Rivervale, Rivervale, Rivervale I speak your name and you should Appear.

Graham Wolsey

Scholar
Marshal
OOG: This is a message written by an NPC in consideration of the upcoming module day in March 2018.

Greetings members of the Court of Rivervale,

I have a proposition for you. One of your number is cursed, but you will need him very badly this weekend. If you pay me enough I will uncurse him for this weekend only. If you want to know more we can either speak in person or through the Dream Realms if you are too skittish to discuss the matter in person, I understand I'm a pretty big deal.

-Superbia

Superbia, we acknowledge your proposition. Because of its nature, and because it is hard to place trust in an unknown being based solely on their word, we would like to request more information about the nature of the curse and its target before we begin negotiations.

- Squire Aikoll of Rivervale

A dryad named Panax is affiliated with your court yes? I have the unique ability to be able to remove curses placed on individuals by the Fae. I believe that Panax has been cursed in this manner, specifically cursed such that he cannot return to his home, Foxglove Hollow where he will be very important in the near future.

-Superbia

Superbia,

Are you sure there's a curse? Our current reports from around the barony place Panax in Foxglove Hallow already. If there is a curse on him, of course we would be willing to negotiate for its removal, but without knowing it does exist, it's somewhat silly to have it 'removed.'

You know Panax better than I do, and have better access. If you feel confident he is not cursed, I suppose you will believe there is no need for my services. I'd suggest asking him about his time in Foxglove Hollow and seeing if his memories align with your reports. If they do, then perhaps I am mistaken... if not, well perhaps, I know something that you don't.

I don't have all the information on Panax, but I do have sufficient information to know he has been cursed by a Fae and you'll find it difficult to remove this curse without me. Perhaps there is another that can remove Fae curses that will undercut my price, but seeing as there hasn't been a discussion of price I find that hard to believe. Perhaps I shall do it for a mere song?

Oh wait... you probably assume that is expensive and I'm trying to trick you. Perhaps I should include a "transparency guarantee" where if you one of the court's chivalric types says to me with truthful words and honest intent that they were confused by the implications of their bargain then your group is under no obligation to pay. I'd be willing to agree to such a term or condition. My time is valuable, we should conclude negotiations by Midnight tonight or perhaps it would be best if I visit you in person.

-Superbia, definitely not a chivalric type

Oh yes, I have a lot of information about Foxglove Hollow, I'm very willing to sell that as well. Guaranteed to be relevant tactically and diplomatically or your fee back to you.

-Superbia, reasonable genius and maker of the BEST deals

Superbia,

I agree to bargain with you and, to the best of my ability, meet the price that is set; if I do not fully understand what is asked of me I also agree to state that. As your mental signatures have identified you as 'definitely not a chivalric type,' all I ask is a token of goodwill before we begin- just a useful piece of information about the situation in Foxglove Hallow. This gesture would go a long way to establish a working relationship. I would also like to know your fee for removing the curse on Panax. After we reach an agreement on that, we can further discuss a trade for more information.

I like you, you're smart.

Trying to get something for nothing is always a good idea. I do this all the time.

Ok, I'll play your game. I'll give you two truths and a lie about the situation in Foxglove Hollow. If we reach an agreement on anything I'll clarify what the lie is.

1. Foxglove Hollow has been invaded by the Fae that have poured forth from the standing stones as a result of a ritual, but most humans assume that they are bugs.
2. Sir Nathaniel Worden is also under the effects of a Fae curse, one that very few including Panax and myself can remove.
3. There are Fae in Foxglove Hollow and each of these Fae has a particular weakness related to how they feed and upon what they feed. I know many of these weaknesses.

As far as price... well make me an offer! I'll entertain almost anything, but if you want a list of some things I'll consider here is one, this isn't exhaustive:

-A Favor from a Fae you possess.
-A pile of gold or a magic item I like.
-A title I approve of, Lord, sounds nice.
-A public acknowledgment by your Baron that I am helpful and worthy of respect and admiration.
-A formal scroll I like.
-Free passage into your wards whenever I'd like.

