. There is a whole thread for what we need.
-Joe

Well the duo is now a trio. Expect a salvo of background and character e-mails to hit your inboxes soon. Though, speaking of which, as a brand new player, could someone quote me a total initial investment cost for the first game fee, registration fee, membership fee... etc. Will I need to sign a disclosure or waiver for insurance purposes?

- Scott W. (future player of Rebu Nellat'ochs of the Arden Vale)

twelvefootnine said:
Well the duo is now a trio. Expect a salvo of background and character e-mails to hit your inboxes soon. Though, speaking of which, as a brand new player, could someone quote me a total initial investment cost for the first game fee, registration fee, membership fee... etc. Will I need to sign a disclosure or waiver for insurance purposes?

- Scott W. (future player of Rebu Nellat'ochs of the Arden Vale)

Welcome Scott,

Total game cost for a 'never played alliance before' person is $25. Regular event cost is $50. So your first event is half price. Food is a seperate cost that varies event per event, depending on who runs Tavern. Generally it's about $10 for a weekend of food, sometimes it's item by item. There are refrigerators and kitchens to prepare your own food though, so some people just feed themselves. We'll get a more precise cost for food closer to the event.

As another thought to the intrepid trio, if you know your builds, send them ahead of time. alliancesouthmi@yahoo.com So we can speed up logistics. Yes you will have to sign a safety waiver.

-Joe

Thanks Joe!

Speaking of food and drink... We're planning to bring some to share. Two of our PCs are taking the Craftsman: Brewer skill and we'll be making non-alcoholic cordials and beverages to share... "...in exchange for a charitable donation to the Arden Vale Orphanage. Every copper helps.". I figure its an interesting and characterful way to provide additional roleplay opportunities while earning some extra in-game coin to further the efforts of our cause.

We mostly have our PC builds & backgrounds complete but we could probably spend some more time checking our back-stories against each other so we don't have conflicts. I plan to submit a basic 15 BP build, a thorough background and a +10 BP 'projection' to accommodate the potential bonus points for the background. With that said, we understand that this session is a season-ender and the focus will be on the resolution of existing plots. As such, we'll bring enough personal plot to entertain ourselves and provide interesting conversation material but we have no expectation that the plot staff will incorporate our personal plots into game. That can happen further down the road and that's fine by us.

We do hope to contribute some weapons and supplies at game for extra Gobbies and XP but making our own equipment and costumes has been taking priority. The current plan is to NPC on Friday night to avoid putting any undue burden on Logistics and come in as PCs on Saturday. Also, that way Ben & Greg can burn through some of their "rust" and I can have an opportunity to get the basics down. My LARP experience has been limited to brief experience with "full-contact" boffer sports and many years of no-contact Vampire: the Requiem LARPs. I'll need to discover an appropriate middle ground but I'll be playing a magic-using archer so I'm not too terribly worried.

Anyhow, expect e-mails soon...

- Scott

I would encourage the three of you to PC all weekend. Especially you, as a brand new to larping player. It's a lot easier to learn the basics when you just have your few abilites. NPC's will be throwing similar things at you each mod so you can learn effects gradually. IF you NPC right from jump, you not only need to know your card, but you need to know all the potential things the PC's could be throwing at you.

As a new PC you can just fall down if you don't know an effect, then ask what it did, and then potentially get back up. As an NPC you kinda need to be more on the ball with the potential calls and effects. I think you'll all be a lot better off, PC-ing from the start and going on a mod to "knock the rust off"

Either option is allowed, you can PC or NPC or whatever. I am just encouraging you three to PC from the start. Especially since you plan to PC later in the event anyway. The price is the same, get your monies worth and rock the Orphan trio from the start. Plus from an IG perspective, I think their will be a lot of new faces on friday, so you will probably have an easier time linking up with other people Friday night.

Don't worry about burdening logistics. My wife does all that and she would much rather you E-mail your stuff ahead of time, so she can pre-pull your tags and make your characters, then handle everything on Friday night before the game. She PC's so she likes to get everything handled Friday night.

-Joe

PC'ing all weekend sounds great. I just remember having started Nero as a dedicated NPC, and how much fun I had doing that.

And here comes more questions! Basically, I just want to know what we're allowed to start with in terms of weapons, armor, arrows/bolts, money, etc.

In the old game, you got your starting armor basically for free, which was a huge plus if you could start with a decent set. But what's the limit on the rest of it? The example in the rulebook mentions starting with only 12 copper. Does this still hold true, or does it vary from chapter to chapter? Typically, if you brought only a weapon or two, and some arrows for your bow, they'd let you have it. But it was never very well-defined.

I'm still not sure about how lock picking will work. Is there anyone with legerdemain who'd be willing to chime in?

Finally, (I can't believe that I forgot THIS one) what time is check-in and lay-on?

EDIT: One more! Do you get both days worth of production items upon check-in? That's how we used to do it as of a couple years ago, but in my first Nero chapter you had to wait until the second day to get the second day's production items.

Thanks much!

While I can't answer the lock picking question exactly with what SoMI does (as I'm a SoMN player) I do know that basic locks such as suitcase locks may be easily picked with a bobby pin or paperclip. It's a simple twirl, really. So those locks should be good to go. I believe that the rule is "if someone on site can pick it, it's allowed" normally.

I will let a local handle your other questions, as I am not sure what their particular logistics system is like.

So I would imagine that %90 of legerdemain (at least in Somi) is used to remove traps, as opposed to picking locks. I would just bring your stuff, and if it's not allowed we'll just call the cops and be on our merry way. ;) If you feel lederdemain is not worth it, you can always write it out of your card at your second event. Everyone is allowed a free re-write.

NPC-ing is great, but it sounds like you are going through a lot to get your costuming in order, so I just say PC it up. You will be the second Shovel user in our chapter.

Starting Equipment is 2 silver, and then whatever you have repped. So if you are repping a 30pt suit of armor, you get a tag for it, if you bring a longsword/Shield into game you get a starting tag for them. As for the amount of bolts, I think it has to do with how many 'quivers' you have on you. Make sure you check into them in the rule book.

'Lay-on' varies from time to time. Logisitcs and people are on site at around 7, but the game usually doesn't start until 10-ish. We'd like to get everything going earlier but a lot of our player base travels 5+hours (Chicago, Canada, Traverse City, and the SoMn crowd), so we'd rather hold the start until the bulk of people get there. Especially this weekend, we will ahve a lot of travelers and new folks. It should be a great time.

You'll get production/Craftsmen Others at each logistics period.

-Joe

Back