Riposte and Empowered Strike

Draven

Count
A character can Riposte an Assassinate with a Doom Blow, and neither the Assassinate nor the Doom Blow are expended.

Can a character Riposte an Empowered Strike with an unused spell in memory and also expend neither? This seems to be mechanically equivalent (especially when you factor XP costs), but I wanted to confirm.

A character can Riposte an Assassinate with a Doom Blow, and neither the Assassinate nor the Doom Blow are expended.

Can a character Riposte an Empowered Strike with an unused spell in memory and also expend neither? This seems to be mechanically equivalent (especially when you factor XP costs), but I wanted to confirm.

Seems like it.

Any offensive skills or spells used from memory during this attack are not expended, but must have at least a single use available at the time of Riposting Blow.

The Riposte skill specifically states that any offensive skills or spells used are not expended in the weapon swing. I'm very excited to see my spell sword pals use this ability!

Edit: Darnit ya beat me by seconds!

Reactions: Ken
Dangit, I totally missed the spell part. Thanks, guys!

“Oh no! My buddy is dead!! Someone help him! We have no Life spells!”

“I got this.” -Recharges Parry with a minute of focus.

“I don’t understand...”

“Hit me.”

“....what?”

“HIT ME SO HE LIVES!”

“Uh...2 Normal?”

“Parry! Spell Strike Life!” (with Perfect Riposte!)

—————

This example of how awesome Spell Swords are is brought you by the number 9 and 180 XP in Martial skills.

“Oh no! My buddy is dead!! Someone help him! We have no Life spells!”
I'm not sure that this would work if the life spell was already expended by the spellsword. Perfect Riposte only explicitly says
A character with this Ritual may utilize a skill which they have already expended for Riposting Blow’s offensive attack when utilizing Riposting Blow.
So I think that it falls on a technicality of whether memorized spells are considered a subset of skills.

@Polare , since Riposte works with both spells and skills, is it intended that PR is only intended to work with expended skills, or was spells unintentionally left out?

I'm not sure that this would work if the life spell was already expended by the spellsword. Perfect Riposte only explicitly saysSo I think that it falls on a technicality of whether memorized spells are considered a subset of skills.

Why not? Spells fall into the category of scholarly skills. I would say that spells are also skills by this deffinition and expended spells are eligible for use under Perfect Riposte. If the intent was to only allow martial skills to be used with perfect riposte then I imagine that would have been specified. I suppose we'll hopefully get an official answer soon.

This is insane.

How does spellsword keep getting better? Lol

10xp of skill and a passive ritual is getting you 8xp worth of stuff for free.

Not including the extra xp that you would need to spend to be able to buy an additional enhanced strike and 9th level spell.

I’d consider that a more than fair exchange.

Back