Rogue Build Help

Joshobeb

Returning to the game, have a level 7 from NPCing back in the day.

I'd like to make a rogue with some utility, and am stuck between alchemy pure rogue or earth magic adept. Any recommendations for which (or something else I'm not even thinking about) would generally be more effective? I'm leaning more towards alchemy because thematically it sounds more interesting but don't really know how it functions in game.

Alchemy is pretty solid. Maybe even more so than it was in 1.3 as it allows you to unlock the per day rogue skills now, and the incant is a syllable shorter.
Also, with fluid classing you can start alchemy rogue, get yourself a couple dodges, and then start buying earth spells and go adept when the xp cost makes sense.
70xp or so would let you pick up sword and board, educated, herbal lore, a dozen or so levels of alchemy and a dodge, which is not a bad spot to be in.

I would second what Justin said. The advice I have given to all my friends that started that expressed interest in playing adept, scout, or spellsword was to do the above: pick one of the 'pure classes' (Fighter, Rogue, or Scholar), build a solid base set of skills, then spread out to the secondary set and change class when the hybrid costs allow.

Fluid class is the best thing to have ever happened to the under level 20 split class crowd.

Something to keep in mind.

Alchemy is a good resource as long as you have the money to support it. Spells might be more expensive for now (if you go Adept, this might change). If you don’t want to play the production game, spells are versatile and cost zero coin to use. Even a first level Slow or Disarm spell could be handy for the burgeoning Rogue.

Back