Ripping from a Bind

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex319

Artisan
While ripping free from a Bind spell are you allowed to move around? Or does ripping free require concentration so you couldn't move and do the rip-free count at the same time?

There is nothing in the rules that states you have to stand still. You can perform any three count while moving as long as you meet all of the pre-requisites of the three count (weapon on the torso during killing blow, Monster Strength of correct or higher value, pivoting on your right foot when pinned), but like all three counts, they can be interrupted by you using a skill.

Upvote 0
Ripping from a bind is a matter of monster strength. I would say the part of the body affected by the binding cannot move but other parts still can.

For example if your arms are bound to the body you can still walk. If you were strong enough to break free you could do it as you walk.

Upvote 0
You do not need to remain still to perform a rip free, though you cannot use any other abilities while you do so.

Upvote 0
This is a tad bit off topic but, I wanted to clarify it here since this is a common misconception.

Superhuman Strength (Commonly called Monster Strength) and Escape Binding (Commonly called Rip From Binding) are separate skills.

Superhuman Strength only conveys the ability to rip from Entangle (Just like an Endow). It does not convey the ability to rip from any other binding, no matter the amount of Superhuman Strength.
Otherwise Escape Binding and the types that it can escape from should be written on the card.

Superhuman Strength is defined on page 73 of the ARB.

It reads
"Superhuman Strength: Any creature with superhuman strength can do more damage with any particular weapon than can a normal human. Creatures with Superhuman Strength may also throw boulders and smash down doors. Walls may never be smashed.

This ability can also be used to perform certain limited role-playing tasks such as drag- ging an unconscious or debilitated creature for ten seconds. It cannot be used to throw other creatures or jump long distances.

A creature with this ability can rip out of the Entangle effect and perform other feats. It is a greater skill than what is represented by the Endow spell.

The amount of superhuman strength will be defined by a number on the monster card. This number will be added to any damage swing of the monster, including waylay damage, regardless of whether it is using a one handed or two handed weapon. "

Escape Binding is defined on page 71 of the ARB

It reads
"Escape Binding: Some creatures can rip free from all binding spells. This is a three-count action with the phrase “I rip out one, I rip out two, I rip out three.” While the creature is do- ing the three-count, it is vulnerable to attack. While ripping free, the creature may not use any skill requiring movement, such as Dodge.

A creature with this ability can break them- selves free of all binding effects, not just spells. This includes Entangle and Paste of Stickiness. The act of escaping will automatically interrupt a Killing Blow.

A list of which bindings the monster can escape from will be defined on its monster card. A creature with this skill does not take damage from the act of ripping free when rip- ping out of binding effects, but is of course still vulnerable to all other attacks.

This skill cannot be used to remove some-one else from a binding effect. "

Upvote 0
Huh. I actually didn't know they didn't correspond.

The cards out here tend to correlate the two (creatures with SS have corresponding bindings they can rip free from, and Weakness depletes that SS, causing monsters to lose the ability to rip from some bindings, depending upon the amount of SS remaining).

Upvote 0
The Monster Database has it correspond. The reason they can rip from bindings is due to the monster strength. This is also true of Golems from the Master Construct ritual. I believe this was not combined when they updated the ARB.

Upvote 0
The Monster Database has it correspond. The reason they can rip from bindings is due to the monster strength. This is also true of Golems from the Master Construct ritual. I believe this was not combined when they updated the ARB.

It's actually exactly the opposite- it used to be a direct corralation and was later dividided into two abilities. The monster database format hasn't been updated since.

Useless trivia.

JP

Upvote 0
Then that was also not updated on the Master Construct ritual as it has direct correlation there as well.

Rip Free- Constructs with Monster Strength can Rip Free of some binding effects on a 3 count.
+1 - Pin, Entangle
+2 - Pin, Entangle, Bind
+3 - Pin, Entangle, Bind, Web
+4 or greater - Pin, Entangle, Bind, Web, Confine

*Edit: added the quote from Master Construct Scroll.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back