Review "The King's Masquerade"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dramm a'dan

Scholar
Post your review for a "The King's Masquerade"
1. Post your favorite moments
2. Post your less favorite moments (if we don't know, we can not fix)
3. What you would like to see more of
4. Gives us a moment from the perspective of your character

Reviews got you 15 gs, so make sure you tag your review with your name.

Another great event especially the ending when we had some kidnapping take place.
1. One of my favorite moments was getting my quarter staff in the tavern. I lied to the Colonel about it being soul linked lol. Getting Phalen to shake hand with my puppet "Gonzo". Liked the music in the background we had. Hopefully we can have more of that for our remaining tavern events.
2. I can't think of anything bad to say about the event. Everything went really well.
3. Maybe a little more combat

Brian

1. My favourite moment is not a moment, but the balance of moments. The pacing was brilliant! The mix of time to RP and moments of unarmed panic were stop on! Well done all! Plus food! Plus live music!
2. Getting recognized directly by the King rather than through the "chain of command" by way of the Magistrate. But apparently my position reports directly to the crown and not through that line. So I learned better!
3. A better mix at the High Table. After 2 years it is still 100% NPC. We need to get Hamish and Mobius elevated. If we had nobles in our own number we might learn better how to act around them. To my mind nodding while sitting is NOT bowing when a noble approaches! If my old knees can get up... <grin>
4. Hearing the King proclaim his command that the Duke was to be dealt with was both a pleasure and a shock. Had not he done enough already to have earned his destruction? Were not the deaths he had already caused and his tormenting of Ithawda spirit enough? Was a crime only a crime when it cost a noble some inconvenience? It might be that never will the ways of human nobles make full sense to a low blooded Bata. Be that at it may, now the full force of the Breach had its full attention and efforts focused without distraction on the Dukes final death. That alone was enough to make much more than that palatable.

I enjoyed the Masquerade immensely! Although any excuse to wear my pretty gown... (lol)

1. Making Lady Elizabeth (Sarah) cry when I conveyed Isawda's heartache over DAM's cruel actions
(the irony of this doesn't escape me)
2. [nothing Plot can 'fix'] Watching the last of the wine being spilled on the table... very sad
3. Wine! Music! Dancing! Much more dancing!!
4. It was tough for Yetta to not spit wine through her nose upon hearing Lady Elizabeth refer to the King as 'Little Ricky'

THANK YOU!
Truly, I had a great time.

After the sudden kidnapping, and Hammish marching out saying "I must find her," a bunch of other people got together to form our own search party. We headed outside and...weren't quite sure what to do next. So someone went around to the back door and asked. We were told that after 20 minutes of searching (it had only been 1, maybe 2 OOG), we'd turned up nothing. A few people grumbled and returned to the masquerade, the rest kept going. We were told that the Home Guard said they'd take care of it, and we should go back to the festivities. Most of those left grumbled and returned to the masquerade, but three of us pressed on into the sewers, saying "screw the Home Guard!" ...and we encountered large numbers of were-creatures that we weren't the slightest bit equipped to handle. THAT was enough to get the last of us to give up. Kudos to the quick thinking that allowed us to keep trying, despite not being "supposed to" fix things yet. A lesser person could have just said "you're not allowed to work this out yet," but we got to try, and dammit, that kind of freedom is important!

Took up a post near the door, ready to Shun the next attacker back out of the masquerade...just as the attackers stopped coming. Okay, that was bad timing on my part. Saw Garridan dead on the floor outside, ran to check on him. His body dissipated in my arms. Well damn.
This brings up a thought, though--when a character dies at a Tavern Night, how is resurrection handled? The resurrection itself should take some time, of course, and maybe some more time should be taken for the person to get back from...wherever the local Earth Circle is, but...how do we...do that...? I don't think this was ever made entirely clear.
Also, when I asked "how long until you resurrect?", Garridan didn't seem to know how to answer that question. Healers need to know what they can ask, but everyone else needs to know how to answer, too.

Combat is scarce at these one-night events, and when it does occur, it's usually dealt with in a matter of seconds. Very few people being allowed to bring their weapons in meant the first round of it lasted a bit longer than usual this time, as people had to rush over to the weapon chest at the door, but even so...I don't like to think of combat as being the highlight of the evening, but I kind of wish I could get a little more involved in it. I suppose the attacks on the nobles right at the start was something...

