Ritual Manipulation: Conservative Casting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr_Chill

Fighter
Quick question to make sure I am interpreting the rules correctly.

ARB said:
Conservative Casting: This allows the use of one less component. This ability cannot be combined with any other skill that allows a reduction in component cost and may only be purchased once.
Situation 1: I am casting an Expanded Enchantment ritual to add a Ward spell onto an item (difficulty 4 requiring 4 components) and the scroll requires: 1-Penna, 1-Cariosus, & 1-Truesilver

Can I use the "Ritual Manipulation: Conservative Casting" to cast the ritual with only 1-Penna, & 2-Cariosus (no truesilver), or do I need to have 1 of each of the required components (thus only applying the conservative casting to the "additional" component)?

Situation 2: I am casting a Cloak ritual (difficulty 4; requiring 4 components) and the scroll requires 1-Penna, 1-Cariosus, 1-Truesilver, & 1-Heartstone.

Can I use the "Ritual Manipulation: Conservative Casting" to cast the ritual with only 1-Penna, 1-Cariosus, & 1-Truesilver (no Heartstone), or do I need to have 1 of each of the required components?

Thanks!

I would say either of those are valid, that the magic just chooses a component not to take (and by "magic" I mean the ritual marshal).

Upvote 0
Can you combine Insert Component and Conservative Casting?

ARB said:
Insert Component: This allows the caster to substitue one component for a different one listed on the Ritual scroll. The caster needs to have at least one each of the components listed on the scroll; this allows for "additional reagents" for higher casting."

Situation 1.5: I am casting an Expanded Enchantment ritual to add a Ward spell onto an item (difficulty 4 requiring 4 components) and the scroll requires: 1-Penna, 1-Cariosus, & 1-Truesilver.

Can I use the "Conservative Casting" to eliminate the need for Truesilver and use "Insert Component" for the additional component needed so that I could cast the ritual with: 1-Penna, 1-Cariosus, and 1-Jetsam?

Situation 2.5: I am casting a Cloak ritual (difficulty 4; requiring 4 components) and the scroll requires 2-Penna, & 2-Cariosus.

Can I use "Insert Component" and replace a Penna for a Jetsam, thereby using 1-Penna, 2-Cariosus, & 1-Jetsam to cast the ritual?

Double Thanks!

Upvote 0
phedre said:
I would say either of those are valid, that the magic just chooses a component not to take (and by "magic" I mean the ritual marshal).
Does this mean though that the ritual caster who takes the ritual manipulation does 'not' get to choose which component they are 'conserving' by casting? I would have assumed that the ritual caster taking this manipulation would get to pick which component they did not 'need' and therefore be able to have that one missing, and hence the other ones ready.

Upvote 0
Here's where my preference and my reading of what's written differ.

It doesn't specify if its caster or marshal that chooses. I've seen people cast a ritual with only 3 of the 4 needed components present in the circle and the marshal was ok with it. I've seen the marshal ask the caster which one(s) were conserved, and I've seen the marshal randomly pick from the pile.

It would be my preference that all components need to be present to cast, and that the caster can choose which component(s) get conserved. Because it doesn't specify, it seems to be that anything from the above list is acceptable.

Upvote 0
phedre said:
Here's where my preference and my reading of what's written differ.

It doesn't specify if its caster or marshal that chooses. I've seen people cast a ritual with only 3 of the 4 needed components present in the circle and the marshal was ok with it. I've seen the marshal ask the caster which one(s) were conserved, and I've seen the marshal randomly pick from the pile.

It would be my preference that all components need to be present to cast, and that the caster can choose which component(s) get conserved. Because it doesn't specify, it seems to be that anything from the above list is acceptable.

Whoa...

So the conservative casting is random in which component is not expended? Is this a common practice? Can I get a second opinion, as to my reading I did not perceive any "random" draw or "magic" deciding what was not consumed. Again, I am most specifically looking for a ruling on my example 1.5 above. I want to make sure I understand what I am getting into before I step into the circle :)

Thanks to everyone that has replied!!!

Upvote 0
Dan was correct on his "yes and yes" answer for 1.5 and 2.5.

It doesn't specify which component isn't consumed, so I've seen marshals do the three things I listed.

Upvote 0
Check with you're marshal ahead of time. In you're specific case Ryan, please feel free to contact Paul, as I believe he will be rit marshing this.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back