-Superbia, Artist of Deals

Superbia,

While I don't have much, I can offer the following: a pocket watch, broken on my first night as a squire in the heat of battle and the memory of a very tough lesson; a necklace crafted by me with one of my own feathers; a magical gemstone containing the ability to restore a single life; or a song I sing sometimes that makes me think both of home and my brother. Are any of these a fit for your deal?

Hmm,

I'll take your magical gemstone that can return the dead to life.

In exchange I'll remove all Fae curses from Panax for 5 days plus 1 additional day for each bit of formal magic a caster from your court wishes to contribute to my ritual collaboratively. The process is simple and without possibility of backlash, but does require them being in a formal circle with me and Panax.

Do you agree to these terms?

-Superbia, very helpful

Superbia,

I do agree to these terms, and I will bring the item with me. I can't speak for the scholars of the court but I will pass along the message to all of them so they are at least prepared to offer their magic themselves if they desire. Will any of what I offered also work as an opening bid for information on Foxglove Hollow?

Squire Aikoll of Rivervale,

Only magical items interest me, trinkets no matter how precious to you, do me no good if the public doesn't value them. Perhaps if you were the Queen of Acarthia these items would work for me. I'd love to hear you sing when we meet though not enough to trade information, perhaps you'll do me a kindness in that regard. Accolades and honorifics are appealing to me as are some of the other things on the list. What matters to me is that other people care about and view these items with great value. An "Objective" observer claiming that what you have given me is worthwhile is what I want.

I do owe you as piece of information already though as we have come to a bargain.

"Sir Nathaniel Worden is also under the effects of a Fae curse, one that very few including Panax and myself can remove."

This is untrue, or at least not true to the best of my knowledge. I do have a strong suspicion what is wrong with Worden, but it is not a Fae curse, at least in technical terms.

-Superbia, owner of a magic item

Superbia,

Thank you for the clarification of the untruth you gave earlier. In regards to obtaining any other information would you be willing to negotiate when you temporarily remove the curse from Panax? As you've declined my other offers it would make things smoother if I could confer with the rest of the court before we select another offering.

Of course!

I'll meet you on the outskirts of Foxglove Hollow bright and early at the crossroads to Ramsey, Cobblefen, and Hearthwood. You'll know me because I will be a man with antlers and garb of pure black. I will have a circle of power set in the Crossroads so we can do the ritual, these rituals work best at crossroads!

I thank you for your correspondence and ask for one more deal before I depart. I am sure your court is numerous and powerful. I wish to secure my safety at this meeting as some react with violence when they discover I am not "normal", but instead exceptional. In exchange for a promise of safety I shall give you a juicy piece of information I'm sure you will take great comfort in receiving just like I take great comfort in knowing I shall not be aggressed upon unless I take offensive action first.

-Superbia, the Black Hart

Superbia,

I give you my own word that no harm will come to you from the court for the duration of the meeting and for a half hour past your departure, to protect you while you leave, so long as you do not take action against any of us first. I hope that works.

Last edited:
Acceptable, I accept your promise.

Your information:

The Fae Creatures, or as I call them "Fae Spawnlings" that have streamed into Foxglove Hollow are not beings of Faerie. They are actually "native" creatures to this plane created by the eggs of some giant bugs mixed with the magics of the plane of the Fae. The eggs were taken to the Fae plane and allowed to incubate there for a few months and then were allowed to exit the plane through a ritual only possible at the Equinox. These "Fae eggs" birthed several different types of Fae that have more in common with Magical Creatures than Fae. These Fae Spawnlings as I call them are often barely sentient and cannot curse anyone. They also die permanently when they die on this plane unlike most Fae. Traditional concerns such as the Fae returning to seek revenge after being killed will not be needed to be taken into account when fighting them. They operate under a Hive Mind controlled by a central source and individuals with the ability to hear Hive Minds will be able to gain insight into what the creatures want.

I hope you'll agree this information is helpful. See you soon at the Crossroads. I shall be retiring now. Have a good evening.

Superbia, the Black Hart

Last edited:
Back