4. Gives[sic] us a moment from the perspective of your character
Was not expecting to be nearly as shaken up as I was by the letter my brother had couriered to Mobeus...especially seeing as, OOG, I'd already read it and even noted a couple missing characters here and there (like the 's' in "please"). Realized after reading it to Mobeus that Noman didn't actually know what was going on with his brother in his absence, and finding out there were Nightmare Elementals...scary stuff.
Wanted soooo badly to help Raydra(sp?) get out of having to fight battles over her Champion title, which she's made quite clear she never wanted in the first place...but I'd make a terrible Champion, and Noman wouldn't even be around for some time after the masquerade, and something tells me a Champion that skips town would be looked at even harsher than one that doesn't accept challenges from gnolls. Also heartbroken that the challenge issued had to end in death--was all but ready to leap forward with a healing spell for the defeated Dark Elf, but with all those nobles watching and not trying to stop the Killing Blow, I couldn't. Stupid Dark Elves and their stupid honor...

↓ Name is in signature, and not liable to stop being there.

1) The mix of types of rp. I got to do all of my favourite things, socialize and laugh, be sneaky and have a couple moments of panic and legit emotional moments for Derya. The music and food were lovely and the rumors. THE RUMORS. I <3 you guys.

2) Fixables...Nobody would concede to ask Az'Caine to dance. :( I asked soooooo many people to do it.

3)MOAR RUMORS. But honestly, if we could maintain even most of the richness of rp throughout future events (which is on us players as much as anyone) I would probably die of happiness.

4) Panic. Her heart thumped sickeningly in her throat. With all the chaos stirring about her, no one seemed to notice Derya's rather intense discomfort. She downed a glass of wine and put it back on the table. People were buzzing about her, trying to figure out what had happened, how Her Grace and her Dark Elven associate could be taken so easily, so swiftly... And the Elf was drowning in panic. Phelan approached her, commenting on the situation. She answered in what she hoped was an appropriate manner, but her thoughts were spinning wildly.

She should find Mobeus. She could see him across the hall. As her heels clacked against the floor, however, someone else grabbed his attention and he vanished from her sight. Another surge of panic welled up. She felt she might be ill. It was suddenly both too hot and too cold in here. She waited for Crow to be available but the Earth Weavers were all abuzz as well and he seemed ever engaged. Wandering toward the head table, the Elf stood and stared. Had there not been so much chaos, so much worry, someone may have noticed how odd it was that the valdenhold woman stood eyeing both the Lady Zanthia and Lord Az'Caine.

I could go to Zanthia. She's far gentler. But..Maybe I need to be as straight up, as bold and willing to take my lumps as possible. If I am open, if I present myself to the more severe, perhaps my honesty will seem...more honest?

Choking back another urge to retch her butterfly-infested intestines, Deryas strode quickly, purposefully to the white haired man. "My Lord Az'Caine? May I speak with you?"

This is Anthony Percival's (Sarryn) review of The King's Masquerade"

1. Being handed a weapon by Raedra under the table and not noticing the first couple times she tried to hand it too me.

2. I cant think of anything bad to say about this event.

3. I would like to see more rumors and the like around it really helped get me into character and into the world more.

4. As Sarryn was sitting at the table with his friends getting deeper into their cups, Raiedra comes and sits down beside me, "Good to see you Raiedra" I slur over my cup. She just smiles at me and I feel something tap against my leg, ignoring it I turn back to the group and continue talking, I feel the tapping against my leg and look back at Raiedra and she gives me a intense stare, and taps my leg again, reaching down I feel the cold steel of a blade in her hands as she hands it too me. Quickly sticking it in my belt behind my cloak I give her a nod and she nods back and takes her leave. Now being armed I feel much more at ease, which didn't last long because not long after the guard at the door was taken out and enemy's came storming in.

What did Crow think of the King's Masquerade?
There were... a lot..... I was ridiculously busy this session, which was really awesome, I love being able to help so many people with so many problems. It was really awesome seeing so many people progressing in their own personal guilds, so many promotions and recognitions throughout the evening. I'm really glad to see our little family of breachers evolving into a badass unit of ultimate ***-kickery. The rumors were amazing, whereas last tavern night I felt like with all the new faces (characters as well as players) I had nothing to talk about with any of them, and so RP got a little... choked throughout the evening, with the rumors that we were given it was so much easier to walk up to a stranger and say, "Hey, have you heard hundreds of people are dying because of.... etc".
Hard to say this month, plot did such an amazing job I'm not sure what I can post. They paid excellent attention to IBGA's, had some awesome and hairy combat situations pop up, as well as progressing the story beautifully that I am remiss to really put down anything I didn't like.

Rumors, oh my god rumors. I frickin loved the rumors, they made it so much fun to just sit around the table and talk. As well kudos on finding such a talented Dulcimer player, the live music really blew me away when I realized that it wasn't playing over speakers or anything. Finally, I am a huuuuuge fan of the narrative, I love seeing a story progress, it really gets my kicks out of RP. I would love to see more of these amazingly crafted, and long-term style narratives in the game, they're definitely why I keep coming to LARP in the first place.

"Heh, damn glad I bought a cassock with such ridiculously large sleeves", thought the tribesman, watching the dark elf begin to circle his comrade in an honor duel to the death. He thought she would be fine, but given that she was wearing nothing but a finely tailored dress, Crow thought it better to be prepared in case the tides of her duel turned. "Boris, hide me for a moment", he whispered to his dwarven friend, who obliged and silently moved a few feet to the left, blocking view of the high table to Crow. Power began to emanate from the tribesman's hands underneath the rough burlap of the cassock he'd acquired for this ridiculous masquerade. "If I bind him first, I can move in to heal Raedra, shatter the elf's weapon and put myself between her and the high table to let her finish the duel before any repercussions hit either of us." He thought to himself, lost in tense thought during the few moments between a duels commencement and it's first inevitable blow. "Once again this damn kingdom is angry at it's own defenders for following their orders. I would have never thought killing a gnoll would lead to one of our own having to fight for her life.", Crow thought as the blows started to rain down between both combatants. "Indeed, at the first sign of trouble, or mischief, or honorless backstabbing, I will tip the scales of this duel and have words with this king before I'm put down by the white haired bastard."

These thoughts turned Crows inquisitive look into more of a stern frown, his brows furrowing as his eyes flitted to the High table momentarily before returning to watch the duel.

"I'm sure she'll be fine though."

Last edited:
Watching Boris get searched, over and over and over again, while at least three other people were walking in and out with weapons. At one point, I walked in with a dagger literally in my hand. After Garridan got attacked and Craig's sergeant told me I could arm myself, I just lifted my cloak and showed him the sword I'd had tucked under there for at least five minutes.
The music. The food. THE MUSIC. It added an awesome level of realism, and I loved when people got up and danced while everybody clapped the rhythm.

2. Post your less favorite moments
The only thing that irritated me even slightly all night was being told to gather a group to investigate Elizabeth's estate, then promptly losing half my people because they apparently need to lead other groups. couldn't be helped though, I suppose. Third getting promoted from corporal....to corporal confused the hell out of me as well, but since I don't want to be promoted, I was actually relieved.

More live music? Would that even be possible? I think I only heard a couple rumors, but that's on me.

4. Give us a moment from the perspective of your character
Hefting the dagger under my cloak as I watched Raiedra and the dark elf fight, I leaned over to Boris and muttered in his ear. "Bastard had a magic armor. If he wins, we waylay the cheating bastard outside and leave him bleeding in the ditch." Glancing around at the other members of the brotherhood, I could see from the dark looks on their faces and their angry mutters that they had had the same thought.

I loved everything! There was so much to do, so much to entertain myself with. Music, food, and RUMORS!

There was nothing that I can complain about.

Rumors. As previously mentioned by others, it was rather awesome to actually know some things that were going on rather than Illandra not knowing anything...even though she's been in the City the entire time.

It was a flurry of people and music. The Masquerade as grand as it was, reminded Illandra of home. Sure, they didn't have large lavish parties like this one, but oh the parties they had had! The thought of her mother, father and elder sister was certainly in in the forefront of her mind and she was sure they would be for most of the eve. Illandra blinked a few times, getting the forming tears at bay, and stood, determined to enjoy herself and not mope about thinking of lost moments with her beloved family. Mobius was here, alive and well. He was all the family she needed to be happy.

Chelsea - Minion C

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back